Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do Children Stop Believing?
PitterPatter 08:34 AM 04-16-2011
All of the DCKs I have had believed in Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy. At what age do children stop believing? Do u tell your own kids that they don't exist or allow them find out on their own? I would never tell a dck they don't exixt but I was having mixed feelings about my own son. My dcks have always been under 10, usually toddlers and preschoolers. My own son is 9 and still believes. I am getting ready for Easter and told the kids the Easter Bunny will be bringing them baskets of goodies and hiding eggs in the yard on Friday for them to find.

I haven't had a problem with parents or anything, they enjoy the fun and gifts I give during holidays. But I was just thinking about something that happened last Christmas with my own son. I had a friend tell me last Christmas that it was time to tell my son (then 8 yrs old) the truth that he was too old to believe in Santa. I took offense to that because I don't see any harm in letting them believe as long as they can. It's going to be hard enough to explain when he does find out but why destroy his joy just because he's 9 now. IMHO Santa is real in the aspect of he is a spirit of Christmas, bringing joy and pleasure to kids of all ages. In my home I also make sure my son knows the real reason for Christmas but does his belief in Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny really have to stop because he's 9?

I don't think I will be telling him anytime soon but I just wanted to get your thoughts and experiences on this topic.
daycare 08:49 AM 04-16-2011
Have you ever read the book polar express? I love this book. I would never tell any child that our celebrated Santa , EB, toothfairy and etc are not real.
They are as real for all who truly believe they are.
Besides I love the hype and efficient of them all.
PitterPatter 08:59 AM 04-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Have you ever read the book polar express? I love this book. I would never tell any child that our celebrated Santa , EB, toothfairy and etc are not real.
They are as real for all who truly believe they are.
Besides I love the hype and efficient of them all.
Yes we have the book and the movie. The book we haven't read since December but the movie we just watched again 2 weeks ago. In this house that movie has become as popular as A Christmas Story!
MsMe 10:38 AM 04-16-2011
I have much younger brothers. I am 27 they are 17 and 13. This past Christmas was the first at our house in 27 years that there was no Santa. It was really hard on my Mom. I hope I have children soon so the magic of Christmas can come back
Kaddidle Care 10:45 AM 04-16-2011
My son will be 10 soon and I think he is questioning but is afraid to say because he thinks he won't get anything. My oldest son was 10 when we told him but he had pretty much figured it out by then.

The worst part is the older they get, the more they get teased and told otherwise by the kids on the bus. Part of the "knowing" is being able to hold the secret so you don't spoil it for others.
AfterSchoolMom 11:27 AM 04-16-2011
It's happening with my older son in stages. He's pretty much done with the EB, and he's questioning Santa. However, from what I can tell he still believes in the Tooth Fairy. I'm never going to initiate that conversation. He can come to me himself when he's ready, and then I'll involve him in helping keep the magic alive for his younger sibling.
daysofelijah 11:43 AM 04-16-2011
My kids have always been told that Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy are just for fun and really just mom and dad. They are not supposed to tell the dckids though. It hasn't been a problem.

As far as age I have no idea. My parents always told us they were not real too. I remember telling my cousin when we were about 7 that Santa wasn't real and got in really big trouble with my aunt!
Michael 12:37 PM 04-16-2011
We had a similar post on Santa: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24411
Meeko 04:15 PM 04-16-2011
I still believe...i can still hear the bell ring..........
Abigail 04:42 PM 04-16-2011
I always believed until first grade or so because our neighbor would dress up as Santa and my mom gave him presents to bring to our house and that was the year I recognized his face and voice. Great costume, I was just able to figure it out. I still believed in the joys because my mom made it fun to believe and we still til this day have a few gifts we give each other labeled "From: Santa"

I wouldn't tell him unless he comes to you asking. If he asks, ask why he is asking. If you don't tell him the truth when he honestly asked how is he ever going to trust you on anything? Kwim?
PitterPatter 05:27 PM 04-16-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I always believed until first grade or so because our neighbor would dress up as Santa and my mom gave him presents to bring to our house and that was the year I recognized his face and voice. Great costume, I was just able to figure it out. I still believed in the joys because my mom made it fun to believe and we still til this day have a few gifts we give each other labeled "From: Santa"

I wouldn't tell him unless he comes to you asking. If he asks, ask why he is asking. If you don't tell him the truth when he honestly asked how is he ever going to trust you on anything? Kwim?
Oh yeah if he asks I will def tell but he never asks. I never lie to him about anything that's why now our beloved mythical characters are starting to make me wonder. I think he will understand that I wasn't just lying to him when it does come out though. He knows he can trust me and count on me for anything. I think/hope that will be very important come his teenage years.

At Christmas when I want to give an extra special gift that a person don't want anyone to spend the money on, I mark those from Santa. Like this past year Santa bought my Mother an entertainment center. She came downstairs and found it sitting in her hallway. She was so excited she assembled it herself before anyone even arrived.
Tags:easter, santa not, tooth fairy
Reply Up