Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Minnesota Daycare Requirements
Unregistered 08:14 AM 10-18-2011
Hi there,

I know that there are several home providors from MN on here so could someone lay out for me how many children a single home providor (no assistant) in MN can have in each age group? Like, 2 kids under 12months etc.

I looked on our state page and can't find the information.

Thank you for your help.
Blackcat31 08:43 AM 10-18-2011
Family childcare providers operating on a

Class A, B, C1 license can have 3 under 2 yrs (no more than 2 of these 3 shall be under 12 months)
Class B2 license can have 4 under 2 yrs (no more then 2 of those 4 can be under 12 months)

The Class C3 and Class D license holder MUST have two adults or one helper present.

The adult to child ratios are different for those with an assistant and/or second caregiver.

Many providers hold a larger license but operate under different (smaller) classes, depending on the attendance they have. I have held a Class C3 license for the last 10 years but operate as a Class A, C1 and/or C2 frequently.

The above license capacities can also vary if the provider has a variance (special permission to allow more children in certain age categories).

For example, I have less pre-schoolers than I am allowed so I have a variance to have more toddlers than I normally could. This variance is in writting and pre-approved by my licensor BEFORE I can begin the care for the kids in this situation.

Sorry this is confusing, but it is a complicated thing.

Are you are provider or parent? If you have any additional questions or need more clarification, please post. I can try to help.
Unregistered 08:59 AM 10-18-2011
Thank you for your quick answer. I am a parent and am just curious how many kids per age group providors are able to have. My husband and I are having a disagreement about this and how many are too many for us to consider a daycare.

I just was wondering how many infants, toddlers and preschoolers someone could have. I thought that the total number was 10 and I was just curious how it was broken up after that.
Blackcat31 09:12 AM 10-18-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you for your quick answer. I am a parent and am just curious how many kids per age group providors are able to have. My husband and I are having a disagreement about this and how many are too many for us to consider a daycare.

I just was wondering how many infants, toddlers and preschoolers someone could have. I thought that the total number was 10 and I was just curious how it was broken up after that.
No problem...Happy to help!

Here is the link to our licensing rules/regs that explains the whole confusing guideline. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=9502.0367
kelli050 09:40 AM 01-17-2012
Just browsing some information on Minnesota - thanks for the link Blackcat. My husband and I are actually looking at starting a husband/wife daycare - I'm not 100% clear on how this would affect the number of children we could take and whether we are counting our own children (6, 4 and 1). I quit providing daycare about 2 years ago as we moved and I was unable to operate in the new home as it was a rental and the landlord didn't approve. We are looking at buying a home and we're really wanting to provide daycare together. Any insight would be helpful!
Blackcat31 10:14 AM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by kelli050:
Just browsing some information on Minnesota - thanks for the link Blackcat. My husband and I are actually looking at starting a husband/wife daycare - I'm not 100% clear on how this would affect the number of children we could take and whether we are counting our own children (6, 4 and 1). I quit providing daycare about 2 years ago as we moved and I was unable to operate in the new home as it was a rental and the landlord didn't approve. We are looking at buying a home and we're really wanting to provide daycare together. Any insight would be helpful!
Having a second adult caregiver only allows you to have 14 children rather than 12 because with 12, 2 of them must be school age and with 14, 4 of them can be school age.
You also have to be licensed for 10 children (C1) for one full year before you can be come group care and have 12-14.

Unfortunately having a second adult caregiver does nothing for allowing you to have more than the normal 10 under school age.

Wish it did though ....my DH works quit a bit with me and I would love it if it allowed us to have more children in care.

Your own children count in your licensing capacity until age 11.
kelli050 01:02 PM 01-17-2012
Exactly the info I needed! We're looking at both getting licensed and having just me be the provider for the next year or so then moving onto a group care with him staying home with me as well, but we'll see Thanks for the great input!
Tags:minnesota, minnesota - requirements, requirements
Reply Up