Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Blocking Fire Place
Unregistered 10:04 AM 10-14-2016
Hey everyone! Luke 25 here. Having log in issues haha Needing some advice....
I have a fire place and they are obessed with climbing on it. Obviously I tell them no, give them consequences etc but they are 2 and under and don't listen.
Anyways.. any ideas of a way to block off?? I tried a playyard gate stretched out but they can climb over it.
And also just wanted to say we do lots of activities, I rotate toys, we play outside, etc so it's not a boredom thing. I've even tried not having free play for more than 30 minutes at a time. They still instantly go over to it.
Im getting really frustrated. Thai is the hardest group I've ever worked with and running out of all my behavior tricks. Lol
Blackcat31 10:07 AM 10-14-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hey everyone! Luke 25 here. Having log in issues haha Needing some advice....
I have a fire place and they are obessed with climbing on it. Obviously I tell them no, give them consequences etc but they are 2 and under and don't listen.
Anyways.. any ideas of a way to block off?? I tried a playyard gate stretched out but they can climb over it.
And also just wanted to say we do lots of activities, I rotate toys, we play outside, etc so it's not a boredom thing. I've even tried not having free play for more than 30 minutes at a time. They still instantly go over to it.
Im getting really frustrated. Thai is the hardest group I've ever worked with and running out of all my behavior tricks. Lol
Here are several other threads about fire places and safety:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=fireplace

Do you need a password reset e-mail to be sent?
I can generate one to help you get logged back in...
Unregistered 10:25 AM 10-14-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here are several other threads about fire places and safety:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=fireplace

Do you need a password reset e-mail to be sent?
I can generate one to help you get logged back in...
Thank you so much!

That would be great thanks!!
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 10-14-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you so much!

That would be great thanks!!
I sent you a password reminder e-mail.

If that does not work, let me know and I'll see what I can do!
Ariana 11:28 AM 10-14-2016
Why not let them explore the fireplace with your supervision? Whenever I have curious cats I let them explore with close supervision and they tend to get bored of it after they do that. Sometimes being off limits creates more curiosity! You could also talk about why the fireplace is dangerous as they are exploring it, explaining why it is not a place for playing.
mommiebookworm 01:34 PM 10-14-2016
If you don't use the fireplace, what about blocking it with a bookshelf or dresser (some type of furniture)? I saw a pic of a daycare room, where the provider had a cube shelf blocking the fireplace.
Luke25 07:54 AM 10-15-2016
I sent you a password reminder e-mail.

If that does not work, let me know and I'll see what I can do!
Thanks! It worked!
daycare 08:13 AM 10-15-2016
In my state it's a licensing requirement to block the FP

I used to have a shelf blocking it and now I have a white picket fence. I would have to take a picture of it.
Luke25 01:25 PM 10-15-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
In my state it's a licensing requirement to block the FP

I used to have a shelf blocking it and now I have a white picket fence. I would have to take a picture of it.
th
That would be great if you would. I saw a picture of one but wasn't quite sure how to mount it.
Luke25 01:27 PM 10-15-2016
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
If you don't use the fireplace, what about blocking it with a bookshelf or dresser (some type of furniture)? I saw a pic of a daycare room, where the provider had a cube shelf blocking the fireplace.
Well we have a fire place with a brick step up to it so I'm not sure that would work/be safe and we do use it in the winter so I was hoping to find something easy to move. I'll definitely look into that though. Thanks!
daycare 02:40 PM 10-15-2016
Originally Posted by Luke25:
th
That would be great if you would. I saw a picture of one but wasn't quite sure how to mount it.
Pm me your email address and I will send it to you.
Blackcat31 02:53 PM 10-15-2016

Luke25 06:03 PM 10-16-2016

Thank you! Those are great ideas!
daycare 06:51 PM 10-16-2016
Just sent you the email
Luke25 08:48 AM 10-17-2016
Just sent you the email
Got it! Thanks!
daycare 08:53 AM 10-17-2016
Originally Posted by Luke25:
Got it! Thanks!
my fire place is also brick. I saw that you mentioned having a brick fire place.
daycare 09:08 AM 10-17-2016
mine is also brick...i saw that you mentioned yours was as well.

I covered the bottom with a thin foam and then artificial grass.

not sure you can see the rest...
Luke25 09:30 AM 10-17-2016
mine is also brick...i saw that you mentioned yours was as well.

I covered the bottom with a thin foam and then artificial grass.

not sure you can see the rest...
Oh cool! I didn't see that at first! How do you have to foam secured?
daycare 09:35 AM 10-17-2016
Double sided gorilla glue tape. Had been holding up for 4 years. The fence was screwed into the motor inbetween the bricks. The white board is where we practice writing names.
Tags:fireplace
Reply Up