Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fully Expecting Termination
laundrymom 11:10 AM 12-01-2011
Tylenol dad asked to see the regulation that says I can't give Tylenol. There is no regulation stating those words but it says " Ill children must remain seperated until picked up by parents or guardians.

Ugh.
SilverSabre25 11:15 AM 12-01-2011
which incident was this?

Call your licensor and see what she says about it.

I would tell the dad that regardless of whether or not you are willing to give Tylenol, a sick child still needs picked up.
laundrymom 11:16 AM 12-01-2011
He wants me to give Tylenol to grouchy child/ or if fever is present so they will be able to attend.
Meeko 11:18 AM 12-01-2011
Is it in YOUR regs?

I have it in my contract that we do not give medication.

It's not against state rules here..but it's against MINE and parents agree to that when they sign up.
daycare 11:20 AM 12-01-2011
legally you can't give it without permission... However, for the safety of the children you have decided NOT to give children over the counter meds.

does it state this in your PHB.

I just switched to no longer giving any meds, unless prescribed by a doctor and have been given complete diagnosis along with health plan.

I told the parents that I am not a doctor, dont have any medical background so I will not particiapte in giving a child medication unless a doctor states that it is necessary.

I told them that with all of the "accidental" deaths in infants, children and toddlers due to over dose of OTC meds, that I would no longer offer this service. No one argued it a bit.

I told them if they wanted to give it no problem, but that they would have to let me know if they gave their child any form of medication prior to coming to care. I have to be on the look out for possible allergic reaction to the medication, especially if it was the first time that they took it.

Also wanted to add,l that they cannot use OTC meds to mask any illness. I honestly think that if a child needs OTC meds to function, they really need to stay home.
SilverSabre25 11:23 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
He wants me to give Tylenol to grouchy child/ or if fever is present so they will be able to attend.
Do your state sick regs state "fever free without use of medication for 24 hours"? That should apply, I would think.
Unregistered 11:44 AM 12-01-2011
my policy states, (laundrymom)
they SIGNED it!

If you know they are ill - DO NOT BRING THEM. If your child becomes ill COME TO GET THEM. If there is vomiting, diarrhea, fever, green or yellow runny nose, or an undiagnosed rash they cant come to daycare. Child can return to daycare when:
Fever free without medication for 24 hours (teething does not cause fever)
Free of vomiting, fever or diarrhea without medication for 24 hours, this means 24 hours from last episode. If they last vomited at daycare at 330 pm, they cant return to daycare until 330 pm the following day, even if they do not vomit again at home. They must be out of daycare for 24 hours following illness. If they vomit at home after leaving daycare then they can’t return until 24 hours has passed from that episode. I know this sounds ridiculous and that most parents would never willingly expose another child to illness. Over the years we have had many bouts with preventable illness’s because parents brought their child back to daycare while they are still contagious. If your child is ill and has a fever, even when you give meds to alleviate fever, the child is STILL contagious even if fever comes down with medication. They must be FEVER free, SYMPTOM FREE for 24 hours without medication . They must also wait 24 hours AFTER the start of any antibiotic.
~ Please do not attempt to ‘mask’ illness with medications. I know your child well enough to that I can tell when they are medicated. This also becomes a safety issue should an accident occur and paramedics ask if they have had medication. If you feel the need to medicate your child then they need to be absent from daycare that day. My priority is to keep the children in my care SAFE, HEALTHY and HAPPY. I am unable to do that if I allow ill children to attend. While I know it is an inconvenience, your child’s health and the health of his/her playmates is worth more than you may lose by missing work. If it is crucial you do not miss work, then you must find alternate care for your ill child, maybe a friend or family member.
~ I would appreciate all medications to be given at home and not daycare. This includes antibiotics and allergy medications. I prefer medications be handled by parents or guardians. There are times when this is unavoidable and in this case ALL medication must be brought in daily with a detailed signed note giving permission to administer including time and dosage instructions. I am referring to medications for asthma, heart medications, etc. A doctors prescription and detailed administration directions from physician are needed and they are the only instructions I will follow. The medication must be for the child who is getting it. Ex: Billy cant have Sally’s meds even if they have the same illness. I will also only give medications 4-6 hours after arrival. If they need an initial daily dose, give it to them at home. I will NOT administer meds until I can ensure there will be NO chance for accidental overdose.

Parents signature and date _____________________________________________
laundrymom 11:45 AM 12-01-2011
my illness policy that they signed and I have on file.

If you know they are ill - DO NOT BRING THEM. If your child becomes ill COME TO GET THEM. If there is vomiting, diarrhea, fever, green or yellow runny nose, or an undiagnosed rash they cant come to daycare. Child can return to daycare when:
Free of vomiting, fever or diarrhea without medication for 24 hours, this means 24 hours from last episode. If they last vomited at daycare at 330 pm, they cant return to daycare until 330 pm the following day, even if they do not vomit again at home. They must be out of daycare for 24 hours following illness. If they vomit at home after leaving daycare then they can’t return until 24 hours has passed from that episode. I know this sounds ridiculous and that most parents would never willingly expose another child to illness. Over the years we have had many bouts with preventable illness’s because parents brought their child back to daycare while they are still contagious. If your child is ill and has a fever, even when you give meds to alleviate fever, the child is STILL contagious even if fever comes down with medication. They must be FEVER free, SYMPTOM FREE for 24 hours without medication . They must also wait 24 hours AFTER the start of any antibiotic.
~ Please do not attempt to ‘mask’ illness with medications. I know your child well enough to that I can tell when they are medicated. This also becomes a safety issue should an accident occur and paramedics ask if they have had medication. If you feel the need to medicate your child then they need to be absent from daycare that day. My priority is to keep the children in my care SAFE, HEALTHY and HAPPY. I am unable to do that if I allow ill children to attend. While I know it is an inconvenience, your child’s health and the health of his/her playmates is worth more than you may lose by missing work. If it is crucial you do not miss work, then you must find alternate care for your ill child, maybe a friend or family member.
~ I would appreciate all medications to be given at home and not daycare. This includes antibiotics and allergy medications. I prefer medications be handled by parents or guardians. There are times when this is unavoidable and in this case ALL medication must be brought in daily with a detailed signed note giving permission to administer including time and dosage instructions. I am referring to medications for asthma, heart medications, etc. A doctors prescription and detailed administration directions from physician are needed and they are the only instructions I will follow. The medication must be for the child who is getting it. Ex: Billy cant have Sally’s meds even if they have the same illness. I will also only give medications 4-6 hours after arrival. If they need an initial daily dose, give it to them at home. I will not administer meds until I can ensure there will be NO chance for accidental overdose.

Meeko 12:08 PM 12-01-2011

~ I would appreciate all medications to be given at home and not daycare. This includes antibiotics and allergy medications. I prefer medications be handled by parents or guardians. There are times when this is unavoidable and in this case ALL medication must be brought in daily with a detailed signed note giving permission to administer including time and dosage instructions. I am referring to medications for asthma, heart medications, etc. A doctors prescription and detailed administration directions from physician are needed and they are the only instructions I will follow. The medication must be for the child who is getting it. Ex: Billy cant have Sally’s meds even if they have the same illness. I will also only give medications 4-6 hours after arrival. If they need an initial daily dose, give it to them at home. I will not administer meds until I can ensure there will be NO chance for accidental overdose.

Don't sweat it...you're covered. The dad is just trying bully you by asking to see the reg. He's trying to panic and intimidate you.

I would say "Here it is. You agreed to it when you signed up"

If he says "I want to see a state regulation" tell him that not everything is regulated by the state and you have your own regs in place for the safety of the children. And your regs are no less important than state ones.

He is wanting to medicate to mask illness. Bottom line. Not allowed.
wdmmom 12:15 PM 12-01-2011
When you are giving him a copy of the signed illness policy, I'd give him a copy of your termination policy as well!
Meyou 12:31 PM 12-01-2011
I'd say you're more than covered as well. Dad is basically throwing a tantrum because he signed a policy that isn't working for him now.

Originally Posted by :
He has a fever according to dad therefore should not be allowed to attend.

Originally Posted by :
There are times when this is unavoidable and in this case ALL medication must be brought in daily with a detailed signed note giving permission to administer including time and dosage instructions. I am referring to medications for asthma, heart medications, etc. A doctors prescription and detailed administration directions from physician are needed and they are the only instructions I will follow.
And here you are covered from administering anything but prescription meds.
MarinaVanessa 12:43 PM 12-01-2011
I recently changed my policies to no medications given at daycare at all AND that if the child is being given any type of fever or pain reducer at home then the child must stay home for 24 hours after the last dose. Most pain relievers are fever reducers too so there would not be any way for me to tell if a child was fussy because he was in pain or if he had a fever if he was on a pain/fever reducer so I just don't allow it period, even when given at home.

And I never tell them that I created a policy because regulations unless it really was true. I just tell them that it's a policy that I created to protect the other kids in DC and that it's non-negotiable.

Laundry: are you thinking that DCD will give you notice or are you thinking of terminating them?
AmyLeigh 12:53 PM 12-01-2011
" Ill children must remain seperated until picked up by parents or guardians.

Ugh.
Ummm.....I know I am new at this but it's my understanding that if the child needs Tylenol, he is ill. Right??? Or are we medicating without need?

Kaddidle Care 02:32 PM 12-01-2011
  1. If you feel the need to medicate your child then they need to be absent from daycare that day.
  2. If it is crucial you do not miss work, then you must find alternate care for your ill child, maybe a friend or family member.
  3. ~ I would appreciate all medications to be given at home and not daycare. This includes antibiotics and allergy medications. I prefer medications be handled by parents or guardians.
1,2,3 easy as ABC!

Perhaps this parent needs to read this article:
http://marshallbrain.com/cp/tylenol.htm

The problem with Acetaminophen is that it affects the liver. The liver is the place where your body processes Acetaminophen to remove it from the bloodstream. This natural removal process is the reason why you have to take Acetaminophen every four hours or so. When you take too much Acetaminophen, it overloads the liver's ability to handle the drug. In the process, it creates a toxin that kills your liver, and you die several days later.
The thing that makes Acetaminophen dangerous, especially for children, is that the difference between a "dose" and a fatal "overdose" is small

laundrymom 06:37 PM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Ummm.....I know I am new at this but it's my understanding that if the child needs Tylenol, he is ill. Right??? Or are we medicating without need?
Yes that is the thing, he wants me to med for fussiness she's 2&1/2! Monday she had no fever, rash, anything. But was crying rubbing her head on floor for 3 hours. I asked how she was overnight, did they notice anything. ?
So he says, can I give med. I said no, that 1. I don't stock meds because2. I don't care for Sick children. No it's against regs for me to keep sick kids so no I'm not allowed to Tylenol them.
AmyLeigh 06:45 PM 12-01-2011
Ahhhh....now I get it.
Kinda like the parent who asks the doc to prescribe Ritalin because Junior is not behaving.....
Parenting in pill form. Interesting.
3kidzmama 07:53 PM 12-01-2011
Tylenol dad asked to see the regulation that says I can't give Tylenol. There is no regulation stating those words but it says " Ill children must remain seperated until picked up by parents or guardians.

Ugh.
Interesting that I read this post today.... I had a DCM pull her 5 mo. old dcb this afternoon from my daycare because I refused to give him tylenol. I made the choice to stop administering OTC medicines and will only give prescription meds if the label indicates a specific time for the dosage and if the child is in attendance at the specified time. Also, I reserve the right to refuse even those meds if the medicine is for a contagious illness.
I made the decision to do this several weeks ago, but wanted to make sure with licensing that I wasnt violating anything before making it official. Licensing told me that it is fully my choice whether to administer meds or not, but that such items as an inhaler had to be excluded. I agreed with this and wrote up my notice of policy change and distributed it to all my families.
I own a small daycare center, and currently have 27 families. Only one family protested the policy. It was my PITA family that should have the dcb in a bubble. They fuss over the most mundane things, always have a complaint, petty bs everyday. I have actually encouraged them multiple times to take their child elsewhere, to which they reply, Oh no, you guys do a great job with him. Really? Then why complain about stupid things constantly?
Anyway, this dcm tells me this morning that she knows that it's not in the state regs that we can't administer meds, and she wants her son to have a teaspoon of Tylenol every four hours for his reflux. Wha??? Reflux does not require Tylenol!! And that is way too much for a 5 mo old!!!
My reply was that I never claimed it was a state reg, but it is my policy and I will not budge. She threatened to pull him from care, and I replied "that's fine I'll have all his belongings ready at pickup." then she started back pedaling and saying that she didn't really want to pull him, I cut her off and said that I thought it was a great idea and the best solution for the both of us. Boy was she mad!!!
SilverSabre25 07:57 PM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by 3kidzmama:
Interesting that I read this post today.... I had a DCM pull her 5 mo. old dcb this afternoon from my daycare because I refused to give him tylenol. I made the choice to stop administering OTC medicines and will only give prescription meds if the label indicates a specific time for the dosage and if the child is in attendance at the specified time. Also, I reserve the right to refuse even those meds if the medicine is for a contagious illness.
I made the decision to do this several weeks ago, but wanted to make sure with licensing that I wasnt violating anything before making it official. Licensing told me that it is fully my choice whether to administer meds or not, but that such items as an inhaler had to be excluded. I agreed with this and wrote up my notice of policy change and distributed it to all my families.
I own a small daycare center, and currently have 27 families. Only one family protested the policy. It was my PITA family that should have the dcb in a bubble. They fuss over the most mundane things, always have a complaint, petty bs everyday. I have actually encouraged them multiple times to take their child elsewhere, to which they reply, Oh no, you guys do a great job with him. Really? Then why complain about stupid things constantly?
Anyway, this dcm tells me this morning that she knows that it's not in the state regs that we can't administer meds, and she wants her son to have a teaspoon of Tylenol every four hours for his reflux. Wha??? Reflux does not require Tylenol!! And that is way too much for a 5 mo old!!!
My reply was that I never claimed it was a state reg, but it is my policy and I will not budge. She threatened to pull him from care, and I replied "that's fine I'll have all his belongings ready at pickup." then she started back pedaling and saying that she didn't really want to pull him, I cut her off and said that I thought it was a great idea and the best solution for the both of us. Boy was she mad!!!
that is WAY too much for a 5 mo! It's not even technically recommended for a baby that young although the dosage is easy to extrapolate and available on Dr. Sears' website. But you're right, reflux and tylenol have nothing to do with each other, how strange. I would have said, "Yeah I need to see a prescription for that..."
Kaddidle Care 04:39 AM 12-02-2011
People are under the impression that because it's OTC and not prescription that it won't do any harm.

This is scary - please see my above post about the danger of overdosing on Tylenol.
My Daycare 06:03 AM 12-02-2011
If there was a reg/policy for everything we can't/won't do it would be an endless book. Dad can't make you do something that you won't do whether it is in your or your states handbook or not. As long as it doesn't state that you have to, which I'm sure it doesn't.
3kidzmama 06:57 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
People are under the impression that because it's OTC and not prescription that it won't do any harm.

This is scary - please see my above post about the danger of overdosing on Tylenol.
I actually copied the link you posted and texted it to the dcm (former dcm now). She hasn't responded.
laundrymom 11:27 AM 12-02-2011
I just found their contract from 2007. Yeah, the policy is there too. No med other than asthma or heart meds.
Tags:dope and drop, dope; drop, overdose, tylenol, tylenol - age appropriate
Reply Up