Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas...
jen 09:25 AM 03-07-2011
Here's the story...

When my ds goes to visit his Dad, he ends up throwing up there or shortly after he gets home up to 40-50% of the time. He doesn't spend a ton of time at his Dad's, however, recently, he has been seeing him every other weekend.

My ex used to live with his mother, and I thought the vomiting was from something in the home, it's kind of musty there and his clothes always smelled like grease and must when he got home; kind of made we want to barf too.

He didn't keep our son overnight for about two years, but has recently decided he would like to do that...my ex is living with my next-door neighbor (yes, you read that correctly) and my son is back to throwing up again!

What in the WORLD!? He will over-eat and throw up if its something he really likes; he definitely has an active gag reflex...but they (my son and his Dad) assure me that he isn't over-eating. I do know that they allow him to stay up WAY too late. I have read text on my sons phone after the lasts two visits where my ex texted him to settle down and the time stamp was after 2am. Yes, you read that correctly too, they parent by text when in the same house.
Cat Herder 09:34 AM 03-07-2011
Could it be from nerves associated with anxiety??

Does your son like/want to go??
jen 09:39 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Could it be from nerves associated with anxiety??

Does your son like/want to go??
I thought about that too, but he really seems to like going there! Especially when he would go to Grandmas. He knows he never HAS to go, he can always stay home. In the beginning he was afraid to spend the night so he'd just come home at 10 or so...

Have you ever heard a kid throwing up from being over-tired? I know they smoke, but not in front of the kids and not in the house. Smoke allergy?
MyAngels 09:43 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I thought about that too, but he really seems to like going there! Especially when he would go to Grandmas. He knows he never HAS to go, he can always stay home. In the beginning he was afraid to spend the night so he'd just come home at 10 or so...

Have you ever heard a kid throwing up from being over-tired? I know they smoke, but not in front of the kids and not in the house. Smoke allergy?
My youngest used to throw up when he was over excited about something - the very first travel team tryout, the first time he got to go hunting with "the guys," etc. He did eventually outgrow it, thank goodness.
jen 09:57 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
My youngest used to throw up when he was over excited about something - the very first travel team tryout, the first time he got to go hunting with "the guys," etc. He did eventually outgrow it, thank goodness.
LOL...my oldest used to puke every time he went in to a public bathroom that wasn't quite up to his standards! LOL! He outgrew that too!
sahm2three 10:12 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by jen:

One of my best friends sons BOTH will throw up if they are over tired! My ds will if he has been at my moms house where he is able to eat anything he wants. I limit junk food and really don't have much in the house. DS goes to my moms house and eats chips, ice cream, popcorn, candy, all kinds of junk. He almost always ends up not feeling well. I have tried to talk to my mom about it, but she just loves giving him snacks! UGH!
jen 10:36 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
One of my best friends sons BOTH will throw up if they are over tired! My ds will if he has been at my moms house where he is able to eat anything he wants. I limit junk food and really don't have much in the house. DS goes to my moms house and eats chips, ice cream, popcorn, candy, all kinds of junk. He almost always ends up not feeling well. I have tried to talk to my mom about it, but she just loves giving him snacks! UGH!
I wonder if its the over tired thing...that seems to be the biggest differences between our homes. I make him go to bed, weekend or not. Hmmm....

Thanks, that definitely gives me something to start with.
Cat Herder 01:26 PM 03-07-2011
Yes, being over tired can cause N/V, but so can smoke, cologne, burnt incense, strong fabric softeners, powdered carpet "fresheners", (my kids used to come home with weird bumpy rashes just on the soles of their feet, that was the culprit ) food dyes, etc....

Anything that can trigger a migraine can trigger vomiting...it is a similair receptor in the brain.

I assume since he is only next door (ugh, I am so sorry, that must be really difficult) it probably is not car sickness/vertigo. No water bed?
jen 01:29 PM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Yes, being over tired can cause N/V, but so can smoke, cologne, burnt incense, strong fabric softeners, powdered carpet "fresheners", (my kids used to come home with weird bumpy rashes just on the soles of their feet, that was the culprit ) food dyes, etc....

Anything that can trigger a migraine can trigger vomiting...it is a similair receptor in the brain.

I assume since he is only next door (ugh, I am so sorry, that must be really difficult) it probably is not car sickness/vertigo. No water bed?
Thanks and you have NO idea! LOL! Whatever it is, it has to be something about his care as opposed to household thing, since it happens at Grandma's and at the neighbors. I don't think my ex wears cologne...he usually smells like smoke...which is why I thought it could be that.

Maybe a combination of smoke smell, not enough sleep and video games all night long? Poor kid is still sleeping, but he's not sick at all...just exhausted.
Tags:anxiety, vomiting
Reply Up