Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Constant Illness!
Unregistered 07:06 AM 01-26-2012
I'm a regular but I logged out...
So if I didn't let dcb attend every time he was I'll he would never be here. How do you handle constant illness? My breaking point was this week when he threw up on me and I had no idea he was sick, dcm told me she had given him Tylenol that morning "for teething", she told me this at pick up.. So at 7am this morning my own child starting vomiting and is now sick. I decided to close today because I'm so sick of it all. I'm still sick with the cold he gave me 2 weeks ago. My family has never been so sick since this year! Kind of just a vent, but how often do you all refuse kids under the weather without a fever( teething- turns out to be flu- but dck has been dosed) or " just a little cold".
Meyou 07:13 AM 01-26-2012
Clear, runny noses are standard in the winter for me. Especially for the under 2 crowd. I go through a box of kleenex every 2 days most of the winter and I wash my hands more times than I can count. They have coughs infrequently too which is ok as long as they don't interfere with playing or napping (for me). Other than that I exclude.
Daycaremomof2 08:06 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm a regular but I logged out...
So if I didn't let dcb attend every time he was I'll he would never be here. How do you handle constant illness? My breaking point was this week when he threw up on me and I had no idea he was sick, dcm told me she had given him Tylenol that morning "for teething", she told me this at pick up.. So at 7am this morning my own child starting vomiting and is now sick. I decided to close today because I'm so sick of it all. I'm still sick with the cold he gave me 2 weeks ago. My family has never been so sick since this year! Kind of just a vent, but how often do you all refuse kids under the weather without a fever( teething- turns out to be flu- but dck has been dosed) or " just a little cold".
It's always worse when they infect your own kids- somehow it exacerbates the situation in the first place. I had a child like that: he was part time and a neighbor- THANKFULLY I told the mom ahead of time that I could only watch him temporairly because I was looking for full time. That saved an uncomfortable confrontaton and having to term a neighbor.... bad news (I no longer care for neighbors or friends children as a result). Anyway, after spending more money on medical bills as a result of this child than the actual income that he brought in (and I am not exaggerating either), I told the mom that I found a full timer and gave a notice to her that I could not continue. We ended on good terms.

I have very little tolerance for consistently sick kids, because I have my own baby in the house. I have 1 child now who has been here for 2 months, and has passed round some pretty bad stuff. I cut him some slack because his first week he came from a daycare center, so he brought all of those germs to my house, but he has been sick 2 times since, and I am debating on whether or not to keep him. I think I will see how it goes for the rest of the winter, but if he is getting sick all the time he is going to have to go. I know parents cant always take off of work, but none of the other 5 children I watch come sick at all, and he is always the one infecting everyone else. Makes is hard to bond with him
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy
Reply Up