Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Croup
Unregistered 03:44 PM 07-09-2013
I have a child who was diagnosed with croup today. Now, the family wants to bring their child back to care. In my contract it states that any child with a contagious illness has to bring a doc's note saying that they are no longer contagious and any sibling has to stay home to help stop the spread of a contagious illness. I told Mom this, now I have dad contacting me saying that she said I'm not open tomorrow and he wanted to check that. (they live together!) I'm not sure what to do. Do you allow a child that has croup come to care? I just told Dad that once the child has a doc note stating that the child is not contagious they can come back and yes I was open.

Now, I only have this 1 family and my own children. 3 weeks ago this same child had a high fever which broke out into a rash and was out for 2 days plus sent home that next Mon because of the rash that broke out and I had no idea what it was. Last week my own child had croup and was hospitalized. Then the sibling had a high fever for 2 days and didn't come at all last week and now the child is sick again and this time with croup. I don't want to lose this family but I don't want my own children sick again.

I'm not sure what to do.
daycare 03:49 PM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a child who was diagnosed with croup today. Now, the family wants to bring their child back to care. In my contract it states that any child with a contagious illness has to bring a doc's note saying that they are no longer contagious and any sibling has to stay home to help stop the spread of a contagious illness. I told Mom this, now I have dad contacting me saying that she said I'm not open tomorrow and he wanted to check that. (they live together!) I'm not sure what to do. Do you allow a child that has croup come to care? I just told Dad that once the child has a doc note stating that the child is not contagious they can come back and yes I was open.

Now, I only have this 1 family and my own children. 3 weeks ago this same child had a high fever which broke out into a rash and was out for 2 days plus sent home that next Mon because of the rash that broke out and I had no idea what it was. Last week my own child had croup and was hospitalized. Then the sibling had a high fever for 2 days and didn't come at all last week and now the child is sick again and this time with croup. I don't want to lose this family but I don't want my own children sick again.

I'm not sure what to do.
its not your fault the child is sick......children get sick it will happen, nothing we can do to control that.

Stick to your rules and do not let the child come back. Last think you want is to come down with it or get others sick.....

I have issues with parents too, but rules are rules....
Unregistered 04:14 PM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
its not your fault the child is sick......children get sick it will happen, nothing we can do to control that.

Stick to your rules and do not let the child come back. Last think you want is to come down with it or get others sick.....

I have issues with parents too, but rules are rules....
I had to call the dad and he's more upset that in 2 weeks they are paying for care when neither of their children are attending because they keep passing it back and forth to each other and he wants to send the sibling that's not sick. I told him I have to stick to my contract as I have my own child who hasn't been sick and I would like it not to be brought back into my home until the child is cleared not contagious. He doesn't understand why the one child can't come back so they can have them separated so the one child can get better.

I have it in my contract for a reason. I have to protect my own kids from highly contagious illnesses. I have a feeling I'll be losing them soon and I've had them for 3 yrs! I have to look out for my family. I feel really bad and sick to my stomach as I love those kids.
daycare 04:20 PM 07-09-2013
I had to call the dad and he's more upset that in 2 weeks they are paying for care when neither of their children are attending because they keep passing it back and forth to each other and he wants to send the sibling that's not sick. I told him I have to stick to my contract as I have my own child who hasn't been sick and I would like it not to be brought back into my home until the child is cleared not contagious. He doesn't understand why the one child can't come back so they can have them separated so the one child can get better.

I have it in my contract for a reason. I have to protect my own kids from highly contagious illnesses. I have a feeling I'll be losing them soon and I've had them for 3 yrs! I have to look out for my family. I feel really bad and sick to my stomach as I love those kids.
I guess I can see both sides....... I used to have that in my policy as well in regards to siblings but I have found out that often siblings don't always get what the other has. Sometimes it is very hard on the parent to care for the sick child and the well child at the same time.

As long as the well child has no symptoms, I would allow for them to come back
Familycare71 05:14 PM 07-09-2013
I also don't exclude unless the child is actually ill- I would take the healthy sibling. There are just no garuntees about illness... If you went to the groc store with your children they were exposed to a bunch of things...
Personally I would stick with the child with croup staying home but allow the other child to attend.
Unregistered 05:29 PM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by Christie71:
I also don't exclude unless the child is actually ill- I would take the healthy sibling. There are just no garuntees about illness... If you went to the groc store with your children they were exposed to a bunch of things...
Personally I would stick with the child with croup staying home but allow the other child to attend.
I did call back and told them that the sibling could come.
Cradle2crayons 06:15 PM 07-09-2013
I agree with pp.

I don't exclude healthy siblings ever.

As far as the croup is concerned, as long as the child is fever free and can resume activities they should be ok by a doc as not contagious and can come back to care. Likely the cough itself will hang around for a while. Chances are your kids are already exposed again as e child was there wi a fever before the croup itself started.

I would exclude until they have been fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing agents....IF the child feels well enough to participate in care.
Familycare71 07:04 PM 07-09-2013
Good for you- and hopefully they will keep kids with you! It is so hard for parents when the kids are sick a lot but they have to understand its hard on our side too... Well- I guess they DON'T HAVE TO UNDERSTAND!
Unregistered 04:23 AM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I agree with pp.

I don't exclude healthy siblings ever.

As far as the croup is concerned, as long as the child is fever free and can resume activities they should be ok by a doc as not contagious and can come back to care. Likely the cough itself will hang around for a while. Chances are your kids are already exposed again as e child was there wi a fever before the croup itself started.

I would exclude until they have been fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing agents....IF the child feels well enough to participate in care.
The doc said child could be contagious for another 4 days! Croup also put my own child in the hospital last week for 4 days so I'm not taking any more chances. I'm going to stick to my contract and state a doc note needs to come for the child to come back.
Unregistered 04:39 AM 07-10-2013
Good for you- and hopefully they will keep kids with you! It is so hard for parents when the kids are sick a lot but they have to understand its hard on our side too... Well- I guess they DON'T HAVE TO UNDERSTAND!
Nope, it's only about that they pay for a service. They don't understand that it's the illness coming back to my house and could get another one of my children sick or me and my older child hasn't been exposed because he wasn't home for the past couple of weeks. Which would result me in closing again This is the hard part of having a daycare in my own home.
Jewels 05:30 AM 07-10-2013
My own son used to get croup with every single cold, my pediatrician has always told me The "croup " itself is not contagious, its the virus that caused the croup which is contagious, and its just a cold, some kids bodies just turn it to croup, my son when he was 6 months old got a cold and then croup, and ever since he got it once, he got it every time, in my daycare with children here, no one else ever caught his croup, but they would all get a cold, I do have another boy now who gets croup, and as long as he is fever free, he can come, the cough sticks around for a while, I still worked the first year and a half my son was a baby and when he came down with croup once I kept him home for the 3 days he was pretty bad, but he was fever free, and the doc said he could resume daycare, but my provider said not until all symptoms were gone, I understand he still sounds bad, but he usually has the cough for 2 weeks, I could not take 2 weeks off of work, so that was his last day, it was mainly the last day because I felt she was grossed out by my son, and just didn't want him around her kids at all, since he was her only daycare child. But anywaybecause really its all its I treat croup just like I treat a cold, because really its all it is.
Unregistered 06:00 AM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by Jewels:
My own son used to get croup with every single cold, my pediatrician has always told me The "croup " itself is not contagious, its the virus that caused the croup which is contagious, and its just a cold, some kids bodies just turn it to croup, my son when he was 6 months old got a cold and then croup, and ever since he got it once, he got it every time, in my daycare with children here, no one else ever caught his croup, but they would all get a cold, I do have another boy now who gets croup, and as long as he is fever free, he can come, the cough sticks around for a while, I still worked the first year and a half my son was a baby and when he came down with croup once I kept him home for the 3 days he was pretty bad, but he was fever free, and the doc said he could resume daycare, but my provider said not until all symptoms were gone, I understand he still sounds bad, but he usually has the cough for 2 weeks, I could not take 2 weeks off of work, so that was his last day, it was mainly the last day because I felt she was grossed out by my son, and just didn't want him around her kids at all, since he was her only daycare child. But anywaybecause really its all its I treat croup just like I treat a cold, because really its all it is.
I can see it from both sides. But my younger son will get hospitalized if he gets it again. So, I have to protect my family. I talked to my doc and she said that a child with croup can be contagious and spread it to others. This child's doc even said that he could be contagious for another 4 days... yeah I'm not taking any chances. To each there own and that's why everyone runs their daycare's different.
Cradle2crayons 06:10 AM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by Jewels:
In some respects you are right... Except one very important thing... Although some kids are more predisposed to croup than others, the virus that typically causes croup is NOT usually the common cold.

Generally croup is caused by parainfluenza, RSV, and sometimes adenovirus. It's not generally just from a common cold. The common cold is generally from rhinovirus or corona virus. Two very different viruses than RSV and parainfluenza. RSV and parainfluenza are also generally much more harsh than the viruses that cause the common cold. And for kids with underlying allergies or reactive airway problems, the two most common croup viruses can be deadly.

most kids who have RSV or parainfluenza generally only show signs of a common cold and don't get the swelling of the airway that signifies croup.

My daughter had croup tons of times, usually to the point of retractions and blue lips. Because she has asthma, every bout of croup was serious and potentially deadly.

However, the important part of my rambling is that infectious-wise, the viruses that cause croup and the common cold should be treated exactly the same. They are contagious as long as there is a fever. The danger is generally over with croup when the fever and barking itself is gone. The cough may linger for a while with both and shouldn't itself be a reason for exclusion any more than the common cold should be.

Both generally start with a clear runny nose and progress from there.

Important though, most true croup symptoms, especially in children with breathing problems historically, is that sometimes the airway swelling needs treated with steroids, breathing treatments, and even antibiotics if bacterial croup is suspected.
Familycare71 06:21 AM 07-10-2013
My boys had asthma and my one would get hospitalized with croup... Yes- croup can manifest itself as a cold in SOME children- in others it is very serious. My Pediatrician always recommend that as long as the bark is still present and a freq cough to exclude.
I completely agree and understand keeping the croupy child home- fever or not- breathing is important!
Unregistered 06:21 AM 07-10-2013
In some respects you are right... Except one very important thing... Although some kids are more predisposed to croup than others, the virus that typically causes croup is NOT usually the common cold.

Generally croup is caused by parainfluenza, RSV, and sometimes adenovirus. It's not generally just from a common cold. The common cold is generally from rhinovirus or corona virus. Two very different viruses than RSV and parainfluenza. RSV and parainfluenza are also generally much more harsh than the viruses that cause the common cold. And for kids with underlying allergies or reactive airway problems, the two most common croup viruses can be deadly.

most kids who have RSV or parainfluenza generally only show signs of a common cold and don't get the swelling of the airway that signifies croup.

My daughter had croup tons of times, usually to the point of retractions and blue lips. Because she has asthma, every bout of croup was serious and potentially deadly.

However, the important part of my rambling is that infectious-wise, the viruses that cause croup and the common cold should be treated exactly the same. They are contagious as long as there is a fever. The danger is generally over with croup when the fever and barking itself is gone. The cough may linger for a while with both and shouldn't itself be a reason for exclusion any more than the common cold should be.

Both generally start with a clear runny nose and progress from there.

Important though, most true croup symptoms, especially in children with breathing problems historically, is that sometimes the airway swelling needs treated with steroids, breathing treatments, and even antibiotics if bacterial croup is suspected.
Yes, this is why I have the contagious rule that if a child is contagious they can not return until they are cleared by a doc. My son has asthma and allergies and was in ER last week with croup because of respiratory distress. This is why I was concerned about the sibling coming because the child's sibling has not had it and they seem to share everything each other gets. I allowed the sibling to come today and the child is now coughing after being told that the child was 100% fine. So, looks like my family has been exposed again! I shouldn't have ever gone against my contact.
Unregistered 06:25 AM 07-10-2013
My boys had asthma and my one would get hospitalized with croup... Yes- croup can manifest itself as a cold in SOME children- in others it is very serious. My Pediatrician always recommend that as long as the bark is still present and a freq cough to exclude.
I completely agree and understand keeping the croupy child home- fever or not- breathing is important!
Yes, breathing is important My son is the child that ends up in ER because it causes his air way to become restricted and causes respiratory distress and now I allowed the sibling to come being told the child was fine and the child is now coughing I'm not sure what to do as the parents are already upset that both kids have been sick for 2 weeks and they are having to pay for care when their children can't attend.
Familycare71 06:32 AM 07-10-2013
Yes, breathing is important My son is the child that ends up in ER because it causes his air way to become restricted and causes respiratory distress and now I allowed the sibling to come being told the child was fine and the child is now coughing I'm not sure what to do as the parents are already upset that both kids have been sick for 2 weeks and they are having to pay for care when their children can't attend.
Ugh!!! It feels like a never ending battle and one we can never win- I completely understand your concern!! I HOPE the other sibling just has a cold... I know slim chance!
My child that got croup numerous times per year and always had to go on steroids (best case) and Er (worst case) had his first croup free year last winter... He is 15!!!!! Crazy- the memories I have of those croup night still freak me out. No one really understands fully I don't think until they experience the fear that comes while your child is trying to get air and can't adequately...
How bad is it if you lose this family?? I guess you have to do what what your gut says...
So sorry your dealing with this!
Cradle2crayons 08:08 AM 07-10-2013
It wouldn't have mattered because your kids had already been re exposed.
Take a deep breath. Just as we explain to parents, sometimes kids can carry virises and never even come down with it while spreading it around.

Whether the sibling had come or not wouldn't have changed anything and you know that.

Hugs, when the sibling meets exclusion send them home, it's e only thing you can do but it won't prevent anything.
Unregistered 08:59 AM 07-10-2013
It wouldn't have mattered because your kids had already been re exposed.
Take a deep breath. Just as we explain to parents, sometimes kids can carry virises and never even come down with it while spreading it around.

Whether the sibling had come or not wouldn't have changed anything and you know that.

Hugs, when the sibling meets exclusion send them home, it's e only thing you can do but it won't prevent anything.
Well my older son wasn't exposed to it. My older son was gone for these past 3 weeks so by the time he came home this weekend no one was contagious at my house. That's what I was trying to avoid. It's done and over with the child is here coughing and all. So, what's done it is done. I just hope he doesn't get it.
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 07-10-2013
One of the biggest issues I see with this whole situation is that these parents supposedly read your contract (where it states they must keep siblings home and about paying regardless of absences) and yet they are still trying to negotiate with you about this agreement?

THAT is the part I would be upset about.

I personally don't exclude non symptom showing siblings from care (for many of the reason's previous posters mentioned) but whether you decide to amend or change your policies is up to you...

It just ruffles my feathers when a parent agrees to something and then tries to negotiate it when it doesn't work for them.
Unregistered 10:08 AM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
One of the biggest issues I see with this whole situation is that these parents supposedly read your contract (where it states they must keep siblings home and about paying regardless of absences) and yet they are still trying to negotiate with you about this agreement?

THAT is the part I would be upset about.

I personally don't exclude non symptom showing siblings from care (for many of the reason's previous posters mentioned) but whether you decide to amend or change your policies is up to you...

It just ruffles my feathers when a parent agrees to something and then tries to negotiate it when it doesn't work for them.
That's what upset me the most, too. I have that in my contract for a reason. My group is tiny and it's in my own home so I added it in my new contract that anything that's Highly Contagious they must come back with a doc's note and the sibling must stay home to try and stop the spread of the illness... I'm not worried about the common cold, allergies just the Highly Contagious stuff (croup, chicken pox..etc). Now because the siblings have been going back and forth for 2 weeks now with different illness and they are paying me and they aren't allowed to come the parents are getting upset. So, I gave in.. which I know is a backbone issue but it made me upset.. plus the dad told me that he knows its in my contract but they have no one else to watch the children to separate them so both can get better.
Cradle2crayons 11:04 AM 07-10-2013
That's what upset me the most, too. I have that in my contract for a reason. My group is tiny and it's in my own home so I added it in my new contract that anything that's Highly Contagious they must come back with a doc's note and the sibling must stay home to try and stop the spread of the illness... I'm not worried about the common cold, allergies just the Highly Contagious stuff (croup, chicken pox..etc). Now because the siblings have been going back and forth for 2 weeks now with different illness and they are paying me and they aren't allowed to come the parents are getting upset. So, I gave in.. which I know is a backbone issue but it made me upset.. plus the dad told me that he knows its in my contract but they have no one else to watch the children to separate them so both can get better.
Just remember, croup is no more highly contagious than a cold. It's just a virus that turns into croup in some kids and not the others.

I know yu are frustrated. Up the kids vitamin c...we usually buy several bags of cuties and let the kids eat as many as possible. It really helps. Some swear by that airborne stuff too
Reply Up