Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Immediate Termination & Deposit Refund
Unregistered 02:55 AM 07-23-2014
I had a boy come two weeks ago Wednesday with terrible hives and facial swelling. I immediately sent him home, after documenting with pictures. He did not attend on Thursday or Friday due to the severity of the rash.

On Friday evening his mother sent an e-transfer of fees as per normal for the next week's care. I did not open it at the time as that very weekend I was busy selling my house. I cared for the boy the following weeek Monday through Wednesday. On Thursday morning I went to deposit there's she had sent t previous Friday only to note they were short two days fees. I texted and asked her to please tsck that $$ on this weeks pay. She refused, stating she did not feel she had to pay for his sick time, dispute being contractually obligated. I asked her to reconsider. She again refused. I terminated immediately for nonpayment of fees.

I found this thread here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...nation+deposit

I intend to refund their deposit as it was me who terminated immediately. Am I able to deduct the $60 in late fees from when payment was shorted me until I terminated? My contract states that $10/day in late fees will accrue until payment has been made in full.

I am a registered member logged out for privacy.
bklsmum 03:48 AM 07-23-2014
In my opinion you are ABSOLUTELY allowed to take out any fees that are still owed to you.
Unregistered 03:58 AM 07-23-2014
In Canada we can send email transfers of money, which provides an auto receipt when cashed. This is how all my clients pay me. Do I send the deposit by email transfer or do I pay for a certified cheque and registered mail? I worry they will refuse the email transfer if they see it is not the full amount, but my due diligence will have been done?

OP posting.
daycarediva 04:06 AM 07-23-2014
I would subtract the two days, and late fees for non payment of those days if it were covered in my contract. Then I would send a certified check (or something that they have to sign for with a receipt that they received it, not sure what's available in your area).
MOM OF 4 04:01 PM 07-24-2014
I'd say

"Dear DCPARENT,
Here is a refund of your deposit less (2 days fees + per day late charges thru term date), as per our contract...." (and whatever else you want to add, but I'd make it short/sweet/simple.

Your Provider who you used and watched your kids for FREE.
Unregistered 07:54 PM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by MOM OF 4:
I'd say

"Dear DCPARENT,
Here is a refund of your deposit less (2 days fees + per day late charges thru term date), as per our contract...." (and whatever else you want to add, but I'd make it short/sweet/simple.

Your Provider who you used and watched your kids for FREE.
I agree!!
Crazy8 05:38 AM 07-25-2014
I wouldn't be refunding deposit at all - you terminated due to non-payment. Deposit would be forfeited according to my contract.
LaLa1923 05:48 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I wouldn't be refunding deposit at all - you terminated due to non-payment. Deposit would be forfeited according to my contract.
Exactly this!
MarinaVanessa 07:24 AM 07-25-2014
What does your contract say specifically about your deposit? Refundable? Non refundable? Used to pay for final 2 weeks of care? Used to pay towards any owed fees?

I think it really just depends on what your contract says. If your contract doesn't say what happens to it under these circumstances then I would think you should return it minus the fees they owe. I would send it first through email as she had been paying you all along. Just treat it normally. If she refuses it I'm assuming that you will be notified via email that it was rejected. If this happens then you'll know right away that she expects her refund in full but at least you will have proof that you tried to send her what was left after subtracting the 2 days she owes you. Then I'd definitely send it again via certified mail/check. BUT I would wait a bit and see if she even asks for it back. Jas she requested a refund yet?
Reply Up