Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fired For Being Pregnant
Unregistered 01:35 PM 07-27-2014
I work in a child care center and just found out that I am 10 weeks pregnant. My boss told me I am a liability and to find another job. She gave me about a month. I am so hurt and upset. I've worked for them nearly three years. Would you fire an sub or assistant for being pregnant?
craftymissbeth 01:50 PM 07-27-2014
No, that's against the law. I'd request the decision in writing... and then take it to an attorney.
Unregistered 01:57 PM 07-27-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
No, that's against the law. I'd request the decision in writing... and then take it to an attorney.
I looked it up and in MS it is not illegal for a company that does not employ more than 15 people.
craftymissbeth 02:11 PM 07-27-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I looked it up and in MS it is not illegal for a company that does not employ more than 15 people.
Ok, then to answer your question...

No, I would not fire an employee for being pregnant.
racemom 02:41 PM 07-27-2014
No that is a silly reason to let someone go. I have worked in childcare with several pregnant women and have never had an issue with any of them. You are not a liability at all.
Unregistered 03:47 PM 07-27-2014
Originally Posted by racemom:
No that is a silly reason to let someone go. I have worked in childcare with several pregnant women and have never had an issue with any of them. You are not a liability at all.
Her excuse is I could hurt the baby while working in a two year old class. With, bending and picking them up. I worked through my last pregnancy cleaning houses and stuff. I just can't believe it. And the kicker is that they let another employee work until she was eight months.
NightOwl 03:58 PM 07-27-2014
Sounds like she's been burned before by someone possibly claiming workman's comp for an injury to their unborn child, but that's no excuse. You are not that person. I don't think it's legal. A lot of states are "at will", meaning they can fire and hire without reason. BUT giving your pregnancy as a reason IS illegal. At least, it is in alabama. I'd find out if your state is "at will".
Unregistered 04:12 PM 07-27-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Sounds like she's been burned before by someone possibly claiming workman's comp for an injury to their unborn child, but that's no excuse. You are not that person. I don't think it's legal. A lot of states are "at will", meaning they can fire and hire without reason. BUT giving your pregnancy as a reason IS illegal. At least, it is in alabama. I'd find out if your state is "at will".
She hasn't been burnt by the one pregnant employee she let continue working. I don't know what the deal is. An at will state means what exactly?
craftymissbeth 05:06 PM 07-27-2014
I looked it up and MS has no law saying it's illegal, but federal law says it is unless the employer has less than 15 employees... then I guess it's perfectly legal. As ridiculous as that is.
midaycare 05:57 PM 07-27-2014
I looked it up and MS has no law saying it's illegal, but federal law says it is unless the employer has less than 15 employees... then I guess it's perfectly legal. As ridiculous as that is.
Whoa...are we still living in the Dark Ages?
Little Buttons 06:33 PM 07-27-2014
...on the way home from my attorney I would drop by my local news station!! This kind of prejudice continues because it is kept quiet!
NightOwl 08:29 PM 07-27-2014
At will means employers can hire and fire at will, without reason. They can just tell you to hit the road without explanation. Not fair, I know, but it's legal. BUT, I don't think they can fire you and say it's because you're pregnant. That's discrimination. Just like they can't say we're not hiring you because your black or we're firing you because you have a disability. That's totally illegal and just plain wrong. So, pregnant or not, they would be within their rights to fire you with no reason and you would have to walk. But firing you and saying it's because you're pregnant is illegal.
craftymissbeth 01:00 PM 07-28-2014
http://www.wageproject.org/files/MS_preg.php

Originally Posted by :
What does the law in Mississippi say about pregnancy discrimination?

There are no specific state laws in Mississippi forbidding discrimination on the basis of pregnancy.

However, there are federal laws that protect women by prohibiting pregnancy discrimination. The Pregnancy Discrimination Act amended Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include pregnancy as an illegal ground for discrimination.

Under federal law, what is illegal?

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 forbids an employer from refusing to hire, terminating or "otherwise discriminat[ing] against any individual with respect to [her] compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of [her] sex..."

The law defines "because of [her] sex" to mean "because of...pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions..."

Who is covered by Title VII?

Any employee who works for an employer with 15 or more employees and has faced discrimination because she is pregnant can bring an action under the law.

melilley 01:09 PM 07-28-2014
What a ridiculous excuse to let you go!

I worked in a daycare center with both of my pregnancies. In fact, with my first, I was in labor at work (didn't know it) and with my second, I worked up until 2 days before they decided to induce me. I was the lead teacher in the toddler room and picked kids up all the time and if I couldn't, then I didn't, but that rarely happened. Plus, why would you need to pick 2 year olds up all the time? Sorry that happened to you!
Reply Up