Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Severe Milk Allergy
rmc20021 07:59 PM 05-30-2013
I just received a message on my daycare facebook site asking about childcare for an 18 mo who has severe milk/milk product allergies. Mom states that even the minute amount of milk in hot dogs (never would have thought there was any in there) or any cross contamination can cause him to stop breathing.

Has anyone ever had a child with food allergies like this and how did you handle it?

I responded by saying that if I were to take the child she would have to provide all foods so I could make sure I wouldn't serve something accidentally that he's not supposed to have. I also said I would keep all his dishes and utensils separate and washed separate. And also that he would sit in a high chair away from the possibility of any other child's food getting near him.

I'm not sure I'd want that responsibility, but hey...someone has to watch him.

I was also wondering about having contact with other types of foods such as things we do projects with...we use a lot of corn starch, flour, borax...I use food items such as beans, rice, oatmeal etc for sensory bins.

Wow...that must really be hard for the parents, but I'm not so sure I want to take that on...How does everyone else feel about something like this???
blandino 08:25 PM 05-30-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
I just received a message on my daycare facebook site asking about childcare for an 18 mo who has severe milk/milk product allergies. Mom states that even the minute amount of milk in hot dogs (never would have thought there was any in there) or any cross contamination can cause him to stop breathing.

Has anyone ever had a child with food allergies like this and how did you handle it?

I responded by saying that if I were to take the child she would have to provide all foods so I could make sure I wouldn't serve something accidentally that he's not supposed to have. I also said I would keep all his dishes and utensils separate and washed separate. And also that he would sit in a high chair away from the possibility of any other child's food getting near him.

I'm not sure I'd want that responsibility, but hey...someone has to watch him.

I was also wondering about having contact with other types of foods such as things we do projects with...we use a lot of corn starch, flour, borax...I use food items such as beans, rice, oatmeal etc for sensory bins.

Wow...that must really be hard for the parents, but I'm not so sure I want to take that on...How does everyone else feel about something like this???
Currently I have one DCG enrolled who has a class 5 milk allergy. Even any dried milk can cause her to have a reaction. As far as her reaction, I have heard (not seen) that she projectile vomits - and one time her face swelled when she accidentally ate a goldfish cracker. We keep an Epi-pen here to use just in case.

We did have a call for a DCK a few years ago, who would go into anaphylactic shock if he even mouthed a toy that had previously been mouthed by a child with milk in their saliva. I told DCM that it would be nearly impossible to stop all cross contamination, especially if it happens that easily. I can't control saliva

My biggest fears with this DCG have been her grabbing a bottle from another child, who might have been holding their own bottle in the Boppy. Or grabbing a neighbors cup/food at the table. I actually still have her in a high chair at 23 months, because I am scared of that beginning stage of eating at the table where a child is apt to grab food from others.

I would be very clear with the DCM that you will make every effort possible, but that it is nearly impossible for you to stop cross contamination, if we are talking the mouthed toy issue. It is definitely a good idea for her to send ALL food, and I might even have her send the plates/utensils also, and you just bag the dirty ones. I would put as much in her control as humanly possible.
jessrlee 04:13 AM 05-31-2013
There is NO WAY I would entertain the idea of taking a child that could easily DIE in my care. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. As a parent I would stay home or hire a nanny with a nursing degree. Imagine the panic you would feel!
rmc20021 04:46 AM 05-31-2013
I had not thought about the mouthing possibility...see, I'm already messing up. No...don't think this is gonna happen.

I'm a trained medical assistant (who worked in an allergy clinic, although we only did environmental allergies...never food allergies) as well as a trained emergency medical technician...but I don't think I want to have that burden on my shoulders of constantly having to worry and watch every little thing. Just too much when there's other children in the home.
Evansmom 06:01 AM 05-31-2013
It does seem overwhelming at first but we have 2 severely allergic kids in my small school (so 2 out of the 4 total kids) and once the initial period of adjustment passed I became quite comfortable in managing the allergies. It's really not as hard as you'd think.
TheGoodLife 06:17 AM 05-31-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
There is NO WAY I would entertain the idea of taking a child that could easily DIE in my care. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. As a parent I would stay home or hire a nanny with a nursing degree. Imagine the panic you would feel!
I would think the same- sounds like they need a special home and I wouldn't want to possibly risk accidental exposure from another child or anything like that! Poor thing
Unregistered 06:24 AM 05-31-2013
I'm picturing my toddlers that shake their sippy cups of milk, that even after brushing them down seems to trail crumbs of stuff here and there. My one sometimes spits up her milk a bit well after feedings while playing.

If the child was older perhaps, but my 18 month olds still put nearly everything in their mouth and would not hesitate to pop a crumb off the floor or someones shirt in their mouth.

I would be on edge all day.
TheGoodLife 06:25 AM 05-31-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
I would think the same- sounds like they need a special home and I wouldn't want to possibly risk accidental exposure from another child or anything like that! Poor thing
KDC 06:46 AM 05-31-2013
My nephew is severely allergic to milk. I panic at any family party... And they do not expect food to be prepared specifically around him, but I still am on edge. If anyone touches something after eating dairy and he touches that object he WILL break out in hives. Any mouth contact and its epi pen and ER right away. My SIL makes every effort to keep her child safe, including a IL 504 plan where she works with the school district to write a plan of all hazards to make sure her child remains safe. She volunteers as a lunch Mom/room mom and anyone who defies the rules, she tattles to the principal- parent is notified and any second offense, the plan is modified to remove that child from his class list for the next year. She needs to advocate for her child, but there is NO way I'd want that liability on my shoulders!! He's constantly in the nurses office. No way.
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 05-31-2013
Providing child care is a big enough liability that there is no way I would even consider taking on something like that.

With an allergy that severe, mom really has no business looking for care in a group setting.

This poor kid needs one on one care. Mom should be looking for either a nanny or a personal care attendant.
melilley 12:05 PM 05-31-2013
I have a 2.5 year old dcb who is allergic to milk and can't have gluten! I provide all his food and have never had a problem. You just have to make sure to read all labels of everything. I also ask the mom anytime I buy something new. A lot of foods that you wouldn't think would have milk in them do. Hot dogs, lunch meat, (mostly processed foods), just to name a couple. Meijer has a gluten free section and many of the products in that section are dairy free so snacks are easy to find and if you home make foods, it's easy to not use dairy.
I may be the odd one out, but I don't think that it is that hard to take care of a child with food allergies-they have to go somewhere, but like I said, I have a fairly small group.
cheerfuldom 12:37 PM 05-31-2013
No I wouldnt take this child. Too much liability and too much extra work. I provide snacks and i would not purchase or go out of my way to cook with one child specifically in mind. If mouthing toys and such is a concern, it just would be even more work to avoid contaminated toys. Bless you ladies that are willing to consider caring for a kid like this but my job is hard enough, I wouldnt add even more onto the plate. Especially in a person's home where some split milk could be a death trap to a curious toddler that would dip their finger in it.
Scout 05:24 PM 05-31-2013
No way would I want this responsibility! A friend of mine's son has severe food allergies and she has decided to home school him at least for kindergarten and possibly further because she doesn't feel comfortable with the school's being able to keep a close enough eye on it. Can't say I blame her-class of 6 I'd be uncomfortable, but, our schools have classes up to probably 30!
Unregistered 06:23 PM 07-24-2014
I work in a daycare, and mainly with infants-toddlers. If your child has a severe allergy to dairy that is life-threatening, I highly recommend you find a personal nanny that is also dairy-free. It is too high risk in a daycare setting, especially when food is served in the same room as where they all play. I know from personal experience how busy you can get and your eyes cannot be on that one child when there are several other kids in the room. Your child could have a reaction, minor or severe, from MANY risk factors... piece of cheese that fell under the table, a yogurt bite snack that is easily missed, a drop of milk or saliva that got onto anything soft..(a book, toys, a boppy pillow, carpet, kids' personal items [bibs, blankets, clothes..], stuffed animals. The mat they play on, shelves they touch, tables, bouncers, excercausers, utensils, and the list goes on and on. Babies spit up and put everything in their mouth. Seriously, EVERYTHING IS A RISK. You can never stop cleaning and still miss something. Children (especially so young) drop or even throw food, bottles, cups containing dairy. Your child will have to be confined way too often and ultimately it will stunt their development. It slows down their growth because they cannot learn to walk if they are constantly up or in something for their own safety. A personal nanny is the best option because it is honestly asking too much on the caregivers that have 7 other babies in the room, and it is not fair to the child who has to be confined all the time They need special one-on-one care. Then, the child is free to play and move around. That's how they learn. And it's not like the child is benefitting from the daycare setting. People usually choose that type of place for the social skills. Your child will constantly be "bubbled" as we call it because they cannot be around risk factors..which are the other children. They won't play near them or with the same toys, or be at the table at the same time. And it's sad because it is for their own safety. I hope that this helps and I hope you weigh the pros and cons. The cons side fills up quick. If I was the parent and it was the care of my own child, I would not have my child in daycare. It is way too risky and overall, not worth it to have a child at risk everyday when it can be avoided. You can put the child in a dairy-free environment, with a nanny that doesn't consume dairy..and i believe that would be in the child's best interest. Please do what is best for your child.
Tags:food - allergies, milk, milk allergy
Reply Up