Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding a Spot
beachgrl 12:12 PM 11-01-2011
Had a parent call who lives in another area but is taking a job locally and wants to know if I can hold a spot for her child for a couple months until she is supposed to start work. First, would you charge a deposit or registration fee and what would be a reasonable amount to charge weekly/monthly to hold the spot for thus child?

She knows my normal weekly rate is $125, wants an in home setting and the child is preschool age which would be great..I really want to get enrollment up past two kids and this child would be full time so that would be great..I'm wondering what I should charge to make a lil extra until they start but yet not charge too much that she won't choose my center?
daycare 12:20 PM 11-01-2011
I will only hold a spot for 6 weeks max

They will pay 1/2 normal daycare rate to hold the spot. They can pay all at once or they can pay weekly every friday.

The fees are not refundable for any reason should they decide not to enroll.
Mandy_Jane 12:21 PM 11-01-2011
I would say you should charge at least 1/2 of the weekly fee to hold the spot for her. I HATE holding spots because it causes you to lose out on SO much income! Good luck!
wdmmom 12:54 PM 11-01-2011
I hold spots for prospective families for up to 3 months with a 1 month non refundable deposit.
beachgrl 03:16 PM 11-01-2011
Thanks for the responses, I would worry about holding it and possibly losing out on another child but love that this is a preschool age child, I have three..well almost four ft open spots so I am needing to fill them somehow and if I can get some bit of income for it, I think I will have to do it if she is willing, we will see about that. I'm thinking of charging her $50 a week to hold it, 62.50 would be half my regular rate...but I want her to go with me so thought $50 is better than nothing and o course it would be nonrefundable if she decided to go elsewhere later
wdmmom 03:45 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
Thanks for the responses, I would worry about holding it and possibly losing out on another child but love that this is a preschool age child, I have three..well almost four ft open spots so I am needing to fill them somehow and if I can get some bit of income for it, I think I will have to do it if she is willing, we will see about that. I'm thinking of charging her $50 a week to hold it, 62.50 would be half my regular rate...but I want her to go with me so thought $50 is better than nothing and o course it would be nonrefundable if she decided to go elsewhere later
If it's possible, do it! I have yet to find a family will pay a fee to hold a spot but not use it.
Tags:holding fee, holding spot, holding spot - fee, holding spot policy, holding spots
Reply Up