Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>License Question For Colorado
GMA 02:32 PM 08-02-2017
My soon to be ex son in law is refusing to pay me childcare for my 2 grandchildren because he says I need to be licensed. Does anyone know if this is true for the state of Colorado?
Blackcat31 03:08 PM 08-02-2017
Originally Posted by GMA:
My soon to be ex son in law is refusing to pay me childcare for my 2 grandchildren because he says I need to be licensed. Does anyone know if this is true for the state of Colorado?
NOT true. Colorado may require a provider to be licensed if caring for a certain number of kids but that doesn't have anything to do with payment for services.

If you charge for your services and have an agreement (hopefully in writing) then you are owed for any services provided.

Here are the licensing rules for Colorado:

https://www.daycare.com/colorado/
hwichlaz 03:18 PM 08-02-2017
then he needs to care for them himself
Unregistered 09:05 PM 08-02-2017
In Colorado, the law states that you can watch 1 (or more) children from ONE family without being licensed. This does not count children related to you.
The new law states you can watch 4 children at one time without being licensed. They can be from 1-4 families, and those related to you count in the number.
Regardless of licensing, if you provided a service he is responsible to pay. If you have a contract, you can take him to small claims.
Cat Herder 08:44 AM 08-03-2017
Does your daughter live with you currently? Will she be paying half? What does their custody schedule look like?

I would assume if he is court ordered to pay 100% for childcare used on his time he will want to choose a more unbiased option of provider. It is not an uncommon situation.
Unregistered 12:27 PM 08-05-2017
You only need a license in Colorado, if you care for more than ONE FAMILY. If you agreed on a good rate for your two grandkids (YOUR OWN FAMILY), you don't even need a license. You need to be paid though!
Tags:child support, colorado, colorado members, custody agreement, custody issues, grandparent rights
Reply Up