Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastfed Baby Not Eating Well....
JJPlaycare 03:39 PM 05-07-2012
So I have a 6 month old baby who is breastfed..... He has been in daycare since he was 3 months and at 6 months we are still struggling with the bottle. He is here 10 hrs a day and drinks 7-9 oz. He gets home and plays catch up on the breast, but even out of the bottle or so they say. I find this hard to believe with what I have seen with him and the bottle, but this is what they say. I suppose it is calmer and quieter at home which could make a difference, but he won't even eat decently out of the bottle at naptime when its quiet here. Its like a wrestling match even to get him to take those few oz. He is happy as can be just not interested in the bottle! Today she brings me baby food pears, in which he has had at home, but it was the first time I have fed him other than breastmilk of course! He gobbled it right up no problem, but his milk intake for today was 1.5 oz!!!! He just would not drink the bottle today. So I guess I am wondering at this point if you guys have dealt with this or have any advice? Thanks
cheerfuldom 04:32 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
So I have a 6 month old baby who is breastfed..... He has been in daycare since he was 3 months and at 6 months we are still struggling with the bottle. He is here 10 hrs a day and drinks 7-9 oz. He gets home and plays catch up on the breast, but even out of the bottle or so they say. I find this hard to believe with what I have seen with him and the bottle, but this is what they say. I suppose it is calmer and quieter at home which could make a difference, but he won't even eat decently out of the bottle at naptime when its quiet here. Its like a wrestling match even to get him to take those few oz. He is happy as can be just not interested in the bottle! Today she brings me baby food pears, in which he has had at home, but it was the first time I have fed him other than breastmilk of course! He gobbled it right up no problem, but his milk intake for today was 1.5 oz!!!! He just would not drink the bottle today. So I guess I am wondering at this point if you guys have dealt with this or have any advice? Thanks
Have they tried any other bottles? Does he take the bottle well from anyone?

Many babies will reverse cycle, meaning their eating schedule will change and they will nurse all night or whenever, in order to handle those long times away from mom. Is he having an appropriate number of wet diapers? Is he reaching milestones and growing sufficiently? Is he sitting up yet? When he is, perhaps you can try sippies as well?
wdmmom 04:47 PM 05-07-2012
Mom isn't feeding him off the bottle. He is only getting the breast and he's struggling to acclimate himself to the bottle.

I would tell DCM to try the Playtex nursers. I've suggested them to 2 families who both breastfed and they LOVED them! It made feeding time much easier.
KEG123 05:39 PM 05-07-2012
If he's not cranky, meeting milestones, and is having sufficient output I honestly don't think I'd worry about it. Most likely the baby is keeping her up all night with the reverse cycling.
Ariana 05:43 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Have they tried any other bottles? Does he take the bottle well from anyone?

Many babies will reverse cycle, meaning their eating schedule will change and they will nurse all night or whenever, in order to handle those long times away from mom. Is he having an appropriate number of wet diapers? Is he reaching milestones and growing sufficiently? Is he sitting up yet? When he is, perhaps you can try sippies as well?
I think this as well. He likely wants the closeness to mom as well so when he gets home he drinks for her but not for you. As long as he looks healthy and has pee/poo diapers I wouldn't worry too much.
JJPlaycare 05:52 PM 05-07-2012
We have tried 3 different types of bottles, which was an issue as well because they were doing 2 different kinds at home different from the one they sent here to daycare! Once I found that out I thought that was the issue and I got us all using the same bottle, but nope that wasn't it! I agree I love playtex nurses, but not one they have tried. He is happy, meeting milestones, very social, very active, very smiley, sitting up pretty good, but not quite on his own, but with a boppy or legs around him for the occasional tip over, however his output in my opinion is not sufficient! I changed him three times today, but 2 of the times today just had a tiny bit in it, it was more of a freshen up type thing! : ( He averages about 3 diapers a day which isn't a lot for how little he is, thats more my ready to potty train toddler amounts! : / I don't know I have had mostly breastfed babies come through here, I breastfed all 3 of my kiddos, still breastfeeding my 16 month old honestly lol who really struggled with bottles, but it wasn't a huge issue because I'm home with him and now he won't give up the boob! LOL Anyway I have never dealt with this stubborn of a breastfeeder yet! I know alot of times they wait for mom, but his output in my opinion isn't good and the doc at his last checkup said he wasn't maintaining his percentiles. He was 10lbs 3oz at birth and I believe still is a big, chunky, healthy looking baby, but the doc says he isn't maintaining! Mom and dad are very tall and lean though. I don't know, I sent mom a text and asked if we could find a time to talk more in depth about this again! : S
Ariana 06:02 PM 05-07-2012
We have tried 3 different types of bottles, which was an issue as well because they were doing 2 different kinds at home different from the one they sent here to daycare! Once I found that out I thought that was the issue and I got us all using the same bottle, but nope that wasn't it! I agree I love playtex nurses, but not one they have tried. He is happy, meeting milestones, very social, very active, very smiley, sitting up pretty good, but not quite on his own, but with a boppy or legs around him for the occasional tip over, however his output in my opinion is not sufficient! I changed him three times today, but 2 of the times today just had a tiny bit in it, it was more of a freshen up type thing! : ( He averages about 3 diapers a day which isn't a lot for how little he is, thats more my ready to potty train toddler amounts! : / I don't know I have had mostly breastfed babies come through here, I breastfed all 3 of my kiddos, still breastfeeding my 16 month old honestly lol who really struggled with bottles, but it wasn't a huge issue because I'm home with him and now he won't give up the boob! LOL Anyway I have never dealt with this stubborn of a breastfeeder yet! I know alot of times they wait for mom, but his output in my opinion isn't good and the doc at his last checkup said he wasn't maintaining his percentiles. He was 10lbs 3oz at birth and I believe still is a big, chunky, healthy looking baby, but the doc says he isn't maintaining! Mom and dad are very tall and lean though. I don't know, I sent mom a text and asked if we could find a time to talk more in depth about this again! : S
Well it definately sounds like you know what you're talking about!! My DD also dropped percentiles but my DR wasn't concerned. I requested an appointment with a pediatrician to be sure and after 2 visits she had no concerns either. Sometimes you really can't be a slave to the percentiles kiwm?

If you are concerned with pee diapers (you're right it doesn't sound like a lot!) then I think a chat with mom is in order.
MNMum 07:14 PM 05-07-2012
Is this doctor using a growth chart specific to breastfed babies? Breastfed babies tend to gain quickly the first 6 months then drop their weight gain more sharply than their formula fed peers.

I agree with other posters, if the baby is happy in care, happy at home, and waking frequently through the night, baby may be just fine. Many formula fed babies sleep through the night without eating, this baby may just be reversing.

It can be very scary to be the one caring for the baby who is not taking much by bottle, but breastfed babies sometimes have a tendency to wait it out until reunited with mom.

Also, I have a baby right now who is just too distracted by her surroundings to eat much when here. Even if everyone else is sleeping! She doesn't want to miss out on anything, even if that means she hardly eats for me! I can get her to take more if she is sleepy.
JJPlaycare 07:08 AM 05-08-2012
Well the mom I believe is at her witts end with all of this because they are having really long, rough nights, but I don't know what to do about it and that is why I was looking for some advice, thought maybe someone knew a magic trick to reverse his schedule back to a more normal one to keep everyone happy! I feel badly for mom and want to help wherever I can, but nothing I have tried has worked, he just wants mama!
cheerfuldom 08:49 AM 05-08-2012
Well the mom I believe is at her witts end with all of this because they are having really long, rough nights, but I don't know what to do about it and that is why I was looking for some advice, thought maybe someone knew a magic trick to reverse his schedule back to a more normal one to keep everyone happy! I feel badly for mom and want to help wherever I can, but nothing I have tried has worked, he just wants mama!
Like you said, there is nothing YOU can do about it. The mom can either completely wean or night wean which IS going to involve an unhappy baby and take some time transitioning (and probably lots of crying) OR she can just deal with the long nights. Its VERY common with daycare/breastfed babies. She should talk to a lactation consultant or pursue solutions on her own. This isn't your problem to solve and there is nothing you can do if the baby refuses the bottle. But I would be prepared for the parents to get desperate and give notice in order to see if baby will eat for a different sitter. They might blame you and want to try somewhere else versus solving the issue at home.
Reply Up