Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What part of no.......
mrsnj 07:50 AM 07-28-2014
I think I am going to start drawing my parents notes with stick figures so that they can understand what I am saying cause I swear I think I speak another language.

I am trying to schedule in for Sept and already dealing with scheduling of a current prek client. Mom also has an older school age child. Last year was my year from hell for school age kids. Four buses and two drop in siblings asking for spots! The first school closing I had more people want to bring their older child to me than I had prek. That is NOT my set up. I am not a babysitter! So I had to set rules last year. No siblings enrolled....no spots on school closings. And from those who have siblings here, those who pay for before/after get first dibs. Drops ins were on availability. So this child hardly came last year cause he was just a drop in and I hardly had drop in openings. This year I make it clear....I am NOT doing drop ins. At all. Period. It is not even being offered on an availability bases. No. Either you are before/after or not. Otherwise don't ask. I am currently down to ONE before/after and doing a happy dance!

So she texts me and inquires about the drop in for the school age. Now I have already spoken to the gmom twice on Mon and Friday last week.(they work together on care and pick up for here). Spoke to the mom about it via phone on Thur. No. No. And just in case. No. I explain why. The whole thing. Not doing drop in. Sorry Can't do it. Positions will only be offered to before/after. She texts again yesterday.....This is now my FOURTH convo about this

This is the text I get......
Mom:"So in regard to C. I understand no drop ins. I cannot have him coming to work with dad or I. It cannot be done. So what about Christmas and everything?"

Me(again) "I can only take the before/after. I am sorry but drop in is not being offered"

Mom: "So does this mean NO Christmas?" *insert eye twitch smilie here*

I did not respond back. I mean seriously. I am over this convo. How many times can I explain what no means. No Christmas. No Easter break. No half days. No Columbus Day....Valentines.....Wear Orange Day....WHATEVER. NO..Drop....Ins.

She doesn't want to pay for before/after. So I am not sure WHOS problem this is but I do know that this convo is getting me mad.

Do they think if they keep asking in different ways I will give in???

Sorry for the frustration post but I am ready to pull my hair out!
CraftyMom 08:09 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
I think I am going to start drawing my parents notes with stick figures so that they can understand what I am saying cause I swear I think I speak another language.

I am trying to schedule in for Sept and already dealing with scheduling of a current prek client. Mom also has an older school age child. Last year was my year from hell for school age kids. Four buses and two drop in siblings asking for spots! The first school closing I had more people want to bring their older child to me than I had prek. That is NOT my set up. I am not a babysitter! So I had to set rules last year. No siblings enrolled....no spots on school closings. And from those who have siblings here, those who pay for before/after get first dibs. Drops ins were on availability. So this child hardly came last year cause he was just a drop in and I hardly had drop in openings. This year I make it clear....I am NOT doing drop ins. At all. Period. It is not even being offered on an availability bases. No. Either you are before/after or not. Otherwise don't ask. I am currently down to ONE before/after and doing a happy dance!

So she texts me and inquires about the drop in for the school age. Now I have already spoken to the gmom twice on Mon and Friday last week.(they work together on care and pick up for here). Spoke to the mom about it via phone on Thur. No. No. And just in case. No. I explain why. The whole thing. Not doing drop in. Sorry Can't do it. Positions will only be offered to before/after. She texts again yesterday.....This is now my FOURTH convo about this

Mom:"So in regard to C. I understand no drop ins. I cannot have him coming to work with dad or I. It cannot be done. So what about Christmas and everything?"

Me(again) "I can only take the before/after. I am sorry but drop in is not being offered"

I did not respond back. I mean seriously. I am over this convo. How many times can I explain what no means. No Christmas. No Easter break. No half days. No Columbus Day....Valentines.....Wear Orange Day....WHATEVER. NO..Drop....Ins.

She doesn't want to pay for before/after. So I am not sure WHOS problem this is but I do know that this convo is getting me mad.

Does this particular child come before/after school? Or she JUST wants school vacas?
Unregistered 08:09 AM 07-28-2014
How about emailing her a yearly calendar page with the words 'not available for drop ins' scrawled across it?
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:14 AM 07-28-2014
I feel your pain. I used to do the SA siblings on days out, too, but like you, I am not set up for it. My business is FT daycare for the 5-years-and-under crowd. The SAs large bodies were ruining my little kiddo equipment and furnishings. The SAs were getting bored with my little kiddo stuff, and sometimes impatient with the little kiddos themselves. I can go on and on about the evils of SAs in mixed-age daycares.

So, now I have 2 spots to fill. 2 of the 3 interviews I did for it had SA siblings. I told the potential clients I DID NOT have space for them in no uncertain terms, and they both said it was not a deal-breaker and went ahead and set up interviews. Both families came to their interviews with the SA kids in tow (which is fine with me), but it was in hopes that I would not be able to resist them and change my mind. What a waste of time, for both of us. I said no. I meant no.

I think it's because the program at our public school is so expensive. And I think it should be. That's quite a convenience to have b/a and day out care right at your kid's school. I find it funny that all day care there is $28.00 per day, but I had dcfs freak out because I wanted to charge $15.
mrsnj 08:14 AM 07-28-2014
Crafty- No. Just drop in. Not before/after. Like school half days and holidays etc. This child is not enrolled with me otherwise.

I am thinking instead of the calendar, I just stamp it on her forehead!?
CraftyMom 08:17 AM 07-28-2014

CraftyMom 08:18 AM 07-28-2014
So really, you will not be taking him anymore? Maybe a nice term notice? "Due to no longer offering drop-in care I will no longer be able to care for xxx"
mrsnj 08:21 AM 07-28-2014
Can't term if he isn't enrolled. His sister comes here.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:21 AM 07-28-2014
Maybe it's the wording of drop-ins that she is not getting. She might not think she is considered drop-in if she has one regular sibling there. I would suggest changing the wording that only before/after care is available, and no all-day care is available for SA kiddos.
mrsnj 08:23 AM 07-28-2014
OMG KIDZ- RIGHT!? It really isn't worth the headache!

Im looking to get rid of my school age kids completely. As in not even before/after. It isn't worth it for me in the end. I am down to one before/after. One. And this upcoming summer will be her last too.
Play Care 08:23 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
So really, you will not be taking him anymore? Maybe a nice term notice? "Due to no longer offering drop-in care I will no longer be able to care for xxx"

Play Care 08:25 AM 07-28-2014
Can't term if he isn't enrolled. His sister comes here.
I think you can. *You* know what "not enrolled" means, mom obviously doesnt
Meyou 08:47 AM 07-28-2014
I'd take him for holidays....for my regular monthly fee paid year round. Maybe offering THAT to mom would make her understand the difference between a spot and a drop in.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:49 AM 07-28-2014
OMG KIDZ- RIGHT!? It really isn't worth the headache!

Im looking to get rid of my school age kids completely. As in not even before/after. It isn't worth it for me in the end. I am down to one before/after. One. And this upcoming summer will be her last too.
It was an easy decision to make to not take SA anymore, but very hard to implement. I had to "let go" 2 dcfs with now SA kids that I had watched since they were very little. They were both shocked when they called to set up summer care, and I told them sorry, can't do it anymore. I felt so crumby telling them...then so ELATED when it was done!!!

Then I made the (short-lived, thank goodness) mistake of watching one SA this summer just so I could have her 2yo brother. I decided I will never, at any point, be desperate enough to fill a spot that I will make exception to take another SA "just this once." I will eat only Ramen for 6 months straight to avoid it if I have to! And I might have to soon.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:58 AM 07-28-2014
Since she is obviously special I would offer- Drop in spot is available- 2 weeks notice of needing days to see if they are available. $250 per day.
NightOwl 10:35 AM 07-28-2014
Crafty- No. Just drop in. Not before/after. Like school half days and holidays etc. This child is not enrolled with me otherwise.

Stamps wash off. Sharpie? Tattoo?
NightOwl 10:36 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Since she is obviously special I would offer- Drop in spot is available- 2 weeks notice of needing days to see if they are available. $250 per day.

Laurel 10:48 AM 07-28-2014

You: Yes, this means no Christmas or any other holidays. No half days, teacher work days or summer days. I am discontinuing drop in care for school agers for any reason. I am only watching children ages 5 and under from this point forward. Thank you.

Laurel
Angelsj 11:13 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
So what you are saying is No Christmas?? lol

I like this plan! Good extra money for Christmas
AmyKidsCo 01:17 PM 07-28-2014
Oh, but no doesn't apply to HER! She's SPECIAL - that word only applies to other people.

If she's not interested in before/after school then I'd just tell her you can't take him at all - you don't have an opening for him.

OR..

You DO have an opening for him to attend full days, but it's a full time opening so they'd have to pay the full rate every week to make sure the opening is available when they need it.

Good luck!!
Reply Up