Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastfed Baby Not Taking The Bottle!!!
cherryhill 12:44 PM 07-17-2012
Has anyone ever been in this situation? She drank about 2oz yesterday from the bottle but it was a battle. She is not fussy and as soon a I put the nipple in her mouth she screams. Any suggestions.

She is bottle fed by the dad but it is a challenge for him also, she is 4 months and been going at this for 3 weeks.
GotKids 12:51 PM 07-17-2012
can you have mom sleep with a receiving blanket and use that to wrap baby in when feeding. Remember a breast touches more of the face than a bottle nipple try to find a way to have some skin on skin contact, use your arm or hand. Also check your temp of the milk, if it is too hot or cold she might refuse it more.
cherryhill 12:54 PM 07-17-2012
Thanks for the response. I have been wrapping her up in her receiving blanket. I will try the skin contact. This is her second day with me and I feel bad for her.
Truly Scrumptious 12:57 PM 07-17-2012
Not so far...but I may be next week myself. I have a new baby starting next week. I know that she is struggling with the bottle at home. I talked with mom and she going to try lots of different styles of bottles and nipples to see if that may be the problem.
I know when my son was a baby (he's 21 now) he liked the nipple on the mam pacifier, the Nuk nipple on his bottles and occasionally I could get him to take a Playtex nurser with that weird bottle nipple (he walked at 8 1/2 months and he would hold it in his teeth with no hands and walk around and drink it)...gave me a break...big baby refused to hold his own bottle even when he was 11 months old!
momma2girls 03:53 PM 07-17-2012
I had this happen one time, and I actually told the mom that she needs to be totally bottle trained before coming back here. From now on I tell everyone starting that is breast feeding, they have to totally take the bottle very well, before I can start providing daycare for them.
Former Teacher 04:38 PM 07-17-2012
With all due respect to breastfeeding mothers...this is one of the very reasons why I do not believe in breastfeeding. It is not fair to the child's father (or other relatives) that they can not feed the baby. It is most definitely not fair to the child themselves.

I do wish you the best of luck!
Heidi 04:49 PM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
With all due respect to breastfeeding mothers...this is one of the very reasons why I do not believe in breastfeeding. It is not fair to the child's father (or other relatives) that they can not feed the baby. It is most definitely not fair to the child themselves.

I do wish you the best of luck!
Ummm...I know you were being respectful..so I'll be quiet on that...

I do agree that putting a breastfeeding baby in daycare without making darn sure they are bottle trained first is kind of mean, though. Poor baby! Poor provider!

The only BABY I ever termed was for this reason. 3 days of SCREAMING was enough for all of us! I've termed older children for behavior occasionally, and termed a few parents for issues, but that's the only time I "fired" the baby!
nothingwithoutjoy 05:22 PM 07-17-2012
I usually recommend that infants' moms come on their lunch break to breast feed, and so far, they've all been able to, so at least I know they're getting one good feeding. I had one baby who wouldn't take more than 2 oz at a time from me...often not more than 2 oz all day! So mom breast feeding at drop off, lunch, and pick up was essential.
Former Teacher 05:30 PM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Ummm...I know you were being respectful..so I'll be quiet on that...

I do agree that putting a breastfeeding baby in daycare without making darn sure they are bottle trained first is kind of mean, though. Poor baby! Poor provider!

The only BABY I ever termed was for this reason. 3 days of SCREAMING was enough for all of us! I've termed older children for behavior occasionally, and termed a few parents for issues, but that's the only time I "fired" the baby!
Thanks

Don't get me wrong. I understand that mother's milk is the best blah blah. I get that. But I don't agree with feeding with breast only. Again it's not fair all around.

At my former center, we too, had a mother who said her infant was going to be strickly breast. We told her that, that was fine however he MUST be bottled fed as well by the time he came to the center. She agreed. However he wasn't (she later said she had no intention on switching him) and he was a nightmare. He eventually pulled out because she got tired of us calling her to come feed him.
queenbee 06:16 PM 07-17-2012
How warm are you warming the breastmilk?

I have a 4.5 month old breastfed only dcbaby currently. When he first started at 6 weeks, he wouldn't drink more than 3oz in a 8 hour period. It was a lot of starting, stopping, crying, starting, stopping, crying

One day, mom dropped off fresh breastmilk that she pumped right before drop-off. The bag was very, very warm! So that day, I warmed the milk to a very warm temperature and the baby drank with no problem.

Perhaps you can warm the milk/bottle to right under "hot"? Obviously test it on your wrist/arm before feeding baby, but it's worth a shot.

My dcbaby continues to eat great - a little too great, actually. He's a chubster
youretooloud 06:30 PM 07-17-2012
I like the Tommee tippy bottles for breast fed babies. It doesn't fool all of the babies, but it seems to fool most of them.
cherryhill 06:31 PM 07-17-2012
Thanks ladies,

She took a nap at 2:00pm and woke at 4:00. She would not take the bottle at all. She won't be here the rest of the week, so on Monday I will ask mom if she wants to come back at lunch to breastfed.

Grandma is coming to town so hopefully it is successful.
cherryhill 06:32 PM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I like the Tommee tippy bottles for breast fed babies. It doesn't fool all of the babies, but it seems to fool most of them.
Mom told me they have those at home, I will double check with here.
Buxterboo 06:48 PM 07-17-2012
Maybe have her try "breastflow" bottles. They worked great for my son who refused every other bottle. After a while on these I was able to get him to a "regular" bottle
Tags:breast to bottle
Reply Up