Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pros and Cons of Offering Drop In Care
Unregistered 02:58 PM 04-13-2017
I am thinking about offering drop in care. Looking for pros and cons before I commit or advertise.

Thanks!
Michael 03:13 PM 04-13-2017
Some threads you can read regarding Drop-in Care: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=drop+in+care
Pepperth 03:19 PM 04-13-2017
I offered a decent amount of drop-in care when I first opened before I filled up with regular clients. The largest con I saw was that the children weren't necessarily on my schedule. For me, the best thing about it was the added money, as I was able to get several regular drop-in children each week. It also gave me several references and great word of mouth as a new provider. I think there is a huge need. Also, you could easily take random days off by simply not booking people for that day.
Unregistered 03:24 PM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by Michael:
Some threads you can read regarding Drop-in Care: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=drop+in+care
Thank you! I will look into this.
Unregistered 03:34 PM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I offered a decent amount of drop-in care when I first opened before I filled up with regular clients. The largest con I saw was that the children weren't necessarily on my schedule. For me, the best thing about it was the added money, as I was able to get several regular drop-in children each week. It also gave me several references and great word of mouth as a new provider. I think there is a huge need. Also, you could easily take random days off by simply not booking people for that day.

The pros you listed are great and kind of what I was hoping for if I went through with it. I like the idea of the flexibility I could have. How did you work around the schedule differences?
Pepperth 04:56 PM 04-13-2017
I didn't focus too heavily on a schedule, and just focused on the basics of food and nap, supplimented with lots of outside play to wear them out. I didn't have a large group at the time and I always had 1 or 2 kids on my schedule, so the others seemed to follow suit.
daycare 06:07 PM 04-13-2017
cons for me would be parents getting upset because they couldn't always get the days they wanted, would get uspet I wouldn't allow for them to transfer days when they didn't use one.

they often treated me like a babysitter with the attitude that they were my boss.

Most kids who did drop in were hard to care for because they didn't have a consistent routine.

they didn't build relationships as well as the ones that were consistent part or full time. They were that kid that was just there some time.

I also didn't like that drop in parents seemed to always be the ones NOT following the rules.

UGH billy is sick and I already paid for that one day so no matter what, billy is going to go. THEN when I would say no or send home, the parents wanted a refund or credit for another day.

As you can see, I don't like drop in...lol

To each their own I guess. I just know that I prefer more of a consistent schedule for everyone, parent, child and provider.
LysesKids 06:26 PM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am thinking about offering drop in care. Looking for pros and cons before I commit or advertise.

Thanks!
For me the pro was extra income when I had spaces open; con to that was I can only take 4 kids and I usually only had one spot open and even then only for a month or two until a new family contracted regular care... I did end up turning families away sometimes especially around Holidays and Final exam time (Universities).

I advertise first call, first booked and I make sure that I have each family sign a drop-in contract specifically stating this was not regularly scheduled full or part time care & that spaces were never guaranteed to be available at anytime. I don't have openings now, but still have it listed as an option on my website just in case I do get an opening. Payment for the day is always prepay @ drop-off or there is no care given.
Mike 06:58 PM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
cons for me would be parents getting upset because they couldn't always get the days they wanted, would get uspet I wouldn't allow for them to transfer days when they didn't use one.

they often treated me like a babysitter with the attitude that they were my boss.

Most kids who did drop in were hard to care for because they didn't have a consistent routine.

they didn't build relationships as well as the ones that were consistent part or full time. They were that kid that was just there some time.

I also didn't like that drop in parents seemed to always be the ones NOT following the rules.

UGH billy is sick and I already paid for that one day so no matter what, billy is going to go. THEN when I would say no or send home, the parents wanted a refund or credit for another day.

To each their own I guess. I just know that I prefer more of a consistent schedule for everyone, parent, child and provider.
Lots of good points here.
CityGarden 11:10 PM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:

100% to all Daycare stated plus I will add the effort you put out to market drop in would be better served to just fill your open spots.
Daycare Insurance 11:48 AM 04-14-2017
Another thing to consider is whether your insurance company covers drop in care. Some companies have a strict definition of what they consider an enrolled child, so it's a good idea to check with them before making your decision.
MOM OF 4 03:28 PM 04-15-2017
I liked drop-in FOR SPECIFIC OCCASIONS, such as

I would like parents who regularly dropped in, meaning at least once or twice a week. Things would get way thrown off if they were monthly or less frequent.

The things I noticed:
Drop-in paid more per day
If the money was in hand, great, but if not, I didn't feel as bad turning them away as I would a regular client
I had more flexibility as to the times I could offer.
I had more flexibility on certain holidays if I wanted to offer, spring break, snow days, etc; usually was full during these times, and made even more than my regular drop-in rates for any holiday
I did not allow swapping of days, so this was a plus. If a parent booked, paid and then didn't use the day, there was no refund or transfer. Another day was another payment.

Cons:
If parents didn't have the $, I would have to turn them away so I had to learn not to expect them to pay at drop-off
Children were not on my schedule
Sometimes, it disrupted our routine
Sometimes, you didn't know what you were in for that day, especially if I didn't get to meet the child beforehand.
Tags:drop in care
Reply Up