Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Similar Question About Dc/Family Food
mrsp'slilpeeps 12:33 PM 05-14-2012
Almost similar of the OP question, But how much money do you spend a month on dc food/family food?

I am asking because I shop twice a month for food for both my family and dc.

I find that the DCK's eat me out of house and home and then there is nothing left for my family.

And i swear that the food for dc cost more than I get paid to watch them sometimes, then i end up having to throw most of it out. Food that my family would happily eat.

So do you take half the payment for each kid and use that for food?

Please help me figure this out!
itlw8 12:42 PM 05-14-2012
1/2 of what you charge goes to food ?? If this is true you either charge way to little or are feeding very fancy food.

To cut costs use less convience foods. you can cook chicken breast far cheaper that chicken nuggets and it is better for you

Put less on their plates and serve seconds when they eat it.then you have less food waste.
SilverSabre25 02:29 PM 05-14-2012
I have a family of 5 right now (three adults, one 4 year old, one baby eating a respectable amount of table food) and 3 dcks who eat. We spend about $150/week on food for everyone and this includes paper towels, toilet paper, and other household things (cleaning supplies, soap, shampoo, conditioner, other toiletries, etc). This also includes gluten-free and dairy free items, to varying extents.

I cook a lot from scratch.
I give the dcks very little and give seconds if needed.
They have to eat a reasonable amount of everything before they get seconds of anything.
Rarely have seconds of fruit
Rarely have seconds of snack
I cook enough for family dinners that we have leftovers for daycare lunches.
I only serve milk and water (and honestly milk is RARE here, no food prog)
Countrygal 03:04 PM 05-14-2012
I also serve small portions and have seconds available. I was throwing out WAY too much food! This way I'm only throwing out a 1/4 cup of, say, a casserole instead of a cup of it! Or one carrot stick instead of four. They can always have seconds or even thirds if needed. Another option is to serve family style, but I don't like that idea myself. I'd have more food spilled than on the table!
countrymom 06:15 AM 05-15-2012
I spend about 150 dollars a week too (sometimes more or less) I serve less food to my dck's because they can always have more. I also don't serve milk anymore, because I was dumping so much down the drain it was crazy. I do know that my kids all love yogurt and cheese. My own family has 6 of us (4 kids) and sometimes I have have kids that stay a bit later and eat dinner with us. Post what you make for kids for lunch, also most kids eat less than half a cup of stuff so maybe your giving them too much.
Reply Up