Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DIY Sugar Scrub Question
kitkat 07:17 AM 05-02-2014
I made a diy sugar scrub for the first time. It looked great at first and I loved the results on my hands. However, the next day, the top of the container is foamy and it looks like the sugar and dish soap separated a bit. For those who have made this before, why is it foamy? Did I use too much soap? I was hoping to do this as a Mother's Day gift, but not if it looks like this.
LysesKids 10:07 AM 03-01-2017
Originally Posted by kitkat:
I made a diy sugar scrub for the first time. It looked great at first and I loved the results on my hands. However, the next day, the top of the container is foamy and it looks like the sugar and dish soap separated a bit. For those who have made this before, why is it foamy? Did I use too much soap? I was hoping to do this as a Mother's Day gift, but not if it looks like this.
I'm a soap maker and never put soap in my salt/sugar scrubs... I use Almond oil and a few drops of essential oil. You will always have to mix just a bit because it will separate
JackandJill 10:44 AM 03-01-2017
I would leave the soap out. For scrubs, you only want the buffing ingredient and an oil.
sharlan 12:11 PM 03-01-2017
I make a hand scrub using sugar and Meyers lemon dish soap. I leave it on the counter. It's great for after yard work or painting.

It sounds like you need to add more sugar.
hwichlaz 12:15 PM 03-01-2017
Hey, just in case you didn't know...if you're diabetic you shouldn't use sugar scrub. My dearest friend is a manicurist and they were taught not to use sugar scrubs without first inquiring about diabetes.
Blackcat31 12:34 PM 03-01-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Hey, just in case you didn't know...if you're diabetic you shouldn't use sugar scrub. My dearest friend is a manicurist and they were taught not to use sugar scrubs without first inquiring about diabetes.
Wondering if she has any scientific proof that diabetics shouldn't use sugar scrubs?

From my understanding it's a myth and completely unfounded.
hwichlaz 01:02 PM 03-01-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wondering if she has any scientific proof that diabetics shouldn't use sugar scrubs?

From my understanding it's a myth and completely unfounded.
I'm not sure of proof, but it was on her state licensing exam. I do know that some things are absorbed through the skin more than other things...like you're not supposed to use topical benedryl and oral benedryl at the same time etc. But I don't know specifically about sugar. Thinking that there must be something to it if it was included on the state cosmotology liscensing exam though.
Blackcat31 01:06 PM 03-01-2017
I'm not sure of proof, but it was on her state licensing exam. I do know that some things are absorbed through the skin more than other things...like you're not supposed to use topical benedryl and oral benedryl at the same time etc. But I don't know specifically about sugar. Thinking that there must be something to it if it was included on the state cosmotology liscensing exam though.
There maybe other reasons but it's not because sugar is absorbed through the skin.

My DH is a type 1 and his endocrinologist said it's an old wives tale so I was just curious if she had any other reasoning....

His endo said it might be because anything abrasive can cause injury to skin and diabetics don't heal the same way as regular people. Especially the feet.

I'm surprised they teach something in cosmetology school but don't teach the reasons why. But I suppose it's no different than the licensing rules some child cares have to follow. I know my state has many that they enforce but no one knows the reason why.
hwichlaz 01:08 PM 03-01-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There maybe other reasons but it's not because sugar is absorbed through the skin.

My DH is a type 1 and his endocrinologist said it's an old wives tale so I was just curious if she had any other reasoning....

His endo said it might be because anything abrasive can cause injury to skin and diabetics don't heal the same way as regular people. Especially the feet.

I'm surprised they teach something in cosmetology school but don't teach the reasons why. But I suppose it's no different than the licensing rules some child cares have to follow. I know my state has many that they enforce but no one knows the reason why.
Liscensing doesn't even know why most of the time. :P

Like not letting a baby sleep in a swing that has exactly the same "seat/bed" as the cradle that it's perfectly fine for them to sleep in....
sharlan 01:40 PM 03-01-2017
I have been using sugar scrub for years without issue and I'm diabetic. My gf who is also diabetic uses my hand scrub on her face every other day and has never had a issue.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:40 PM 03-01-2017
I make with just coconut oil and sugar. You can add essential oils if you want, but the basic is simply the oil and sugar.
Tags:sugar scrub
Reply Up