Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sandals? Flip Flops?
Neekie 01:12 PM 05-15-2012
Do you allow the kids to wear open-toed sandals or flip flops when they are running around playing outside?
Michael 01:14 PM 05-15-2012
Here's an earlier post on flip flops and shoe footwear policies: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21358
KDC 02:43 PM 05-15-2012
My kids LIVE in flip flops. We do draw the line when it's too cold out, as my oldest would wear flip flops just short of snow on the ground! Their ages are 6, 5, & 3. I completely understand why you wouldn't want them, the constant washing of the feet before stepping foot on our carpet is enough to drive anyone batty. Crocs are just as dirty. The trade off is they're fairly easy to slip on, so it takes way less time to get them out the door. I have several that will ONLY wear rain boots. This makes for fun climbing at the park

If someone else were watching my children I do not feel it's an unfair request. You might be doing the Mom a favor
youretooloud 03:18 PM 05-15-2012
In the summer, I prefer flip flop type shoes. I don't want hot closed in shoes with strings and socks. I want them to just grab em and go. I spend three months every year looking for socks at the end of the day. Then, one month finding lost socks that have been missing since November.
daycare 03:20 PM 05-15-2012
my program is different than most others I am sure. I have a summer sports camp so I require that all kids come in socks in shoes each day. I do not allow flip flops or shoes that can fly off.
Blackcat31 03:25 PM 05-15-2012
ALL my kids have a good pair of running shoes they keep in their cubbies.

I do not care what they arrive in as long as they have appropriate shoes for when we take walks or play outside.
dEHmom 03:47 PM 05-15-2012
I actually sent a request out FOR sandals to stay at daycare, but they have to be the velco style ones with 3 straps to be adjusted, AND a pair of outdoor shoes, which will alternate when needed with rubber boots. I don't even mind crocs for the littlest ones as long as they STAY on. If they fall off because of being too big, then they are not allowed to wear them. I had a dcg coming in winterboots still a few weeks ago! Mom didn't have rubber boots.

I can't stand when kids come with shoes that constantly fall off, or refuse to go ON and you have to force their feet in. I hate when i have to spend 10 mins per kid getting shoes on, and then they fall off easily. The sandals with velcro actually allows them to still wear socks if it's a bit chillier in the mornings or whatever, and they are easy enough to rinse off under the hose if they get muddy. When they runners get wet, they take forever to dry and never feel as comfy.

I can see though by reading the other thread how most would prefer not to have opened toed shoes. I find the older kids generally just come in runners anyways, so not a biggie to me. I will not allow flip flops though.
daycare 03:50 PM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I actually sent a request out FOR sandals to stay at daycare, but they have to be the velco style ones with 3 straps to be adjusted, AND a pair of outdoor shoes, which will alternate when needed with rubber boots. I don't even mind crocs for the littlest ones as long as they STAY on. If they fall off because of being too big, then they are not allowed to wear them. I had a dcg coming in winterboots still a few weeks ago! Mom didn't have rubber boots.

I can't stand when kids come with shoes that constantly fall off, or refuse to go ON and you have to force their feet in. I hate when i have to spend 10 mins per kid getting shoes on, and then they fall off easily. The sandals with velcro actually allows them to still wear socks if it's a bit chillier in the mornings or whatever, and they are easy enough to rinse off under the hose if they get muddy. When they runners get wet, they take forever to dry and never feel as comfy.

I can see though by reading the other thread how most would prefer not to have opened toed shoes. I find the older kids generally just come in runners anyways, so not a biggie to me. I will not allow flip flops though.
I had a family that brought their kid daily with no shoes and brought some with them that were too small. I felt so bad when I was not aware that the shoes did not fit the child and the child went home with blisters the size of Texas on their feet.. I thought that they were just hard to get on.....
cheeseheadmama 03:51 PM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
ALL my kids have a good pair of running shoes they keep in their cubbies.

I do not care what they arrive in as long as they have appropriate shoes for when we take walks or play outside.
This is exactly how I feel. I have had so many kids get hurt trying to run in flip flops that I have out right banned them for outside play. Any other time is fine, but running, jumping, chasing etc. means we wear real shoes.
meganlavonnesmommy 07:38 AM 05-16-2012
NO flip flops or open toe sandals are allowed at my house.
Tennis shoes only.

We play at the park almost every day, and its covered with chopped
up mulch. Its sharp and pointy and gets in their shoes.

I've had too many accidents caused by 2 year olds in flip flops trying to run.
godiva83 08:08 AM 05-16-2012
No open toe shoes of any sorts! Being a Director of a larger centre I have simply seen way too many accidents due to flip flops!!

Closed toe sandles, or you are not allowed to run, play, play on the climber during outdoor time - you go to the sandbox or quiet grass play lol usually it happens once than the closed toe shoes get sent in
MarinaVanessa 10:04 AM 05-16-2012
I live in southern CA so asking a parent not to bring their child in flip-flops or any sort of sandal is like forbidding them to bring their child in shorts. As long as the child can walk in them and keep them on without them slipping off, they can wear them. Heck my DS is only 18 months old and he's been wearing flip-flops since he learned how to walk (the ones with the straps in the back). I started him early and now he can run with them on.

I don't have mulch type stuff on the ground however, only sand in the sandbox and our park has sand on the playground too so not a big problem. They can come in cowboy boots or galoshes for all I care as long as they fit, stay on and they are used properly. The only rule that I have for shoes is that they can't wear laces unless they can tie them themselves. Everything else is all good.
Tags:flipflops, shoes - inside
Reply Up