Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Tell DCPs That a Baby is Coming?
SilverSabre25 05:20 AM 10-11-2010
Apparently, I'm expecting a baby sometime next May or June. Just found out last night and am thrilled, though a bit taken aback.

When do you tell the daycare parents? HOW do you tell the daycare parents?

And, what do you do if you are going to need to make space for the new baby when it comes? I'm guessing I'll have to term someone if there isn't already a space available...but how? And who? And on what grounds?

I'm sure I'll have more questions on this subject in the coming weeks, but I'll leave it there for the moment.

BentleysBands 05:30 AM 10-11-2010
i experienced this years ago. i just told them cuz i was so happy and btw, CONGRATS!!!!!

if you need to make room, which i did, i chose the problem child i had . i just started sending home more and more notes on things i would have just sucked up. made it easier for me. good luck!
Former Teacher 06:06 AM 10-11-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Apparently, I'm expecting a baby sometime next May or June. Just found out last night and am thrilled, though a bit taken aback.

When do you tell the daycare parents? HOW do you tell the daycare parents?

And, what do you do if you are going to need to make space for the new baby when it comes? I'm guessing I'll have to term someone if there isn't already a space available...but how? And who? And on what grounds?

I'm sure I'll have more questions on this subject in the coming weeks, but I'll leave it there for the moment.

Congratulations!!!!!
Unregistered 06:14 AM 10-11-2010
Congrats. I got pregnant with my 3rd when doing daycare I told them right after my first doctor appointment when it was confirmed and I got the due date. I then sat each parent down told them I was expecting and when and I would be closing for 12 weeks and they where responsiable for finding alternate care for that time I had some great parents and they all understood. I also agree get rid of the most stressful child you have BEFORE your leave I got rid of 2 hahaha one was because he didnt listen, would hit. kick other kids and he was a SA the other one was a toddler who would bite, hit, etc. I used the reason I listed above. Good luck and MAKE sure you take off at the least 2 months with your baby because you can not get that time back
ddnanny13 06:33 AM 10-11-2010
I am also in this situation and will possibly have to make room as well. If I do have to term someone I will be looking at it financially as well as who I feel doesn't fit into my care the best. I have one DCB who is fairly naughty and would choose him if that were all I was basing things one but he also has a baby sister so I can't afford to term them both. I have one DCG who is also quite a handful however her mom works with my DH so I don't want to term her and create unease for him at work. I would suggest you look at from those 2 angles and create a list of "pros" and "cons" to terming each. Then once you make your decision, try and give them as much notice as possible. Hopefully they will respect you for telling them ahead of time and so on. If not well, tough s*** in my opinion, no reason you should feel guilty about creating life! Congrats!
MarinaVanessa 07:05 AM 10-11-2010
First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!

HOW do you tell the daycare parents?
When I found out that I was prego by taking a home prego test I first scheduled a clinical prego test to make sure that it was accurate. Once that test confirmed that I was I then waited until I was 2 months into my first tri-mester. That was just my personal preference and paranoia lol. I didn't want to announce the news and then something happen that first-trimester KWIM.

Once you feel comfortable and ready to tell them you could just tell them each in person. "I have great news to tell you. We're expecting a new addition to our family!" Then if they have questions you can handle them each in turn and address any concerns they may have.

If a spot opens up between now and the birth of the baby you may just want to keep the spot open for your baby so that you won't have to term anyone later, or just take someone as a drop-in. If you don't have someone leave you during your pregnancy I'd check with your regulations to see your options. For example, in CA we have to be licensed and for a small home-daycare we can have 6 kids but no more than 3 infants. If you have a regulation like this then you will have to let an infant go (if you are maxed out on infants). If you have toddlers only then you can always weed out the "bad seed" and give notice to a family that constantly gives you trouble.

Whatever you do I would give them at least 2 weeks notice in a letter and just say that you have to make room for the new baby. Personally I would give a month of notice so that they can take their time in finding another daycare especially if they are a good family. Make sure that your notice has the families last date of childcare "Your last day of childcare will be ______" so that if they don't find another daycare you don't end up stuck and over capacity. I would make the letter be vague but assuring that the reason they are being let go is because you need the space for the new baby, that way there are no hard feelings or threat of retaliation from a "bad seed".

Good Luck.
daysofelijah 07:09 AM 10-11-2010
I waited until about 12 weeks to tell dcparents. I told them I would be taking 2 weeks off. None of them had trouble finding alternate care for the 2 weeks luckily.
My dd was a surprise so I had to end up telling the family that had been planning on a baby spot around the same time I had my dd that I wouldn't be able to take their baby. So unfortunately I lost the older sister I had at the time, but they did stay until I had my baby.

Congratulations!
kitkat 07:28 AM 10-11-2010
Congrats! I'm expecting our surprise baby in March

Tell your parents when you feel ready and comfortable. I told my parents early on with DD, but there were some complications and they needed to be told. This one I waited a bit (more so because I was in shock/disbelief), but told before my 8 week appt.

As far as having to term someone...I would look at who joined last, behavior, and who can you afford to lose. When DD was born, I had to term one and it ended up being the one who joined last, but was also a behavior issue. For this one, I'm going to term my newest family, but they are only here very part time. I'll be figuring out my maternity leave after my ultrasound and will tell the family within the next week or two.
JJPlaycare 09:33 AM 10-11-2010
CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!! A new baby is a joyous time, surprise or planned, you are bringing a new life into the world and there should be no shame in doing that!! I agree with everyone up above by getting rid of your trouble maker!! You shouldn't feel ashamed in doing this, and anyone should understand that you obviously need space for your own child!! I would tell them when you are comfortable! I am due in Dec and I told my parents right away, after my first clinical appointment that is to make sure things were confirmed! I am taking 4 weeks off and then my mom is comming to do daycare for 2 additional weeks! No one complained they were happy for us and are excited to meet the new addition!! Good Luck and I hope you are getting rest and feeling good!
kendallina 09:58 AM 10-11-2010
Congratulations!! I have no advice as I haven't been there yet, but, YAY!!
DancingQueen 10:18 AM 10-11-2010
congrats!!

I think you should tell all of the parents now that you'll be terming one of them - and you'll base it on how good the parents treat you through the course of the pregnancy - who brings you the most goodies - who picks up their kids early - who give bonuses. and let the games begin!!! LOL
MarinaVanessa 10:26 AM 10-11-2010
Originally Posted by sbschildcare:
congrats!!

I think you should tell all of the parents now that you'll be terming one of them - and you'll base it on how good the parents treat you through the course of the pregnancy - who brings you the most goodies - who picks up their kids early - who give bonuses. and let the games begin!!! LOL
LOL!! Great Idea!! I don't know why we all don't do this .
kidkair 01:38 PM 10-11-2010
congrats!!

That sounds great! I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to that.

OP: Congratulations! I have a family who is trying for a second kid. They have let me know that they are telling no one about the pregnancy until they are 5 months along because she has miscarried more than once in the first three months. I know many people who don't tell until 3 months just to be sure the pregnancy holds.
SilverSabre25 02:50 PM 10-11-2010
Thanks for all the congratulations and advice, everyone!

congrats!!

I wish! That would be awesome!
Tags:notice of pregnancy, pregnancy
Reply Up