Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question about mat leave situation?
Ariana 07:17 AM 04-29-2012
I'm in Canada so we get 1 year mat leave. One DCF has their older kid with me 3 days per week while mom is off with the baby. Her mat leave is over in October and they haven't mentioned anything to me about holding a spot for the baby or continuing care with me when she returns to work (if she is returning to work!). The mom has made comments about getting her parents to move in with them to take care of their kids "because 2 kids in daycare is expensive"...so I feel like it's all up in the air. I also don't take infants so I can't take their baby anyway.

I just started advertising for more kids for September (kinders) but I'm finding myself in a bit of a situation where I'm not sure how many kids I can take in. If I knew they were going to pull their kid I'd let them go in September so I can take in someone interested in the spot. Maybe I should just let them go anyway since I'm not planning to take the baby.

Do you think it's ok to ask them what their "plans" are for October? How would I bring it up or word it? I don't want to pressure them into making a decision but I kinda need to know
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 04-29-2012
I don't think asking them is pushing them into a decision or at all out of line.

You need to watch out for you (and your business) just as much as they need to do whatever is right for them so I would simply say

"Say Sally, I was wondering what your plans are after the baby is born in regards to child care?"

You already have a few ideas or notions of what they "might" do so why not just ask. I am sure they will appreciate you bringing it up as they may be dreading the conversation as well (thinking they will be hurting your feelings and such) Sounds like they have already told you little tid bits that make it sound as though they HAVE had this conversation themselves at home...kwim?

Just ask. Can't hurt and will open the door for future conversation if it doesn't get addressed completely when you ask. Plus, it shows them that you too have to worry about what will happen next just as they do.
cheerfuldom 12:09 PM 04-29-2012
I would give a deadline. Let mom know that you need her final decision within two weeks so you can plan accordingly. If she is still not sure and not ready to commit with you, you will have to fill the spots and she can take the chance that maybe you will have room for her kids, maybe you wont. There is no reason for you to put your business on hold for her.
Ariana 12:14 PM 04-29-2012
Thanks for the advice!

I began to write an e-mail and then thought to myself that if I have no intention of taking the baby perhaps I should just let them know that care will be terminated in September. This way I know exactly how many spots I have and I'm in control of the situation instead of wondering what they want from me kwim?

Perhaps I could let them know in August so they have plenty of time to find another provider. Thoughts?
cheerfuldom 12:27 PM 04-29-2012
If you know for sure that you won't be taking the baby, I think it would be better just to be upfront about that and replace the older one now if need be. It doesnt seem right to let things continue knowing they might possibly be assuming that you will take the baby.
Ariana 12:34 PM 04-29-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If you know for sure that you won't be taking the baby, I think it would be better just to be upfront about that and replace the older one now if need be. It doesnt seem right to let things continue knowing they might possibly be assuming that you will take the baby.
Yes exactly! It is written in my contact that they need to pay to hold a spot for siblings so the spot for baby wouldn't be held anyway. They aren't paying for the spot and didn't mention it....therefore technically no spot! I suppose I wanted to ask as a favor since they are very nice people and have been good clients. I think you're right and I will let them know that I will not have a spot for the baby in October

Thanks again!
saved4always 01:20 PM 04-29-2012
I would definitely ask them what thier plans are. You need to know how many spaces you have available. Since you do not take infants and the mother is already making comments about the cost of 2 in daycare being too much money, she should not be surprised if you ask. Sounds like there is a good possibility that they will not send the older child to you anymore so I would ask right away so you have time to plan.
DBug 05:34 AM 04-30-2012
Term. Nicely, of course, but make sure you have your plans in place because they could change their minds at the last minute.

I'd say "Because I won't have a spot for the baby, I'm going to go ahead and fill your older child's spot as of XX date." If it was a parent I got along well with, I'd also say something like "I wish I could afford to keep dcb/g even if the baby goes somewhere else, but unfortunately it's just not financially possible." just to let them know how much I do enjoy watching their little one.

However, I would let the older one stay until mom's mat leave is done. I would advertise the spot for that date, rather than letting them go earlier. JMO.
CheekyChick 06:08 AM 04-30-2012
I would definitely ask what her plans are... You need to start interviewing if she plans to pull her older child.
AnneCordelia 07:34 AM 04-30-2012
I just posted similar to this! I should have looked around first. :-)

I think I am going to tell them this week that they have three weeks to let me know if they plan to stay on during the leave. After that I will assume they are not returning and will fill the spot for when the mat leave starts.

Its hard to live in limbo.
Reply Up