Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do? Suggestions Please!
seashell 06:17 AM 03-12-2010
I have a FT family here who informed me this morning that mom and dad were seperating. Dad is moving to Ohio, mom is staying in CT. Visitation is as follows:

6 weeks with mom in CT
2 weeks with dad in Ohio

Yes, we all know this will make for a very confussing schedule for this little boy, who is 18 months. I plan to write down his schedule during the day for his provider in Ohio, but it sounds like he will be moved between friends and family members while dad is at work, with no stable daycare arrangement. He's a very easy going little boy, but still, that's alot of change and alot of different caregivers...I'm sure I don't have to explain my concerns to you ladies.

Aside from the obvious concerns, what do I do about tuition for the weeks he's not here? I was thinking of not charging her? It's not really a money issue for me, I'm full and doing well. I won't miss the money, his tuition goes into savings. I don't want to lose him, I'm really attached to him and I like his mom. He's so easy to care for, no issues at all. I don't know if I will find the same in a new child. I also worry what adding a new daycare here will do to him. He needs stability now, not being shuffled around.

Anyone ever have the same situation? Suggestions are appreciated!

(And in case your wondering, the poor kid has a 13 hour car ride, each way!)
kpa0627 06:39 AM 03-12-2010
You could just tell the parent that normally you would charge tuition because you are still holding a spot but tell the mom that you understand their situation and could charge 1/2 the normal weekly rate to hold the spot instead. That way you are still getting a little money (because it's not fair to you) and the mom might be more willing to understand you are giving her a deal. Hope this helps.
booroo 07:05 AM 03-12-2010
Well if money is not an issue, then just tell her, that you wont be charging her for the 2 weeks hes not in your care, but you will hold his spot.

I have 2 part times, the reason they are part time is because I have them 1 week and not the next, its a custody thing. The daycare provided told the mom that she would not do care for her durning her weeks. Really good friends to the dads family, and the dad was trying to get the moms rights taken away, so they thought this was one way to do it. If a single working mom doesnt have daycare, she cant work. Well I took him in, then a nother family is going through the same thing. So I have these 2 boys the same week, and then the next week I dont have them.

I dont charge, even though I DO need the money, it not fair to the moms.
Persephone 07:05 AM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by kpa0627:
You could just tell the parent that normally you would charge tuition because you are still holding a spot but tell the mom that you understand their situation and could charge 1/2 the normal weekly rate to hold the spot instead. That way you are still getting a little money (because it's not fair to you) and the mom might be more willing to understand you are giving her a deal. Hope this helps.
I agree. If they were going to a center they would have to pay full price. So maybe offer her a lower rate when not there.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 07:09 AM 03-12-2010
I would do at LEAST half, if not 3/4. the normal rate. You are full now but who knows what 6 months will bring. I know that you are trying to help,.. but,... their lives cant dictate ours. I would say, Im sorry and I understand that you are doing whats best for Johnie,.. but I have to do the same for me. Ill accept 3/4 payment for the weeks he isnt here because about 1/4 of the fees I charge is normally how much it costs me in food and supplies, and the rest will be to hold his spot.

and leave it at that.
momma2girls 07:16 AM 03-12-2010
I would at least do 1/2 the rate as well on it.
missnikki 07:27 AM 03-12-2010
Whatever you decide, you are setting a standard for your program. Think about your cost per child, and charge at least that much. This may not be the only time this happens- best to establish a rate now.
Childminder 07:53 AM 03-12-2010
Why do we choose to be in a business that we feel obligated to accept less income because of someone elses personal issues. Do they feel sorry for us and offer to give us more if we are having problems. I'm barely making my bills and a parent that knows the situation decided to work less and would I take a lesser rate because they've been bring their children for 3 yrs. UH, sure I won't make my mortgage pymt and eventually go into foreclosure and just shut down. because you can afford to take less hours. I'm at the point where I can't say yes but I've been where you are and usually do accommodate, then end up regretting it.
Tags:fulltime family, rate, schedule
Reply Up