Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help, Would You Send Him Home????
tenderhearts 09:38 AM 01-10-2011
My 11 mo. old dcb was sick last week (mon) , throwing up and diahrea. He came back friday and had a blow out once. So he's back today and he's had 2 major blow outs, within an hour of each other, he is cutting a tooth but do they have that loose of stool when teething???? I just don't know if I should send him home or not.....
lvt77 09:41 AM 01-10-2011
My rule is if a child has more than two runny diapers in a hour..home they go...we cant assume that it is teething...what if it is a virius??

Also the child can become very dehydrated having diahrea....
tenderhearts 09:42 AM 01-10-2011
So if he has one more???? Then call?
Here's the thing, on friday she said the last 2 days he acted totally fine, well even on friday he didnt' seem "himself" then he had the massive blow out but only 1. Today she said he was fine all weekend, well he's had the 2 blow outs now with in an hour
SilverSabre25 09:42 AM 01-10-2011
Loose stool from teething, yes, but *that much*? No, I'd say probably not. I would send him home, probably. Poor thing.
tenderhearts 10:05 AM 01-10-2011
I called mom and she hasn't called back yet but he wont let me put him down at all for the last 45 min, he screams, he's normally not like this, he is cutting his first molar but I just have never had a child be this fussy with cutting a tooth or this much diarrhea. But then I feel bad if she has to pick him up again.
momma2girls 10:09 AM 01-10-2011
Babies can have loose stools from teething, but how do we know what it is? I would definately send home. More than likely it is a virus. There are many things going around right now.
laundrymom 10:10 AM 01-10-2011
Id call her back,.. once per 30 minutes until you got her, let her know he hasnt stopped crying, that his diapers havebeen blowouts, that he needs to go home.

Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I called mom and she hasn't called back yet but he wont let me put him down at all for the last 45 min, he screams, he's normally not like this, he is cutting his first molar but I just have never had a child be this fussy with cutting a tooth or this much diarrhea. But then I feel bad if she has to pick him up again.

lvt77 10:12 AM 01-10-2011
I give parents 20 minutes to respond to my voicemail, emails and text..I do all 3 if I don't hear back I start going down the list of other people that can pick the child up. They then have one hour after contact to come pick up the child...
momma2girls 10:15 AM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Id call her back,.. once per 30 minutes until you got her, let her know he hasnt stopped crying, that his diapers havebeen blowouts, that he needs to go home.
I probably would call every 15-20 min. both parents a couple of times, then start down their list!
lvt77 10:23 AM 01-10-2011
also after one hour if they dont pick up I start charging a sick fee of $1.00 per min.... Last yr I did not have this rule and even though I called to have the child picked up the parents did not show up until an hour before closing.....
KEG123 11:18 AM 01-10-2011
I think this is one of those things that you have to use your judgement. If you know his poos are normally not than consistancy, you have the right to treat this as an illness and require his diapers be normal before coming back... on the other hand, if you really believe he is just teething (and want to clean up possibly more blow outs) than keep him. I know I'd be calling mom.
tenderhearts 11:44 AM 01-10-2011
Well mom called back about 30 min later which I knew she would I had no doubts she wouldn't call me back asap and we talked, she seemed baffled too, so since I have only 1 child today I told her this time I was willing too see what it was, teething or a virus, so she came and brought tylenol right away and she said if he pooped like that again to call her. She called his pediatrician on her way here and asked them about it and they said he is not contagious that they should have been feeding him a very bland diet since he was sick last week and his system just needed to be weened back into normal foods. SO it's been an hour since he had the tylenol and now he seems happy and normal. She had me feed him a bland lunch so we'll see I guess. Teething or virus.......guessing game. She understands and knows normally he'd need to be sent home though and that makes me feel better about doing this.
tenderhearts 03:35 PM 01-10-2011
Ok so this afternoon, I put him down for nap and again he did not fall asleep, he wasn't crying, just whining, but after an hour he had diarrhea again but no alot, so that's 3 today. I'm confused as to what is an "illness" or how many or if it's just teething, or what. She said the doctor said he was not contagious anymore and that he could have this for a little bit. She's willing to stay home with him tomorrow but I don't want someone to stay home if it's nothing....I also don't want a virus going around. Anyone know more about diarrhea? I've looked up stuff but it doesn't really say how many is considered too much to be considered sick, but it does say diarrhea is highly contagious if it is a virus.
kidkair 03:41 PM 01-10-2011
I don't know about how contagious it might be. I'd believe the doctor that he's just still recovering. That said I'd still suggest he stays home tomorrow so that he can recoup at home. Even if he's not sick in any other way, diarrhea is a pain to have and requires more fluids. He might as well recover at home where he feels more comfortable and has mom close by.
lvt77 03:48 PM 01-10-2011
I would just abide by your contract policy.....if it says they cant attend for diarrhea then they cant attend
GretasLittleFriends 04:31 PM 01-10-2011
The Norovirus has been going around here, and that is not fun! My 15yr old and 6 yr old both ended up with it. YUK!! If he was sick last week, he may still not be 100% from it. From what I've seen the diarrhea lingers longer than the pukes.

Originally Posted by kidkair:
I don't know about how contagious it might be. I'd believe the doctor that he's just still recovering. That said I'd still suggest he stays home tomorrow so that he can recoup at home. Even if he's not sick in any other way, diarrhea is a pain to have and requires more fluids. He might as well recover at home where he feels more comfortable and has mom close by.
And you won't have to be the one constantly changing yukky diapers...

Originally Posted by lvt77:
also after one hour if they dont pick up I start charging a sick fee of $1.00 per min.... Last yr I did not have this rule and even though I called to have the child picked up the parents did not show up until an hour before closing.....
I wish I had this policy a year ago. I could have made $180+ one day. I had a mom drop off her children and the oldest threw up in my entry room. Mom cleaned up the mess, and I told her that child could not stay. Mom said she was going to tell dad (who was waiting in the car) that oldest cannot stay. She got in the car and left. I was LIVID, as this was the night of my DD's band concert. It took me over 3 hours to get a hold of someone on their emergency list to come pick up the children, as the parents were blatantly avoiding my calls. Needless to say when the grandparents came to pick up the children I had a copy of the termination letter in hand to give to the parents. I of course mailed (certified) a copy to them too.
Keri'sKids 07:27 PM 01-10-2011
Here in CA there is a health dept law that says no more than 3 in one day and they must be sent home and cannot return until it has cleared up. However if it is not contained in the diaper then they must go home immediately. This is whether the child is contagious or not. Are you sure mom really called the dr. It doesn't sound like she did as they would have wanted to see him. Also, I do not believe for one minute he was fine over the weekend. No way!
lvt77 07:35 PM 01-10-2011
hi there I am in CA too and would love to know where I can fing the information that expalins that it is a health dept law....I had this issue with some parents and they faught me on this tooth and nail.....I would love to ad this in my PHB
thanks
Tags:diarrhea, send home, sick, sick policy
Reply Up