Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Outdoor Supplies
Pestle 07:06 AM 02-28-2017
I had only one infant last year, and he was young enough that he just napped in an Ergo while we were outside. Now he's crawling and I have a second infant.

If you have more than one non-walker, how do you get your infants outside? I have two infants and a preschooler, and there's a door directly outside to the back yard, so I set up a bouncy seat for the tiny one and a blanket for the big one, and then move them out one at a time to their stations before releasing the preschooler into the wild.

Do you use a picnic blanket? Set up a play yard to protect them from the big kids/restrict how far they can range? Use a sun shade? What other supplies do you use outdoors for your infants?
finsup 08:50 AM 02-28-2017
When I have two not walking, I get everyone ready when have the big kids sit on the kitchen floor (the room that leads to outside) and do one of two things with the infants. If they're big enough to sit up, I have our wagon right next to the door and buckle them in. Then let the older kids out and pull them over to the playground. If they're not able to sit in a wagon yet, I have a playpen and or a rocker set up outside and no put them in first, then go get the others. I can hear and see everything as I'm doing this which is helpful!

Anyways as for gear, summer infant makes awesome outdoor gear. I love the popable playpen. Easy to store/move, larger then a pnp. I put a blanket and toys in that. I've also got an infant swing on the swing set, and can bring a rocker out (don't use that now though as my "babies" are 16 and 17 months now lol). I've got the wagon they sometimes sit in to play too. I do have a large play blanket/mat thing for the really littles to be able to do tummy time etc but I generally only use that when they're not at all mobile.
laundrymom 09:32 AM 02-28-2017
I use a supergate.
I hold open the door and assist the kids over the threshold, instructing them to "sit on the line" (our patio has a line in it) and then I come out w the babies in my arms. One or two.
I put them in a supergate that I move around the yard.
jenboo 09:42 AM 02-28-2017
I have 10 kids under two. All the walkers go out first then i bring the non walkers out. I don't confine them. I have a few blankets out and they can crawl off if they want.
Conoad 10:56 AM 02-28-2017
I currently have 2 non walkers. I put them each in an exersaucer. We are usually in the driveway riding bikes or using chalk, so they can't comfortably crawl around. When we are in the yard, I set out a waterproof picnic blanket with toys. They usually just crawl off of it, but they start there. 😀
Pestle 02:17 PM 02-28-2017
I'm relieved to see there's such a breadth of approaches, since there wasn't any one way that immediately made sense to me.
Blackcat31 02:33 PM 02-28-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I have 10 kids under two. All the walkers go out first then i bring the non walkers out. I don't confine them. I have a few blankets out and they can crawl off if they want.
Same here.

I place them on a blanket to start with but most crawl off...

I let them explore.
kendallina 06:21 PM 02-28-2017
I only do preschool age, but when my own little baby is here (11 months, walking) he just walks/crawls around with everyone else. I stay somewhat close to him, though just to make sure no one steps on him, I don't know how people with more than one infant AND older kids do it!
Pestle 07:04 PM 02-28-2017
And that's why a zipline and very large clothespins would be a fabulous addition to my day care.
"Time to go out! Jimmy, Johnny, Millie, Mary."
*Clip, clip, clip, clip*
*Zzzzzzip*
"Excuse me. We don't pull hair. No, we don't pull hair. Oh, that's how it's gonna be, huh? You're headed for the quiet corner, bub."
*Clip*
*Zzzzzzip*
Tags:enclosed play area, infant - outdoor activities
Reply Up