Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Offering Non-Nappers 1/2 Days??
SunflowerMama 11:43 AM 02-21-2017
I have just turned 3 yr old bg twins that come twice a week. Brother sleeps a little more than half the time but his sister NEVER sleeps. I wouldn't care and it wouldn't be a big deal if she'd lay quietly but she talks constantly, is off her cot constantly and no matter where I move (even a separate room) she's very disruptive.

Have any of you offered families of disruptive non-nappers the option to just do half days and pick up after lunch? Family is great and she does great the rest of the day but every day she's here I dread nap because I know she'll keep a few up resulting in a grouchy afternoon.

Any words of wisdom would be great!
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 02-21-2017
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I have just turned 3 yr old bg twins that come twice a week. Brother sleeps a little more than half the time but his sister NEVER sleeps. I wouldn't care and it wouldn't be a big deal if she'd lay quietly but she talks constantly, is off her cot constantly and no matter where I move (even a separate room) she's very disruptive.

Have any of you offered families of disruptive non-nappers the option to just do half days and pick up after lunch? Family is great and she does great the rest of the day but every day she's here I dread nap because I know she'll keep a few up resulting in a grouchy afternoon.

Any words of wisdom would be great!
Other than terminating care picking up before nap is the ONLY option I offer parents of kids like that.

I don't care if someone sleeps or not but they MUST rest and they MUST NOT disrupt others. If they do, then I call for pick up. I can't allow one child's unwanted behavior influence what the other kids need/do.

I have offered a non-nap fee before as well but I usually say $50 a day so that I can hire someone to entertain/supervise the non-napping child while the others rest. Of course, most parents pass and either miraculously figure out how to have their child nap/rest quietly or they pick up before rest time and only do a partial day.

BUUUUT, I don't offer partial day rates unless they pick up before lunch time. If the day includes lunch, it's a full day in my book as far as rates go.

Not sure if any of that helped but that's how I do it.
Ariana 01:31 PM 02-21-2017
I would likely sit her in front of the tv if it were me. I would find pickup to be too disruptive and it is only two day a week. Normally I am not at all into tv but sometimes it is a big help.
Jupadia 02:48 PM 02-21-2017
I would have and have done as pp suggested. My set up allows me to put one of the kids into our family movie room (where babies do am nap). But they only get that privilege if they are quite while others fall asleep. I'll give them books on their mat till they get to watch TV. I've so far only done this with one kid who grew out of nap. My own who's growing out of nap now gets his leapfrog 1/2 way through nap time. But he is in his bedroom and away from the other kiddies.
daycarediva 06:37 AM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Other than terminating care picking up before nap is the ONLY option I offer parents of kids like that.

I don't care if someone sleeps or not but they MUST rest and they MUST NOT disrupt others. If they do, then I call for pick up. I can't allow one child's unwanted behavior influence what the other kids need/do.

I have offered a non-nap fee before as well but I usually say $50 a day so that I can hire someone to entertain/supervise the non-napping child while the others rest. Of course, most parents pass and either miraculously figure out how to have their child nap/rest quietly or they pick up before rest time and only do a partial day.

BUUUUT, I don't offer partial day rates unless they pick up before lunch time. If the day includes lunch, it's a full day in my book as far as rates go.

Not sure if any of that helped but that's how I do it.

Same.

I do NOT take non nappers as a rule, but I HAVE made exceptions to well behaved children who grew out of naps. Depends on the kid, honestly.
Play Care 03:39 AM 02-23-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Same.

I do NOT take non nappers as a rule, but I HAVE made exceptions to well behaved children who grew out of naps. Depends on the kid, honestly.

Also, in some States (mine included) television is NOT allowed during nap times for non-nappers. So tv/movie is not a solution.
SunflowerMama 07:15 AM 02-24-2017
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I've tried books and quiet activities and it just doesn't work for her. With one of my babies requiring back patting to fall asleep its nearly impossible to keep this little girl quiet if I can't sit right next to her. I'll probably offer them the chance to pick up before nap or just term if they don't want to do that. Thanks!
Sumshine 07:35 AM 02-24-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:

Also, in some States (mine included) television is NOT allowed during nap times for non-nappers. So tv/movie is not a solution.
What?! I'd go crazy! My own son doesn't nap and it's how I keep him occupied quietly it's split between TV and quiet activities! I'm not big on sticking your kid in front of the TV but I feel a bit of TV isn't going to harm anyone lol. He watches little einsteins, umi zoomi, etc and they actually have taught him some good stuff! As far as any other time we will watch a movie for a holiday party and every once in a while I'll have it on the last hour of our day if I'm really just over the day and ready for it to be done
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 02-24-2017
Originally Posted by Sumshine:
What?! I'd go crazy! My own son doesn't nap and it's how I keep him occupied quietly it's split between TV and quiet activities! I'm not big on sticking your kid in front of the TV but I feel a bit of TV isn't going to harm anyone lol. He watches little einsteins, umi zoomi, etc and they actually have taught him some good stuff! As far as any other time we will watch a movie for a holiday party and every once in a while I'll have it on the last hour of our day if I'm really just over the day and ready for it to be done
Start getting ready for your trip.....lol!

It's something currently in discussion/legislature for all MN providers.

I have to say I am in full support of it.

Not that I don't watch my fair share of TV myself but I don't think it has any place in child care.
Sumshine 08:28 AM 02-24-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Start getting ready for your trip.....lol!

It's something currently in discussion/legislature for all MN providers.

I have to say I am in full support of it.

Not that I don't watch my fair share of TV myself but I don't think it has any place in child care.
I would be able to live with it for everyone else at the daycare it's my own kid who I'm concerned about!!! Funny how I can manage everything else with the other kiddos but when it comes to my own man he can make me want to pull my hair out sometimes!!!! If he can't watch his little einsteins I'm never going to hear the end of it!
Reply Up