Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Caterpillar Crafts?
Sunshine44 05:10 AM 05-25-2011
Hi, I was hoping some of you may have some caterpillar craft ideas for toddlers/preschoolers? I've found a couple of things online, but a lot of it was print, cut and paste stuff. I was looking for more painting or unique ideas. Thanks in advance.
dEHmom 06:56 AM 05-25-2011

hi sunshine

not sure if this is what you would like to do but an easy caterpillar craft is

cut an egg carton (doesn't matter if it's styrofoam or the paper kind) into a strip of cups however long you want. so basically, you'd could take a whole 12 egg carton, cut it longways down the middle to get ^^^^ that sort of shape.

then let the kids decorate it with crayons, markers, paint or whatever else.

using pipe cleaners you could make antennae and legs, or they can glue strips of paper if you like. you can make it as easy or as difficult as you like. just google egg carton caterpillars and you will find lots of examples
melskids 07:29 AM 05-25-2011
i love the grass one!!! so cute!

we've used balloons partially blown up to "stamp" circles to look like caterpillars.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 05-25-2011
We did a refridgerator magnet project last year where we glued different colored pom-poms to a large popsicle stick, added wiggly eyes and antennae and then we added a strip of magnetic tape to the back. Simple, easy and cute.
dEHmom 07:44 AM 05-25-2011
in addition to the egg carton caterpillars...
my daughter in kindergarten made an egg carton caterpillar, and then they cut out big wings out of construction paper and glued the caterpillar onto it. the wings have to be 1 solid piece though to glue the caterpillar onto it, or you could staple 2 wings onto it, or however you wanted to do it.

it hung on our wall for a long time. eventually though the glue seemed to let go off the paper, maybe the egg carton was too heavy? it lasted about 2 years before it let go.
sharlan 09:10 AM 05-25-2011
Neat ideas. We'll be making those.
SD DaycareMOM 04:18 PM 05-26-2011
Lots of great ideas! Can't get the photo to post, but we did a cute one last summer where I pre-cut leaf shapes from green construction paper/cardstock and then the kids used a hole punch at the edge of their "leaf" to make caterpillar bite marks. Then, we twisted two colors of pipe-cleaners/chenile stems together and formed it into a bumped up caterpillar shape, added wiggle eyes, and glued it to the leaf (glue dots work really well here). No painting, but the hole-punch and twisting were fun and also great fine motor practice.
Tags:caterpillar
Reply Up