Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closed In Centers Or Wide Open Space?
WImom 08:24 AM 09-02-2011
thinking of redoing my space this 3 day weekend. Can't decide on moste closed in type centers or keeping it more wide open? My ages are 2-5.

What are the pros and cons you've encountered?
Blackcat31 08:37 AM 09-02-2011
Closed in or dedicated areas prevent the toys and things from being mixed if the kids are tought to pick up before leaving one area to go to the next. Closed areas also designate a space for a specific reason.

Open spaces induce running as the norm for behavior. Open spaces make it easy to mix toys and props and also leave kids somewhat confused as to what to do with a toy. Some times, areas like a reading area need to be separate from open areas so the activity isn't overshadowed by the louder activities.

So I guess with all that, I vote for closed or specified areas.
Cat Herder 09:32 AM 09-02-2011
I prefer to have both.

When my group is enjoying the company of other kids the open group play area is wonderful.

When I have a little who does not feel like being a friend today (inconsistant bedtimes, ages/stages, moody or other temporary issues) I like having the individual play areas ("mini-centers").

When I have infants I prefer to have COMPLETELY seperate play areas for their safety.

IMHO, one set playroom arrangement will never meet the changing needs of my ever evolving groups (I have a new group every 4 years since they age out at 4 ). I have lots of resouces in storage to pull out or put away at any time to effectively manage my group.
Small Town Provider 09:56 AM 09-02-2011
I'm repainting and rearranging my playroom this weekend too! I am starting 2 new boys on Tuesday and all my schoolagers are leaving for school. I wanted to start fresh and tore everything apart last night in preparation for paint. I think I am going to try closing things in a bit more because the wide open spaces haven't been working that well for me. They get running and it's so hard to get them to stop. They also just dump bins and walk away. I am also taking a bunch of stuff out of the room because I just think there is too much in there. Please post pics when you get yours rearranged and I will try to post mine too.
Crazy8 10:04 AM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by Small Town Provider:
I'm repainting and rearranging my playroom this weekend too! I am starting 2 new boys on Tuesday and all my schoolagers are leaving for school. I wanted to start fresh and tore everything apart last night in preparation for paint. I think I am going to try closing things in a bit more because the wide open spaces haven't been working that well for me. They get running and it's so hard to get them to stop. They also just dump bins and walk away. I am also taking a bunch of stuff out of the room because I just think there is too much in there. Please post pics when you get yours rearranged and I will try to post mine too.
this is what I just did a few weeks ago - pulled EVERYTHING out, painted, built all new cubbies/bookcases and put it all back together in a totally different way.

I went from the wide open space w/everything against the walls to the smaller closed in sections. I am still trying to get used to it, not sure I like it though. I like the IDEA of it and what it promotes but I just think maybe my space (one basic room) is too small. My areas just aren't big enough for all 5 kids to be together and I find we are always stepping on each other. I'm trying to like it but right now I'm not sold.
mismatchedsocks 10:15 AM 09-02-2011
I have a mixture of both. Open space for babies, in their own area. Then a few closed of spaces, for seperated play, then one big open room that I use for group play, space for pillows to spread out to read, and that is also the cot sleeping room.

If its all an open area, that is prone to mess and just random running at that age. If its all closed areas there is no space to be alone, or have seperate play. A mixture of both is nice IMO.
iheartkids 10:17 AM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by Small Town Provider:
I am also taking a bunch of stuff out of the room because I just think there is too much in there. Please post pics when you get yours rearranged and I will try to post mine too.
I have learned that less is more. I hate toys being dumped out and walked on. I found by condensing the boxes down to accomodate just a couple kids the they actually look through it opposed to throwing it around. So my dollhouse toys have less, my kitchen area has just a small box and I just change the pieces out. I've always liked the feel of "centers" although my daycare is in a family room so I'm limited here as to what I can do.
WImom 10:55 AM 09-02-2011
Thanks for the thoughts. I have the running problem and just a general huge mess gets made in the middle of the room. It's all open except the play kitchen area.
I will post pics once I'm done.
Sugar Magnolia 11:28 AM 09-02-2011
I would highly recommend getting a copy of the Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale to everyone. This handy guide covers nearly EVERY aspect of having a good environment. As to the aspect you are asking about, room for play and routines, the ECERS recommends both. Too much open space does encourage running, as many pp's have mentioned. But being too enclosed encourages clutter, pushing and shoving to get at the materials. There needs to a space for privacy. There needs to be space for "loud" activities like the block center, and there needs to be space for "quiet" activies like reading. I have a center, a small center for 15 kids. I have 4 main areas. I have a smaller room that is mostly open, but it contains the block center (need space to build big structures) I have a small alcove that is for personal item cubbies and the "privacy" space. I have a large main room that is mostly open, however running is discouraged by table placement. This room has shelves and cubbies for toy storage, mostly manipulatives like legos, bristle blocks, puzzles, etc, (things to do while seated). I also have a sunroom that is divided more into centers. 1/3 the room for the housekeeping center, 1/3 for the trains/planes/car area and 1/3 for the dress-up/creative play area (puppets, dolls). A good mix is what the ECERS encourages. Hope that helps.
daycare 11:54 AM 09-02-2011
I have not had a chance to read everyones post, but I have both.

In the morning when we have circle time with lots of open space, we include a lot of dancing and movement. After circle time we unstack the tables and set them all out. We make centers and each center has it's own space. I have all of the supplies out in the room in the corner until after circle time and then after the kids get thier job duties, they help me set them up. The yonger ones that can't will just tend to follow around the older ones as they help me set up. It takes all of maybe 7 mintues to set up the centers.

The kids all know that you don't remove things from the centers. Art supplies stay in the art center and etc...

perhaps you could maybe give this a try??
Tags:playroom, playroom ideas, playroom layout
Reply Up