Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tour Horror Stories!
EAP 09:16 AM 11-07-2012
So I'm sure I'm not the only one who everything seems to go wrong with the kids during a tour? There have to be funny stories! Today wasn't funny but the kid who is aging out because he is older and it isn't a good fit kept climbing on top of all the furniture, hitting and then took a running start and jumped on top of a child who was laying down in the quiet area. Then kept shooting me with his "hand gun" and screaming. This day can't end soon enough.
SunshineMama 10:07 AM 11-07-2012
Originally Posted by EAP:
So I'm sure I'm not the only one who everything seems to go wrong with the kids during a tour? There have to be funny stories! Today wasn't funny but the kid who is aging out because he is older and it isn't a good fit kept climbing on top of all the furniture, hitting and then took a running start and jumped on top of a child who was laying down in the quiet area. Then kept shooting me with his "hand gun" and screaming. This day can't end soon enough.
Once i interviewed a family with a newborn and my 3 year old dd (who didn't want me to take on an infant... obviously), threw the most epic screaming fit I have ever seen in my entire life. I ignored her and let her scream it out in the hallway while I continued on with the interview, apologetically. What else could I do? If I gave that behavior any attention at all, she would think it was okay for every interview.

The (first time) parents kept saying, "Awww. Poor thing. She wants her mommy." I'm thinking, oh that little stinker is really putting on a show! I wrote off the family and figured I would never hear from them again. 2 days later, the mom called and wanted to sign up lol.
MarinaVanessa 02:14 PM 11-07-2012
My DD loves people and is the biggest chatter box you'll ever meet. For this reason I have DH keep her upstairs and occupied during interviews or he'll take our kids out of the house. Before I did this my interviews were awful because my DD would interject at every moment possible.

ME: This is our living room. This is the main playroom which doubles as our nap room.
Parent: (opens mouth to speak)
DD: I don't like naps. My mom makes me take naps.
Parent: "Oh how nice, (looking at me) amd are these all of the toys the kids use?"
ME: "No, we have more, but we switch them out freque..."
DD: "I like the lincoln logs and the big legos. I can build a house watch"
ME: "frequently rotate. (give DD the stink eye) And over here is the kitchen.."
DD: "I like dogs, do you like dogs?"

you get the point Getting clients with her around was EXTREMELY difficult.
kitykids3 05:15 PM 11-07-2012
This is why I hold my tours with no kiddos around. Too distracting for me, and them.
Kim 05:24 PM 11-07-2012
I had a lovely 4yr old boy drop the F bomb within the first 5 minutes of an interview. Needless to say it was a very short interview, they were not accepted into care and I wished them all the best in their search for care.

My kids are not allowed during interviews either. They stay with DH upstairs and usually make an appearance to introduce themselves and that's it.
SquirrellyMama 11:06 AM 11-08-2012
I had a funny interview once. The mom obviously didn't like my cat which I could tell from the way she looked at him as we were walking past my bedroom. We went to the basement to talk and the cat followed us down. When it was time for us to come back up the stairs, my very fat (16 lbs) cat was blocking the stairs. As we were walking up he started coughing up a huge hairball I laughed long and hard about that one.

I didn't not hear from them again. I was fine with that. I could tell the mom and I would not mesh.

K
jen2651 11:30 AM 11-08-2012
My daughter was potty training and my husband was out of town. She had realized the thrill of being at my beck and call when she said she needed to pee. Of course, she decided she needed to go about 8 times throughout the interview. they did sign up, but chose to start in 3 weeks...my guess is they were waiting for her to be trained!!
Reply Up