Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>who does teachers only or school year only???
Crazy8 12:21 PM 07-28-2014
anyone?? I am seriously considering it. My other thought is to take part time only (all teachers around here would be full time) and end up working 4 days a week year round.

If you do teachers only, what specific contract terms do you have that would apply to teachers/school personnel as opposed to a year round daycare?? I am thinking no paid vacation, maybe just a few personal days? Definitely no free week for them (that I currently give clients). Trying to think of what else.
AnythingsPossible 12:44 PM 07-28-2014
I am working towards only watching teacher's children within the next year or two. My fee schedule will be as follows;

$575.00/Month during the school year. The only difference is December will be $300.00 because of winter break. At the beginning of summer break, they will pay $575.00 for a deposit on the next school year which will allow them 21 days to use throughout the summer.

Half of my families right now are teacher families and this is essentially what I do with them, except for the summer. They pay half rate throughout the summer and can come as little or as much as they want--paying extra if it is more then half. I would rather have less income and more time off in the summer.
AmyKidsCo 01:09 PM 07-28-2014
I have a friend who only took teachers. She didn't charge over the summer, but banked all her checks and drew a "paycheck" each week so she'd still be "paid" over the summer.

I have another friend who took little ones during the school year then did a school-age-only program during the summer. The little ones' families had to make other arrangements - vacations, family, etc. I know it's not what you were asking about, but it shows that families can make other arrangements if they really want to.

If I could afford it I'd love to work things out to have summers off - DH is a teacher so we'd have lots of time together - but right now we can't afford it.
Crazy8 02:28 PM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
If I could afford it I'd love to work things out to have summers off - DH is a teacher so we'd have lots of time together - but right now we can't afford it.
That is how I was for many, and back then I always had at least 1-2 families who were teachers and took the summers off. Most summers I had a lighter load, which meant less income and I hated it, needed that money!!! Now I am at a point where I don't "need" the money quite as much as I need the break, LOL! My kids are older and hate being tied down to the house during the week and this is honestly the first summer I can recall not having a single teacher in my program and now I want them all to be teachers. I am thinking if I could just up my rates a little bit I could survive the summer without the income. I'd even go to a 2 day a week program for summer to bring in some money and give the teachers a break to get things done (I like this idea so the kids aren't shell shocked when school starts up again).
spinnymarie 04:51 PM 07-28-2014
I do teachers only. We have a higher daily rate than anyone else in town, but the teachers pay only for (and can only attend) 195 days/year - the 185 contracted teacher days plus ten 'prep' days before the start of the school year, since teachers do need a few non-work days to get things done, in or out of the classroom. Buy materials, set up the room, etc.
It works out that the teachers pay about $1000 less than they would for a daycare that they paid 50 wks/year at the higher-than-average-and-great-quality-rate in town Not the average rate, though, we're still higher than that.
So we work 195 days/year as well, we just follow the local district calendar teacher workdays and add ten at the beginning of the year.
We don't do any personal days or holidays or unpaid/paid vacations. Since our rate is higher, those get worked in
hope 05:31 PM 07-28-2014
Teachers don't pay for winter break or summer but they keep home paid all federal holidays, spring and fall break and any days they have off of school. They pick up early for half days and drop off late for delays. I enjoy the break and look forward to those days I have a paid day off.
Reply Up