Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Allergies?
midaycare 05:38 AM 10-27-2016
I have 2 cats, 2 dogs, and live in the woods...so if you have allergies, in may be an issue in my care.

I have a dcg, age 5 months. I've had her for 2 months. For the past 3 weeks she has been really stuffy and mouth breathing. Dcd is allergic to cats.

Is there a possibility this is allergies?
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have 2 cats, 2 dogs, and live in the woods...so if you have allergies, in may be an issue in my care.

I have a dcg, age 5 months. I've had her for 2 months. For the past 3 weeks she has been really stuffy and mouth breathing. Dcd is allergic to cats.

Is there a possibility this is allergies?
Have the parents said anything?

I have families that have allergies to pets but I haven't had any babies that young with allergies, older kids but not babies.... I don't know if it's possible or not. You'd think it would be but maybe we just don't hear about it much since it seems most allergy diagnosis' happen after infancy...

I do have a 6 month old that is super stuffy and has been doing a lot of mouth breathing lately though....but i just chalked it up to the seasonal changes.... cooler temps etc.
midaycare 06:36 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Have the parents said anything?

I have families that have allergies to pets but I haven't had any babies that young with allergies, older kids but not babies.... I don't know if it's possible or not. You'd think it would be but maybe we just don't hear about it much since it seems most allergy diagnosis' happen after infancy...

I do have a 6 month old that is super stuffy and has been doing a lot of mouth breathing lately though....but i just chalked it up to the seasonal changes.... cooler temps etc.
Parents are wondering what's taking so long for this to clear up. Dcg has been to doctor. Doctor said teething. But...this is so not teething, in my experience.

I'm wondering if infants get allergies and how they appear...
jenboo 06:40 AM 10-27-2016
My own ds is a nasaly mouth breather. It started around 5 months. I asked the doc and she said unless he is snoring when he sleeps, it's most likely normal. Babies nasal passages and other things grow at different rates. She said it should get better as he continues to grow.
Second Home 06:40 AM 10-27-2016
Just because a parent is allergic to something does not put a child at a higher chance of being allergic . I asked this of our allergist as my DH is allergic to all tree nuts and bees .
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Just because a parent is allergic to something does not put a child at a higher chance of being allergic . I asked this of our allergist as my DH is allergic to all tree nuts and bees .
really? I did not know that.

I was always under the assumption that genetics played a big role in what allergies, if any a child had.

Interesting info.
finsup 08:46 AM 10-27-2016
My own, and dcb (13m) have allergies. My son started with a cough and runny nose that remained for a very long time starting in he spring. We tried allergy meds and it cleared up a ton. Dcb sees an actual allergist and he's allergic to cats, plus seasonal. His started out the same way but it's manageable. They did have to rehome their cat, and if I had had one dcb wouldn't have been able to come here.

But in both cases a runny nose, and cough that lingered when no one else was sick was the first sign. It's hard this time of year though, colds seem to hit back to back which could make it tricky to know for sure.
adnilwis 08:53 AM 10-27-2016
My seasonal allergies are horrible and my son had lots of runny noses/cold symptoms as an infant and I asked his pediatrician about possible allergies and she told me typically babies don't have allergies their first year.
midaycare 08:55 AM 10-27-2016
Great info everyone, thank you!
Baby Beluga 10:31 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
really? I did not know that.

I was always under the assumption that genetics played a big role in what allergies, if any a child had.

Interesting info.
Our allergist told us the specific allergens are not passed down from parent to child, but the likelihood of your child having allergies increases if the parents have allergies. For example, mom is allergic to strawberries and milk. Dad is allergic to egg and carrots. The child now has an increased risk of having their own set of individual allergens.
Ariana 06:42 AM 10-28-2016
A large number of infants are sensitive to dairy according to Dr. Sears. I had the issue with my own children so have done lots of research between dairy sensitivity (not necessarily a true allergy) and congestion. My own husband has asthma and it gets infinitely worse when he drinks dairy. Cheese has no effect but milk is really bad. My niece had issues but my sister wouldn't give up dairy while breastfeeding and now my niece has severe asthma.

I have mentioned this to many moms but most do not listen to me and cannot give up their dairy to even try as an experiment. As for allergists, I do not trust a single thing they say! I have been to a few and they were useless.
Reply Up