Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help me find the words...
taylorw1210 08:02 AM 07-24-2014
to cut my awesome part time families so they do not feel like it's personal. You ladies are great at wording things!

I have three families that are 3 days/week. Unfortunately due to FT kiddos filling up spots, I need to remove at least 2 of them.

How would you pick which ones to give notice to?

"Seniority"?
The age of the child? (i.e. keep the child that will likely stay the longest)
Best behaved?
Favorite parents?

I don't like this part of the job.
nannyde 08:12 AM 07-24-2014
The most money with the longest enrollment possible in future.

The highest paying kid with the most future money potential.
LysesKids 08:16 AM 07-24-2014
My first question is did you offer your part timers the option of going full time before contracting the new families? I always offer PT the space first then if they decline to go full time, I contract someone who does want full time and give them 2 weeks notice - I do it order of who fits best with my current kids, not seniority, but then I only have my kids to 18 months. Now as how to word it?
daycare 08:18 AM 07-24-2014
what nan said plus be sure to add to your PHB that all FT families will have priority over PT families.

I make sure that parents know this up front.

They know that in order to run my business to the best of it's ability I need to make the most business sense possible.

PT families will be given the option to go full time in the event that the spot is needed on a FT basis. At this time I would email them and tell them that a full time spot is needed and since they are PT that they have the option to go full time or surrender their spot.

It's not personal at all, it's business.
Blackcat31 08:20 AM 07-24-2014
I offer the full time space to each part time family first.

Who ever takes it first gets it. (by takes it, I mean pays for it and signs a contract for it)

Unless, I have a personal preference for whatever reason.

Other wise, upon enrollment I make sure ALL part time families know that if a full time family wants a space, I AM going to give it to the full time family if the part time family declines.

If part timers know this coming in, then it makes the awkwardness of this situation much easier to deal with.

I'll help you write a letter if you tell me more about what you want to say....
taylorw1210 09:06 AM 07-24-2014
My PHB states that FT takes priority over PT, and that I will do my best to accommodate all the families however if a FT spot is needed the PT families have the option to take it, or they will be given notice - so I'm covered there.

I just haven't actually had to enforce it, yet.

But now two PT'ers are going FT, and one who was leaving for prek is no longer leaving but will be staying with me and attending half day prek rather than full day. I do not want to decline him staying because he is part of a sibling group. I already filled the prek boys spot with a FT'er replacing him to start in August.

So, that leaves me needing to terminate two kids that are 2 days a week. And at least 2 of 3 of the kids that come 3 days a week.

I don't really have the option of offering the PT families a FT spot.

Blackcat, I just want to convey that the need for termination is in no way a personal matter but rather a business one - referring to the priority FT families have and thanking the family for the opportunity to care for their children.
daycare 09:19 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
My PHB states that FT takes priority over PT, and that I will do my best to accommodate all the families however if a FT spot is needed the PT families have the option to take it, or they will be given notice - so I'm covered there.

I just haven't actually had to enforce it, yet.

But now two PT'ers are going FT, and one who was leaving for prek is no longer leaving but will be staying with me and attending half day prek rather than full day. I do not want to decline him staying because he is part of a sibling group. I already filled the prek boys spot with a FT'er replacing him to start in August.

So, that leaves me needing to terminate two kids that are 2 days a week. And at least 2 of 3 of the kids that come 3 days a week.

I don't really have the option of offering the PT families a FT spot.

Blackcat, I just want to convey that the need for termination is in no way a personal matter but rather a business one - referring to the priority FT families have and thanking the family for the opportunity to care for their children.
Dear DCP,

Our Parent Handbook Policies state that all full time schedules will take priority over part time schedules when needed. Unfortunately, since Max is the most part time here, we would need to have the full time family take over his spot. The full time family will need to start their new schedule on June 9.

I would like to offer you a few options: (input them here if you have options) or state what is needed

Please understand that this is no way personal, but what is needed to help our program run successfully. Hopefully we can work something out. I am open to other options if you have any. Thank you so much for everything. He is such an amazing little boy.
Blackcat31 09:33 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
Dear DCF

Per my program policies, full time attendance has priority in scheduling over part time attendance. As of September 1, 2014 I will no longer have the part time spaces available to accommodate your child care needs.

The last week I will be able to provide care will be the week of August 31, 2014.

Please note, this change is in no way personal and should you wish to remain on our waitlist or remain enrolled as a drop-in, I will happily provide services when available.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Sincerely

Provider

Then include a copy of your handbook page, highlighting the section that states full time has priority over part time.

Keep it short ans simple. Any further explaining or reassuring that it wasn't personal will make it personal.

Keep it business like and factual. Because it is.

If you want to write a personal thank you or parting note to the family or child when they are on the their last week of care, you most certainly could. That is when I find it's best to add that personal element....AFTER the business has been done.
Reply Up