Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I told you that, like, 40 times!!!
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:51 AM 07-28-2014
I have a dcb that has had a rash on his cheek since October. I told dcm no less than 40Xs, I swear, that I thought it was impetigo. Dcm has no health insurance on dcb (), so I tried to give her all the helpful advice I could of otc stuff to try, and tried to be so patient. She did heed my advice, but each and every thing I suggested and she tried did not produce IMMEDIATE results, which I knew it wouldn't, so she would just quit. But with consistent care, I really do think one of the treatments would have gotten rid of it. It got to the point where I told her that we had to keep it covered with a Band-Aid, because I knew it was impetigo and that is contagious. I hated making dcb wear a Band-Aid on his face, and he was so good about not touching it, but one of the other dcm's commented about it and seemed concerned.

So, she FINALLY took him in to her dermatologist. She said, "She looked at it for 5 seconds and said it was impetigo. I wish someone else could have told me that."

WHAT?!?!?!?! Screaming face pulling hair out emoticon right here! I almost had a temper tantrum myself right then and there! Oh, well. At least he got the Rx meds to clear it up quickly and be done with it.

Normally, I feel like I am treated as a respected wealth of knowledge to my dcfs. Then, something like that goes down, where they clearly don't remember what I told them, and I don't know how to react.
CraftyMom 07:57 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I have a dcb that has had a rash on his cheek since October. I told dcm no less than 40Xs, I swear, that I thought it was impetigo. Dcm has no health insurance on dcb (), so I tried to give her all the helpful advice I could of otc stuff to try, and tried to be so patient. She did heed my advice, but each and every thing I suggested and she tried did not produce IMMEDIATE results, which I knew it wouldn't, so she would just quit. But with consistent care, I really do think one of the treatments would have gotten rid of it. It got to the point where I told her that we had to keep it covered with a Band-Aid, because I knew it was impetigo and that is contagious. I hated making dcb wear a Band-Aid on his face, and he was so good about not touching it, but one of the other dcm's commented about it and seemed concerned.

So, she FINALLY took him in to her dermatologist. She said, "She looked at it for 5 seconds and said it was impetigo. I wish someone else could have told me that."

WHAT?!?!?!?! Screaming face pulling hair out emoticon right here! I almost had a temper tantrum myself right then and there! Oh, well. At least he got the Rx meds to clear it up quickly and be done with it.

Normally, I feel like I am treated as a respected wealth of knowledge to my dcfs. Then, something like that goes down, where they clearly don't remember what I told them, and I don't know how to react.
Ugh so frustrating! I've had that happen numerous times!
mrsnj 08:01 AM 07-28-2014
......you know this is going to be asked but....why did you keep him if he was contagious?

Funny though. I just made a post about having to draw stick figures for my parents to get them to understand. Maybe you should try it too. LOL! I sooooooo hear ya and feel your pain! Sometimes don't you just wanna wack a few up the side of the head with your shoe??
Shell 08:07 AM 07-28-2014
Been there- just a different situation. So frustrating!
Second Home 08:12 AM 07-28-2014
Impetigo can be serious if the infection goes deep into the tissue . Poor kid to have had it that long .
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:33 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
......you know this is going to be asked but....why did you keep him if he was contagious?

Funny though. I just made a post about having to draw stick figures for my parents to get them to understand. Maybe you should try it too. LOL! I sooooooo hear ya and feel your pain! Sometimes don't you just wanna wack a few up the side of the head with your shoe??
I let him come because while it is contagious, dcb did keep his hands off of it and I kept it covered. I felt like I had the situation under control. Impetigo hangs around a long time, even with Rx treatment, and I really don't expect parents to miss work for some things, and this is one of them. I also knew that dcm was not going to take him in to a dr with no health insurance until she had exhausted every possible otc avenue. Pick your battles, I suppose!
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:35 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Impetigo can be serious if the infection goes deep into the tissue . Poor kid to have had it that long .
I know. I just hope he doesn't have a life-long scar from it.
Meeko 08:37 AM 07-28-2014
I used to have school age boy who would lick his chin constantly (yuck). It got chapped and sore and lo and behold he got impetigo.

His mother got upset when I told her I wouldn't accept him into care until he had seen a doctor and I got a note with a diagnosis.

She called me after the appointment and said "Wow! You were right! It was that stuff you said!!"

She said it as if she was amazed I could possibly be right!
CraftyMom 10:23 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I used to have school age boy who would lick his chin constantly (yuck). It got chapped and sore and lo and behold he got impetigo.

His mother got upset when I told her I wouldn't accept him into care until he had seen a doctor and I got a note with a diagnosis.

She called me after the appointment and said "Wow! You were right! It was that stuff you said!!"

She said it as if she was amazed I could possibly be right!
Don't you love it when parents realize you actually know something?

A couple weeks ago I had dcb with a bad "diaper rash" only it wasn't in the actual diaper area, just the crease of one leg and definitely did not look like typical diaper rash.

It started on a Thursday, lasted all weekend, by Monday it was bright red and blistery. I told the parents it needed to get checked, it doesn't look to me like diaper rash and is most likely a yeast infection. Dad thought I was nuts! Said it's not yeast, just a rash and he's been using A&D ointment. I told him only problem is he's creating the perfect warm, moist environment that yeast thrive in with the ointment and it needs to get checked.

They make an appointment. What do you know? I get a text later... "Looks like dcb has a yeast infection" ...Ya think?

Like I haven't seen my share of diaper rash and yeast infections to know the difference
KIDZRMYBIZ 02:57 PM 07-28-2014
Yep, Meeko and Crafty. I think daycare providers may very well be the middle children of the daycare world family. We know everything, and share that knowledge, but all the big brothers and big sisters get the credit.
Reply Up