Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Washing Infant Hands
craftymissbeth 01:55 PM 07-27-2014
I know this is a ridiculous question, but we are required to wash infant hands just like we do for older children except for newborns.

My question is...

How do all of you go about safely washing infant hands? I currently take them to the bathroom and juggle them on my knee while I soap them up and then try my best to hold their hands under the water without bonking their noggins on the medicine cabinet. Are we allowed to use a soapy, clean, one-use wash cloth to wash infant hands? Like if I were to buy a large supply of white wash cloths, use them once, and wash them daily (so they are never reused until they've been laundered).

I have a very wiggly 8 month old and I'm terrified of dropping him.
LysesKids 03:09 PM 07-27-2014
I personally just hold the baby in one arm and wash their hands under the faucet like older kids. I have no problem when I use a pump bottle for the soap and the babies get a kick out of it because they are treated like big kids. We do it anytime after we eat and I just dry their hands like I would an older baby
SignMeUp 03:32 PM 07-27-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I personally just hold the baby in one arm and wash their hands under the faucet like older kids. I have no problem when I use a pump bottle for the soap and the babies get a kick out of it because they are treated like big kids. We do it anytime after we eat and I just dry their hands like I would an older baby
How does that work for a two month old?
craftymissbeth 04:29 PM 07-27-2014
Yes, how does that work for the especially young ones? And we have to wash hands about a thousand times per day so I'd like to streamline this.

And I'm specifically concerned about the wiggly ones because this child does death rolls to try to get out of my arms.
craftymissbeth 04:29 PM 07-27-2014
Actually it does work because that's what I do but it doesn't work well do me at all
Angelsj 05:18 PM 07-27-2014
For tinies, I use a single use wash cloth (actually a baby wash cloth) and I don't bother with soap. Once they start crawling, I use soap and water and the juggle on one arm method.
If you are concerned, maybe a soapy wash cloth, then a clear wipe cloth, single use each?
nothingwithoutjoy 06:05 PM 07-27-2014
I don't have infants at the moment, but when I did, I just used their washcloth w/soapy water. Each kid has a washcloth, identified by color. We use it for one day, then I launder them. (I rinse them out between uses in the sink.) My licensor wasn't thrilled about it, but agreed that it would be fine.
hope 07:45 PM 07-27-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
For tinies, I use a single use wash cloth (actually a baby wash cloth) and I don't bother with soap. Once they start crawling, I use soap and water and the juggle on one arm method.
If you are concerned, maybe a soapy wash cloth, then a clear wipe cloth, single use each?
I do this but with one cloth....soapy on one side and just plain wet on the other half. Soap their little hands up with half and wipe bubbles up with other half. If still soapy I baby wipe to finish. Keep a basket as hamper along with a stack of clothes.
LysesKids 03:28 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
How does that work for a two month old?
Most my babes come to me around 3 months... I just wipe real littles hands with wipes, it's once they are the dinner table at about 6-7 months I have to worry lol. The fact my babies grow up having hands washed makes it easier because all my kids are monkey see, monkey do lol
coolconfidentme 04:05 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Most my babes come to me around 3 months... I just wipe real littles hands with wipes, it's once they are the dinner table at about 6-7 months I have to worry lol. The fact my babies grow up having hands washed makes it easier because all my kids are monkey see, monkey do lol
We cannot do this in Indiana per licensing. I asked.
LysesKids 05:53 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
We cannot do this in Indiana per licensing. I asked.
That;s why I went to license exempt when I was in Lafayette; being near Purdue Univ kept me busy... after being registered for the first 6 months I told them to take it away; don't tell me that personal exeption /waiver is ok for shots (state reg), then write me up because my entire daycare had exemptions... ALL my clients at the time had literally just come into the country at the time (Purdue students & professors) and many countries start immunizations their kids later.

I stay license exempt when i can now because some regs are just too crazy... sort of wanted to be licensed here, but after seeing the NEW RULES, NOPE. I'm good; BTW, I do run like I'm licensed... written contract & policies, Food program etc...
Tags:hand washing, washing hands, washing infant hands
Reply Up