Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teaching Class For Parents About Finding The Right Daycare--Need Your Help!
preschoolteacher 09:59 AM 08-30-2013
Hi everyone!

I'm working with some other early childhood ed. teachers/providers to teach a community education course for parents on how to choose the right child care option for their family.

Many of the parents attending will be expecting or planning to start a family soon. The majority will be first-time parents.

I'm curious to see how far in advance family child care providers like parents to arrange care for newborns/young infants. How does this process work for you? Is it crazy for parents to try to line up care before the baby is born? Or is it smart to try to make plans as soon as possible? How do you charge parents in this situation to hold a spot?

Thanks for any help! Also--what would YOU tell parents who are brand new to the child care search? Anything I should make sure to include in the class?

We are going to cover different options--nanny, unlicensed provider, licensed family child care, chain daycare centers, independent daycare centers, and preschools. I'm making a map of our area/city with all of the centers and schools listed and organized by price ($ to $$$$) and rating/accreditation. I'm going to cover licensing requirements... red flags of things to watch out for... resources of places to go online/call to find child care referrals... and touch on issues like nutrition, discipline, etc.

One of my goals is to really educate parents on how group care works. I see on this forum that providers often have to work with parents to get them to understand this. I'd like to get some of that information across in this class!

Thanks!
Blackcat31 10:13 AM 08-30-2013
I just wanted to say I will come back to this thread and answer your questions....I have ALOT of info about this I can give you. Our Early Childhood Family Education does classes like this and I was fortunate enough to be on the committee/review board as a provider representative so that the sorts of questions you are asking were answered by an actual provider.

I will try and find the paperwork and notes I had from the class.

It's lunch time here right now and I have an appt with a new provider at 2:00 (I am a community mentor for new providers too)

Anyways....I'll be back
Maria2013 11:04 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I'm curious to see how far in advance family child care providers like parents to arrange care for newborns/young infants. How does this process work for you? Is it crazy for parents to try to line up care before the baby is born? Or is it smart to try to make plans as soon as possible? How do you charge parents in this situation to hold a spot?
personally I'd encourage parents to start looking as soon as possible, get familiar with the difference between centers and in home daycare and then visit and compare as many as they can so that they have a clear picture of what's around them

Many in home d. around here do not accept newborn, some wont take kids not potty trained so I usually fill my openings with babies that aren't born yet
melilley 11:11 AM 08-30-2013
I love the idea that you are doing this, I think it's awesome!
The only thing that I can answer for you is your questions about parents arranging care for their newborns.

I don't think that it's ever too early for parents to start looking for care for their infants or unborn children (well I would recommend they at least be pregnant)! I encourage expectant parents to come meet me and tour my home. I also let them know that I am a fcc and can only have 5 plus my son so by the time they have their child that I may not be available, but I do have a waiting list. If they like me and my home, I place them on the list and tell them to call or email when the time is closer for them to need care to see if there is an opening. Infant care is in high demand here!
I also always, always tell them (even if they like me and my home) to tour as many homes, centers, preschools etc... as possible so that they can see what options are available. Sometimes this benefits me because I have heard of some not so good things about a couple of the fcc's by me and this makes them want to come to me. But it could go the other way too. I just believe that parents should look around and so I encourage them to do so.

I don't hold spots because I can only have 5 kids so it wouldn't make sense for me to do so, unless I want to wait to start a child.

I would also tell them to read over their providers or potential providers handbook and/or contract with a fine tooth comb and make sure they understand everything! And to also read over licensing requirements (if applicable) and make sure to look around and make sure they are being followed.

I think that there are so many things to think about and look for when it comes to childcare and who is taking care of our children! We may take it for granted that everyone knows these things, but in reality they do not! I think that it is great that you are educating parents!
preschoolteacher 12:25 PM 08-30-2013
Thanks for the nice words, everyone, and the information! I'm excited to do this because I had such a hard time when I was looking for child care for my son... a huge reason why I opened a daycare instead!

BC, I'm really excited to see your notes! If we lived in the same area, I would totally ask to be your mentee. Oh well, that's what the forum is for!

Thanks again.
Michelle 02:40 PM 08-30-2013
Unannounced visits!!!!
Different times of the day and on a different day of the week!!
Tell them to be prepared to take baby home with them on these days.
Also have them ask to see where and how baby will be sleeping and ask about providers knowledge of sids and positional asphyxia ...
Michael 03:25 PM 08-30-2013
Some helpful articles: https://www.daycare.com/fastfacts/daycaredir.html
Tags:daycare environment, quality
Reply Up