Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCK, Do You Inform Current DCP?
jacksmommy13 08:29 AM 08-19-2017
Do you inform current dcp when a new dck is starting?
I have a new child starting and I mentioned it to one dcp. That dcp just texted and asked what days/hours this child will be here and how old she is. I feel like it's none of their business. And now I'm wondering if I need to tell the other current families or just let them notice on there own? I'm sure the kids will mention a new child here.
Unregistered 09:23 AM 08-19-2017
1) Telling another parent whether current or new about a child is breach of confidentiality and you could lose your license.

2) Also if I were a parent and found out that you had told, I would not be happy and probably pull my child because that would make me feel as like if you tell this one thing what else would you tell.
Unregistered 09:52 AM 08-19-2017
Once a child passes the trial period I post on my website and Facebook page pictures welcoming the new child and parents (no other info shared, just welcome to our new friend). I also introduce the parents if they arrive at the same time for drop off/pick up. We are a small community and the area we live in is very big on a family atmosphere. The children call each other's parents Auntie and uncle because that's just the type of community we live in.
Leigh 09:58 AM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
1) Telling another parent whether current or new about a child is breach of confidentiality and you could lose your license.

2) Also if I were a parent and found out that you had told, I would not be happy and probably pull my child because that would make me feel as like if you tell this one thing what else would you tell.
You won't lose your license for disclosing age, sex, or even hours of attendance. Unless your licensing rules specifically forbid something, you don't lose your license. I wouldn't recommend talking about a child's home life, medical issues, parents' personal lives, etc., but talking about parents and kids is more of an ethical violation than a legal one.

Many parents just have an interest in knowing about the other kids that their children spend time with.

I don't bother telling parents about who is starting with me, but when the parents see the other kids, I introduce the parents to the child, and child to the parents. "DCM, this is Sam, he started daycare with us recently. Sam, this is Katie's mom, DCM."
jacksmommy13 11:45 AM 08-19-2017
Dcg is the only girl during the day, (my daughter is in school) and the only 2 year old.

I just said something like dcg will have a new friend next week! Dcp is said ok. Then I got the text later from them, which I haven't replied to yet.

I like the idea of waiting until they start and introduce at pick up.

Does it go both ways? If a new potential parent asks what are the ages of kids you have in care, or ratio of boys vs girls? Do you let them know?
CalCare 11:49 AM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

I would find it highly unusual, that a parent expected the Provider to not disclose if a new child started! And I have certainly never heard of someone losing their license over such a thing. Furthermore, if a parent wanted to term over a Provider introducing a new child to the childcare community, I would think there is something very wrong with that parent and bid them good riddance!
Unregistered 12:45 PM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by jacksmommy13:

Does it go both ways? If a new potential parent asks what are the ages of kids you have in care, or ratio of boys vs girls? Do you let them know?
Yes, I just give a general the youngest child is 2 and the oldest is 4 which is the ages that I would have advertised for. I want to weed out families that don't fit into my current group.
daycare 01:37 PM 08-19-2017
I would just keep it simple. they are here full time or part time and then say something like be sure to say hi if you see them and leave it at that.

I make a sign for the new kid in our DC so that everyone will know their name and make them feel welcome. that is all the information they get.

If other parents were to be asking me for those details, I would state what I said above.

I agree it is not their business to know.
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 08-19-2017
My kiddos are a close group and I usually only get new kids when a current family expands or through word of mouth so I tell current families we have a new child starting when that happens.

I don't discuss anyone's personal life with anyone but informative conversation is both necessary and expected.

I've never heard of anyone losing their license for announcing a new enrollee. If that were the case every provider that gives out references should have their license revoked.
laundrymom 03:32 PM 08-19-2017
I would keep it simple
"Our new friend is a little girl, 2 yrs old and can't wait for you to meet her"
storybookending 03:57 PM 08-19-2017
I don't have nearly as many children as some of you are allowed, maybe some day I will look into expanding my license. My parent circle right now is the best and in this town you either know someone or someone in their immediate family or at the very least know of them. I will be starting my first new child with a child aging out for Kindergarten. I have told the kids we will be getting a new friend when this child leaves because their assigned seats at the table changed and they wanted to know why. The child will start September 1st. I have only told one mom because she was asking for a friend that was looking for child care for an infant (didn't know it was an infant at the time of asking). All I told her was my under 2 spots were full and that I had already filled the soon to be open spot with a two year old girl.
Leigh 09:26 AM 08-20-2017
Originally Posted by jacksmommy13:
I absolutely answer that question. I think that parents are just looking at whether their child will have the potential to find a playmate at daycare. I will answer any question that parents have about ratios, ages and sexes of children, etc. I tend to have a LOT of kids who have some sort of special needs, from mild to severe, and I do discuss with parents that we have many visitors at daycare due to the need for therapies. It is quite obvious to parents which kids have the higher needs (as they can see an oxygen line set up or a feeding tube being used)-I don't have to tell them.

I don't give personal info about kids to parents, but names, ages, days of attendance-those things are not really "protected" info.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:22 PM 08-20-2017
I would just do as suggested above and keep it simple. "sally is 2 years old and will be attending full time!" or something like that. I dont really discuss specific days or hours, but i think a little general information is fine.

Is their child the only one you watch until your dd comes home or do you have other kids too? If you have others, but they are all boys, maybe they are just hoping the other kid will be there the same hrs so she can have a girl friend to play with? On the negative side, they may be worried you are taking on too many kids so their little princess wont get special attention, but i hope not!
Mom2Two 01:59 PM 08-20-2017
Yeah, I tell people. It does help to remind that no one is indispensible. Also, it's not a state secret which days a child will be here--they're bound to notice eventually!
knoxmomof2 10:19 PM 08-20-2017
I only care for 4 at a time, so once I have the deposit I let the other parents know as it fits into our conversation. I just tell them age and gender. I like the answer that others gave about being vague. "She's 2 and she'll be here full time", etc.
Reply Up