Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Gate
Francine 03:21 AM 06-22-2010
I am in need of a baby gate for the end of my stairway, it's can't be the pressure type due to the location. If I am going to get a wall mounted one I would like to be able to take it down when I don't need it. And I don't want to spend a fortune.

Do any of you use anything like this?
jen 05:50 AM 06-22-2010
Target has one that works really well. You mount the hardware and when you don't need the gate it slides up and out.

Here it is...

http://www.target.com/Evenflo-Top-St...nd-bin%2Cprice

I didn't have any problems installing! I did most of it myself!
momma2girls 06:08 AM 06-22-2010
I actually purchased my two from Toys r us, and I know Walmart .com has the same ones. They are more expesive than the cheapo ones, but they are awesome- they have a swinging door that shuts behind you. Also is pressure mounted, you can take down at anytime, and is not ruining yur walls!!! I love my two!!! You will also!! They are the best!!!
jen 06:58 AM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I actually purchased my two from Toys r us, and I know Walmart .com has the same ones. They are more expesive than the cheapo ones, but they are awesome- they have a swinging door that shuts behind you. Also is pressure mounted, you can take down at anytime, and is not ruining yur walls!!! I love my two!!! You will also!! They are the best!!!
I think that they are for the top of the stairs...here at least you can't use pressure mounted. There are gaits specifically designed to be used in stairways and they are always installed with hardware.
momma2girls 07:11 AM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
I think that they are for the top of the stairs...here at least you can't use pressure mounted. There are gaits specifically designed to be used in stairways and they are always installed with hardware.
Yes, I have one at the bottom and the top of the stairs. These are onnly pressure mounted and work wonderful!!
Francine 07:29 AM 06-22-2010
I need something that isn't pressure mounted, they won't work in the space that I have.
jen 08:07 AM 06-22-2010
Yes, I have one at the bottom and the top of the stairs. These are onnly pressure mounted and work wonderful!!
That's really interesting. What brand is it? I've searched and searched and haven't found a pressure mounted stairway gate. And, to be honest, every single website said never to use a pressure mounted gate on the stairs. In MN it is against licensing to do so.
momma2girls 08:19 AM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by Miss Joy:
I need something that isn't pressure mounted, they won't work in the space that I have.
Oh, sorry!! They do have extensions on these gates as well. They might work after all- just measure what you need it for.
Michael 03:32 PM 06-22-2010
A couple of good ones that are adjustable and use pressure to stay in place.

North States Diamond Mesh Wood Gate - Pressure Mount - $17.99

North States Top-Notch Gate, Plastic Pressure Mount Gate - $16.06

momma2girls 03:56 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
A couple of good ones that are adjustable and use pressure to stay in place.

North States Diamond Mesh Wood Gate - Pressure Mount - $17.99

North States Top-Notch Gate, Plastic Pressure Mount Gate - $16.06

I have tried every single cheapo one out there, and they do not work at all!!! I found this one thru an open house on a house for sale. I purchased mine under Walmart.com- I have heard they are also at Toys r us as well. I can check on the brand as well- they are wonderful!!!
Michael 04:02 PM 06-22-2010
I used the plastic one for years. It is easy to remove, you just have to be careful not to apply too much pressure or else it will stress over time.

@ Iowa Daycare - can you post the picture here when you find it?
kimsdaycare 04:40 PM 06-22-2010
OK, they aren't cheap, but they do fit where a lot of other gates cant -
I just got this one and LOVE it!

http://www.retract-a-gate.com
momma2girls 04:49 PM 06-22-2010
I used the plastic one for years. It is easy to remove, you just have to be careful not to apply too much pressure or else it will stress over time.

@ Iowa Daycare - can you post the picture here when you find it?
how do you post pics on here? I am trying to figure out how to add my picture to here!! THe brand is Dream baby from Walmart.com- they are expensive, but well worth every penny!! They have a door that you pull up on, and it slams/latches behind you. I will keep trying!!
Michael 05:14 PM 06-22-2010
how do you post pics on here? I am trying to figure out how to add my picture to here!! THe brand is Dream baby from Walmart.com- they are expensive, but well worth every penny!! They have a door that you pull up on, and it slams/latches behind you. I will keep trying!!
How to Place Pictures in your Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone would like to post their picture in your reply it is pretty easy if your pictures are already on the web or on your computer. There are two ways to do this. Either use an existing internet address (URL) of an image OR by upload an image from your computer to our servers as an attachment. on on your computer

Post an image from and existing URL web address (the gate pictures above):

1) First find the picture on the webpage and right click your mouse over it. Click on "Properties" at the bottom of the dropdown window.
2) Copy the entire address (URL) of the picture. It will look like this: https://www.daycare.com/premiumpages/00138466/6.jpg
3) In your reply to this post you will see an icon that looks like a mountain.
Click on it and post the address that you copied for your picture.
Attached Thumbnails

The Second way is to upload a picture as an attachment:

1) After writing your post look below your comment area and you will see a button called Manage Attachments.
2) Click on the button and you will see 4 areas to upload load files.
3) Once you choose the image from your computer, click on the "Upload Image button".
4) Once the image is uploaded you will see the image name under "Current Attachments"
5) Click on the Close Window button and the bottom and post your image. I will include one at the bottom:
momma2girls 06:21 PM 06-22-2010
I am trying to download something on here for everyone to see-
Michael 06:28 PM 06-22-2010
Let me know if you need help. I am here.
momma2girls 06:34 PM 06-22-2010
Let me know if you need help. I am here.
I had the site and uploaded the picture, but it didn't lead it to anywhere.
Francine 06:55 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:

Now that is something that might work! Do you have to get any of the other attachments?
Michael 07:01 PM 06-22-2010
I had the site and uploaded the picture, but it didn't lead it to anywhere.
Can you give me the address? You can also PM me.
kimsdaycare 03:19 AM 06-23-2010
It comes with mounting hardware, but there is a banister kit available as well.

I found a code for half off an additional set of hardware, so I grabbed those too, so I can use it in more than one location. It can be used in all kinds of crazy angles and just lifts off the hardware to be moved. When retracted, it almost disappears. Very cool gate. Quiet, easy to operate and so much less of an eyesore than the rest I have had. Even my dh keeps making comments about how nice this thing is. Most people get to rid their house of gates in a couple of years, providers live with these things for a loooong time. I spent more than I normally would, but the investment was so worth it. Now if they would just make a retractable pack n play too I would be a very, very happy girl

Oh, and they ship super fast. Had it in a couple of days!
Francine 03:47 AM 06-23-2010
Now if they would just make a retractable pack n play too I would be a very, very happy girl
YES! If you find one I don't care what they cost I will buy 4 LOL.
Francine 07:31 AM 06-24-2010

Did you order yours on line or did you call? I have been calling for two days and always get an answering machine. I have some questions I would like to talk to somebody.
kimsdaycare 07:56 AM 06-24-2010
I ordered online. Sorry you are having troubles reaching them by phone
Francine 10:03 AM 06-24-2010
I ordered online. Sorry you are having troubles reaching them by phone
Well I sent them an email, she replied with " give me your telephone number and I will call you so that you can place the order" kind of weird but I did and she did call me so all is good but I find it kind of weird that they don't answer their phones they want you to leave a message and they call you back. Hopefully I get it Monday so that I can install it that night, I need it for my new guy starting Tuesday...very busy little dude
MarinaVanessa 08:16 AM 06-25-2010
I'm glad you found one. I also had a hard time finding a gate that wasn't pressure mounted. I have one at the top and bottom of my staircase and since my banister is made of metal I couldn't use pressure ones, they just won't work against my thin banister bars.

I ended up buying one from Babies R Us by Kidco. It's a white steel safety gate that's adjustable (24 1/2" to 43 1/2") and both sides are hardware mounted. It also comes with hardware for installing it to banisters so I mounted one side to the wall and the other side to the banister with the banister hardware. It has a latch on one side that you have to press and lift up to swing open, my 5 year-old hasn't figured how to get it off yet so for me it works great. It wasnt cheap though. $59.99 but I love it because you can remove the gate when you aren't using it (the wall mounts and banister mounts stay in place obviously).

Tags:baby gate, gates, pictures, posting pictures
Reply Up