Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wording Help Please
DancingQueen 05:13 AM 12-09-2010
I'm trying to create a contract verbiage that includes the information below.

My hours are 8-4:30
I have made an exception for ONE family
Dad leaves work at 4:30 so I have contracted them until 5pm
but when they originally signed on it was understood that he could be at my house in 15-20 minutes
and in the beginning he arrived at 4:40-4-45 regularly.

as time went on he got closer to the 5pm - but he was going home to change etc....

I want to word somehow that this time adjustment is an exception that I've made for them and I want them to leave work at 4:30 and drive straight to my house.. but I won't start late fees until 5:01 because I know that stuff happens and I want to be fair... but since I'm making this exception for them I want them to be respectful and get to my house as quickly as they can.

How can I word that? I'm udpating their contract effective 1/1 and I WANT this in there.

I've done the standard handbook that all of my clients will recieve - but the specific details of each family is outlined in the actual 1 page (2 sided) contract that they sign that states they've read (and initialed) all pages in the handbook and they also agree to the specific details outlined on this contract they are about to sign.

Please help - I've got to get these done today EEEEEK
Pammie 05:24 AM 12-09-2010
Well, honestly, if your late fees aren't going to start until 5:01 - then there's no way that you can tell him he has to be at your house (without paying late fees) before that.

If you really want him to pick up straight from work, then have your late fees start at 4:46.

Just my opinion
DancingQueen 05:40 AM 12-09-2010
that is what I was afraid of - but the intentionally did 5pm to cover any traffic that they might hit and to play it safe.
it irritates the crud out of me that he goes home to changes his clothes first some days.
marniewon 05:57 AM 12-09-2010
I agree - if you have contracted them for 5pm pick-up, and aren't charging late fees until 5:01, then there's nothing you can do.
Lilbutterflie 05:58 AM 12-09-2010
Well, you could tell this family that due to your own family needs, your hours are changing; and that a new contract is in order. State the hours in the new contract as 8-4:30 with late fees starting at 4:46. Then stick to it.
If you know for sure they are arriving late b/c of traffic, you may want to say that b/c it was due to traffic you will let it slide this once (just make sure you validate that there really was traffic on their route home- you can do this by looking at Google traffic!).
MyAngels 06:01 AM 12-09-2010
Maybe you could just speak to them about it: "I know I have contracted your hours until 5:00 p.m., but, as you know, I've made an exception to my 4:30 p.m. closing time for your family and I would appreciate it very much if you would come to pick up your child immediately after work." It couldn't hurt to ask, right?
jen 06:07 AM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Maybe you could just speak to them about it: "I know I have contracted your hours until 5:00 p.m., but, as you know, I've made an exception to my 4:30 p.m. closing time for your family and I would appreciate it very much if you would come to pick up your child immediately after work." It couldn't hurt to ask, right?
I agree with this...hopefully he'll realize you are doing him a favor and act accordingly.
DancingQueen 06:17 AM 12-09-2010
I think that is what I'll do. Thank you guys.
Abigail 10:11 PM 12-09-2010
I would say that you are only registered to be open from 8:00 am to 4:30 Monday thru Friday. Have in your contract that late fees go into effect after they're ten minutes late. Your late fees could be $1 per minute after your ten minute grace period. So if he shows up at 4:43 it's $3 and if he shows up at 4:50 it is $10 for the late fee. You can also have something in your contract that if arrangements are made in advance and agreed upon you may waive the late fee. You can also state something along the lines that if they're regularly arriving late that it could be grounds for termination. Another thing is that if they don't want to pay for a $5 late fee (if they arrive at 4:45 for example) then you can tell them that their rates are going up and late fees will not begin until 4:46 or 4:51 or 5:01....whatever your new contracted hours state. I personally need to make minimum wage or more to get by so if you're not making that the last hour then make sure to utilize your late fees or up their rate to make up the difference. Since you seem to only have this one family after 4:30 pm it wouldn't really make sense to say your rates change at this time to evening hour care rates because one family wouldn't be enough income to have this work. This approach would work if you watched multiple families later into the evening hours.
Tags:policies
Reply Up