Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do you know about Sty?
daycare 08:57 AM 10-25-2016
everything I find is not what I am being told by the parents.

parent kept child home yesterday, said that child went to the doc on Saturday for eye pain/swelling and was told it was a sty, it was contagious and needed to be excluded from DC for a full 24 hours, was given eye drops and pills.

I have never known for a sty to be contagious or to require medication. the parent did walk in with some papers to show me, but another parent was here and we didn't get a chance to go over them, so I don't know what is going on.

the child looks like someone punched her in the eye, very swelled over, I have never seen one this bad before.

have any of you ever experienced anything like this with sty before? thanks
laundrymom 09:21 AM 10-25-2016
I've never heard of a stye being contagious. And my daughter had several.
Edits to add. The AAP says no.
daycarediva 09:26 AM 10-25-2016
Styes are not contagious.

The parent didn't leave the paperwork?
daycare 10:00 AM 10-25-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Styes are not contagious.

The parent didn't leave the paperwork?
this is a parent that has been GOLD for about 7 years with me, 2nd child. Never have had any issues with them. No, the parent didn't leave the papers for me. NOt too sure why.
daycare 10:01 AM 10-25-2016
I found this article but not too sure how creditable it is.
http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/styes.htm
Controlled Chaos 11:39 AM 10-25-2016
I have had stys and they were not contagious...

I'm curious what the paperwork will say. Maybe a sty in addition to an eye infection?
Blackcat31 12:48 PM 10-25-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
I found this article but not too sure how creditable it is.
http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/styes.htm
Given the info in that article, I'd just exclude until she is back to 100%.

The article says most heal fully within a couple days.
jenboo 01:29 PM 10-25-2016
Ive been told they are contagious. My friend had one that for infected and she needed medication for it.
Unregistered 03:37 PM 10-25-2016
I have never had a dck with a sty but I think it is a staph infection. I would exclude and have parents do the hot packs at home. That is usually the first thing tried. If the doc prescribed it may have been a worse one.
Cat Herder 03:55 PM 10-25-2016
It depends on the cause of the infected stye. If staph (commonly spread from digging in nose, then scratching stye site), yes they are contagious while it is weeping, itchy and open.

"Staph in the nose is caused by a strain of bacterium known as staphylococcus aureus. This is a common issue for all humans and research shows that nearly 30% of adults carry staph in their nose at all times. However, the presence of staph does not automatically mean an infection. The bacteria develop into an infection in only a portion of the population. Staph has the ability to survive hostile conditions, such as extreme temperatures, dry environments, and exposure to salt.

Staph can also trigger distant symptoms. These symptoms affect the skin and include pimples, impetigo, boils, abscesses, carbuncles, and cellulitis.

Staph eye infection can occur in one of several areas of the eye. A stye is a small yellow or white bump which generally occurs on the eyelid, while dacryocystitis refers to an infected tear duct. Bumps may also occur in either corner of the eye or even on the whites of the eyeball itself. Blisters, called blebs, may also form when the eye is either injured or after surgery. "
Ariana 06:20 PM 10-25-2016
Totally depends on the infection type. I would exclude until 48 hours after dose of antibiotics....i assume she is taking antibiotics.
daycare 06:32 AM 10-26-2016
Thanks for all the feed back. I ended up sending dck home because the eye was running fluid. Poor kid.

Told dcm if any fluid comes from the eye kid has to stay home. Hopefully it gets better soon, the child looks horrible.
Reply Up