Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Confused by wording
thelearningtreesp 09:47 AM 07-24-2014
Hi all!

I've been a lurker for quite some time and finally decided to break out and ask a questions.

I run a small in home daycare in New Jersey. According to the state of NJ, "family childcare" which consist of 5 or less kids ARE NOT LICENSED. We can voluntarily register (which I am in the process of doing).

My question is, does 5 or less kids mean 5 or less kids PER DAY or total enrolled. I have some part-timers, but I never exceed 5 children per day. I do however have more than 5 children enrolled in my daycare.

Could some of you veterans clear that up for me?
melilley 09:51 AM 07-24-2014
Hi and welcome!

They mean per day, in your home, at any one time.
TickleMonster 09:57 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Hi and welcome!

Yes this
mountainside13 10:00 AM 07-24-2014
Welcome!
Laurel 10:29 AM 07-24-2014
Hi and welcome!

Yep, that is what it means here in Florida too.

Laurel
Meeko 11:58 AM 07-24-2014
Capacity means in your home at any given time.

I am licensed for 16 children. I have 19 on my books right now. But only 16 in attendance on any given day.
Unregistered 12:00 PM 07-24-2014
Mine was "On any day at the same time" just 6.

So I could have up to 6 kids in the AM and 6 different kids in the PM (for a total of 12 in the same day as long as they were not all there at the same time). No more than ONE child overlap (late pickup kind of thing) for no more than 5 hours in a given week (so an hour per day).

IDK if that's the same way now.
midaycare 12:11 PM 07-24-2014
*Waves* Hello!
KiddieCahoots 12:11 PM 07-24-2014
Hi and welcome!

Ditto!
thelearningtreesp 12:29 PM 07-24-2014
Thanks everyone!!!
I'm so excited to have so many well-educated/experienced daycare guru's at my fingertips.
Crazy8 12:46 PM 07-24-2014
also in NJ. it does mean in your home at any given time. You can have 10 kids enrolled, as long as not more than 5 are there at any time. And depending on ages you may only be allowed 4 so be careful of that!
KiddieCahoots 01:19 PM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by thelearningtreesp:
Thanks everyone!!!
I'm so excited to have so many well-educated/experienced daycare guru's at my fingertips.
Right?!
I was told that it was addictive.....they weren't kidding! I sometimes find myself waking in the middle of the night with a daycare question or problem, and can't wait to get here to ask the pro's.
So glad you're joining us!
thelearningtreesp 01:28 PM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Right?!
I was told that it was addictive.....they weren't kidding! I sometimes find myself waking in the middle of the night with a daycare question or problem, and can't wait to get here to ask the pro's.
So glad you're joining us!
Too funny!! This is a VERY helpful forum.

One more question, since I am not currently registered (I am in the process, but my contact said it takes about 6 months), how should I advertise? I have a LOT of people ask if I'm licensed, but like I mentioned, in the state of NJ you do NOT get "licensed" until you have 6+ children. You can voluntarily register with the state which is what I'm doing. I don't want to scare clients away by not being "licensed" or even "registered" yet.
Blackcat31 01:30 PM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by thelearningtreesp:
Too funny!! This is a VERY helpful forum.

One more question, since I am not currently registered (I am in the process, but my contact said it takes about 6 months), how should I advertise? I have a LOT of people ask if I'm licensed, but like I mentioned, in the state of NJ you do NOT get "licensed" until you have 6+ children. You can voluntarily register with the state which is what I'm doing. I don't want to scare clients away by not being "licensed" or even "registered" yet.
Here are a TON of threads about advertising

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=advertising
thelearningtreesp 01:35 PM 07-24-2014
Thank you BC! I'll check them out.
NightOwl 01:49 PM 07-24-2014
This place IS addictive! I've been saying we need a daycare forum anonymous group. But I'd never go because I'm always here.
Reply Up