Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Your Kids Are Sick
Mom&Provider 05:34 AM 08-07-2012
My son went to bed last night complaining he was dizzy/head hurt and his tummy hurt, he made it through the night fine, but then this morning said his tummy hurt and he felt unwell. I took his temp, just over 101, so I started to make calls to DCP's letting them know I am open, BUT this is what is going on.

I'm happy I called everyone since when I got to parent #2, she told me they were admitted into hopsital yesterday - her little one had a fever of 103 and was vomiting!! Obviously they possibly have the same illness or something similar, so others would be at risk too! My son is older, so I'm hoping his fever won't go that high and we avoid the vomit!

Does anyone else do this - call DCP's if your own children have fevers etc? I'm here on my own and would have had 5 kids coming today, so it's a hit to the bank account when we really need the money, but I feel obligated to at least call parents and let them know what is happening here in my home since as a parent I would want to know too. Not to mention when my own kids are sick I'd like to be able to care for them a bit more then usual which they miss out on when other kids are here.

What do you do?
Meyou 05:36 AM 08-07-2012
I call if there is vomiting or if the doctor recommends it. Otherwise I just separate my kids since they're older. I have one with mono right now.
e.j. 03:32 PM 08-07-2012
My kids are older now but when they were younger, I used to call parents to give them a heads up and let them make the decision to bring their own kids or not. I rarely closed the day care because most parents chose to risk it rather than lose a day of work themselves.

I hope your son is feeling better soon and that you don't catch it, too!
daycarediva 04:16 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:
My kids are older now but when they were younger, I used to call parents to give them a heads up and let them make the decision to bring their own kids or not. I rarely closed the day care because most parents chose to risk it rather than lose a day of work themselves.

I hope your son is feeling better soon and that you don't catch it, too!
Exactly this. I just tell them that I will separate as much as possible and my kiddo pretty much stays in the living room or their own bedroom and well away from the day care areas.
Reply Up