Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SHOCKED and a Question
Persephone 02:54 PM 03-12-2010
I got a phone call from another provider in town who I talked to about openings and she doesn't really want any more school age. So she called today and said that someone called her last night about 2 school aged.

So I called and left a message with the lady and she called.

First off the 9 year old was let go, for reasons she would tell me if we interviewed. (BIG RED FLAG there)

But she couldn't believe what I was going to charge for the summer. (Which includes meals and field trips, just a little more then the local YMCA, who doesn't provide those things)

She asked if that price was for both kids. I said per kid.

She told me that she paid her other lady only $75 a week during the summer for 4 kids!!

I told her she was getting a major deal. I said that lady was under cutting herself big time!

There's no way she was making any money. That's $18.75 a kid a week. That covers what, about the food for the week!!! That's so crazy!!

She said she'd get back to me, but she isn't going to find that price again!

That being said, if she does call back and what ever the problem was at the other sitter (her other two kids are staying there). If it's not too bad and I do think about taking them...

How much do you charge for mornings only for school age, and one afternoon per week? She's have them here at 4:45 am. They'd get on the bus at about 7:35.

She said that she was paying $50 a week for the two of them.
AfterSchoolMom 03:09 PM 03-12-2010
I charge $45 per week for before school, $60 per week for after school, and $80 per week for both - per child. I only do a sibling discount for before and after school, not for one or the other, and even then I only discount 10% after the first child. With that being said...my morning kids are only here for about an hour and a half. I'd charge more for 3 hours, especially if you think of of them will be a "problem" child.

$75 per week for four kids for full days is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of! I don't care if they're complete angels!
momofboys 03:32 PM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
I got a phone call from another provider in town who I talked to about openings and she doesn't really want any more school age. So she called today and said that someone called her last night about 2 school aged.

First off the 9 year old was let go, for reasons she would tell me if we interviewed. (BIG RED FLAG there)

But she couldn't believe what I was going to charge for the summer. (Which includes meals and field trips, just a little more then the local YMCA, who doesn't provide those things)

She told me that she paid her other lady only $75 a week during the summer for 4 kids!!

I told her she was getting a major deal. I said that lady was under cutting herself big time!

There's no way she was making any money. That's $18.75 a kid a week. That covers what, about the food for the week!!! That's so crazy!!

That being said, if she does call back and what ever the problem was at the other sitter (her other two kids are staying there). If it's not too bad and I do think about taking them...

How much do you charge for mornings only for school age, and one afternoon per week? She's have them here at 4:45 am. They'd get on the bus at about 7:35.

Wow! I've heard of people paying $75/week PER CHILD but not for 4 kids!!! That's unheard of. I recently changed my rates for before & after care. However, the boy I watch is only here about 2 hrs a day. I'm charging $6/day for him or $30/week. $50 a week for the two of them seems rather cheap in my opinion, especially since they will be there almost 3 hrs in the EARLY morning & also for another afternoon. I know I am cheap in that area so I think $50 would be too little. Good luck though I know you really want something so I hope you can work something out that is good for you & this other mom!
momma2girls 03:41 PM 03-12-2010
For before and after school children, I charge $50.00 for both before and after. I guess if it was just before or after, maybe $30.00? I used to do $25.00 for one or the other. It was for 2 hrs. though, and I didn't think the $5.00 per day, was even worth it at all.
momma2girls 03:43 PM 03-12-2010

THis price is unreal!!!!!!!!!!!! I have heard of about $75-$100.00 a week per child, and I think that is really cheap as well. I charge $130.00 a week, with a sibling discount of $10.00 per week, so for 2 fulltime, it would be $250.00 per week. I know there is not many daycare providers that give a sibling discount any longer.
Persephone 04:28 PM 03-12-2010
I figure if she calls back, and the boy didn't have major problems at the other provider (but since he was asked to leave it can't be that good), I will ask for the other sitters number so I can talk to her about it too.

She'll be paying about my price anyways, since I'm right in the range in the area.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:17 PM 03-12-2010
That price is unheard of for 4 kids!! That would just about cover the cost of food for all of them! She was WAY undercharging.

Let me say, I have taken in 2 kids (different families) that were let go from previous daycares and it was a nightmare. I found out real quick why they were let go, and over time I let them go also.

I'm not sure if I would get mixed up with this one..especially if she is used to only paying such a small amout for all 4 kids, you might end up getting stiffed some money owed.

She will NEVER find a price like that again, I'm sure. I charge $50/week per child for before and after school...during the summer I have 2 school age girls from the same family and I cut them a good deal and charge $150/week for both girls and have them 11 hours a day.
Persephone 06:09 PM 03-13-2010
So the mom called while I was out, saying that she was wanting to go with me.

I called and the mom was at the store, so I talked to the step dad.

He said that she will more then likely will not tell me what the problem was at the last provider. But he told me that this 9 year old will need to be watched heavily. That he's very troubled.

That alone is enough to tell me that I don't want this child. He said that she would call me back.

I know that I will not take the child with out speaking with the last provider first. I'm not taking the mothers word on what it was, because she could tone it down and make it sound not too bad.

I'm just blown away that a child who is only there from 5:00 to about 7:00-7:30 in the mornings could have that much trouble.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:44 PM 03-13-2010
After having my fair share of troubled kids, I wouldn't want to get involved...I have patience of steal and had a bi-polar girl and her brother that had bad anger issues and NEVER again. It was a bad experience for my family and I don't know how I held on to them for 6 months.

Then I had a very diffucult 4 year old boy with obvious discipline issues, thought he ran the show every day and couldn't reason with him. The mom told me at our interview that the other provider just quit on them cold turkey, without warning...when I asked her why she shrugged it off as she didn't know and casualy mentioned there was another boy in that care that her son didn't get along with but the provider favored the other boy. Ok, no problem....WRONG!....he had major behavior issues that I couldn't fix...hitting kids the first day he was here and shouting at everyone.

I don't know why some parents try to mask their kids behavior issues...as if we are not going to find out eventually. After what I have been through, I would stay away from this one.
Daycare Mommy 09:07 PM 03-13-2010
So the mom called while I was out, saying that she was wanting to go with me.

I called and the mom was at the store, so I talked to the step dad.

He said that she will more then likely will not tell me what the problem was at the last provider. But he told me that this 9 year old will need to be watched heavily. That he's very troubled.
Ooh.. Big red flag there. I'd definitely get the scoop from that last provider... Maybe they're overreacting and it's not that bad... But the first thing I thought of is either someone got hurt really badly by him in the past or he has been molested and has to be watched to be sure he won't do inappropriate things with the other children. I've heard some really sad things from a foster mom who had cared for children like this... Tread with caution.
Persephone 06:42 AM 03-14-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
Ooh.. Big red flag there. I'd definitely get the scoop from that last provider... Maybe they're overreacting and it's not that bad... But the first thing I thought of is either someone got hurt really badly by him in the past or he has been molested and has to be watched to be sure he won't do inappropriate things with the other children. I've heard some really sad things from a foster mom who had cared for children like this... Tread with caution.
Yeah, this was along the lines of what I was thinking.

The mom called back later last night. She said there was some vandalism. One of the other boys at the providers said that "A" done it. Mom said there was no proof of who done it.

She said that she would give me the other providers phone number, if I wanted it. I told her that I did. She kept going on about times and dates. And I had to kept saying something about wanting the number. She wanted to set up an interview for today and I flat out told her that I wanted to talk to the other provider first, so that we would not be wasting time.

Then she said that her cell phone was died and that's where the number was and that she would call me in the morning to give me the number. So we'll see if she does or not.

She did tell me that he is ADHD and takes a pill in the morning. And after that he is fine.

It would only be until Summer then the boy is going to his dad's house for most of the summer and his older sister (11) who would be coming here would most likely want to go back to the old providers house (the two young siblings are staying at the old provider, I think basically the older sister is going with the boy to help out)

I told her $35 a child, so $70 a week. She said that was fine.

ETA: I'm leaning to NOT taking them. Depending on what the last provide says. I will also look up the old providers name on a reverse phone number search and also question her on things the mom said. I mean anyone could say they were the last provider for the mom.
Unregistered 07:44 PM 03-14-2010
That's good that you're determined to talk to her last provider first. We still have a 3 yr old dcb in our care that we've had behavior issues with from the very beginning. I'm talking putting hands around other kid's necks, hitting, pushing, kicking you name it. He finally received his 3rd & last strike last week meaning he couldn't come back the next day (Strikes are not given out hardly AT ALL at our daycare. We reserve them for the BIG BIG things). Anyway, the mom called the owner and told her that he's developmentally delayed, almost deaf in one ear, and some other things. Okay, we've had him for over a month now, and she calls everyday to check on him, we tell her each time something "big" happens, hand her a written accident report if there's been another strike and all that, keeping her up to date with how things are going, try to encourage her as much as possible and all that. But after all this time, she JUST NOW tells us this information when he's received his last strike (meaning if ANYthing else happens, he's officially terminated). I'm not trying to judge, but it seems like she's making things up as she goes along just to convince us to keep him by making us feel guilty if we don't. Otherwise I think she would have told us that part at the very beginning, when she was first talking about enrolling him.
Now we know we should have talked to his last provider first, before accepting him.
Carole's Daycare 01:51 PM 03-15-2010
I took a family of two that were fired from previous daycare for difficult behavior/bad temper (oldest was only 3 though) After talking to the other provider, and knowing her style of care (not a criticism- just some kids need more structure) I agreed to give it a try, after making clear to mom that she had to agree to assessments from school district for speicific problems etc.
Honestly- it was one of the best things I ever did. The first two weeks were rough. But the child came around, got hooked up with some extra help etc. He's like a different boy. Mom is grateful, and our open and frank discussion of his challenges and how best to support his needs- even when it comes to at- home discipline etc so that we are all working together, has fostered a respect and friendship that ended up a real silver lining. Every once in a while I feel like I've made a difference and really helped someone- that God put them in my path for a reason.
That said- if everythyings not on the table and Mom is just shuffling him around without honestly addressing the child's issues, not only can you not help, you are opening yourself up to all manner of potential problems and risks. I've passed on afew I didn't get a good vibe from too... If you can't talk to provider and meet with family/children prior, and get a two week trial period, and it be worth the challenge financially- pass. Always trust your gut.
Persephone 02:18 PM 03-15-2010
Well the mom never called with the providers name. She knew that I would not interview with out talking to the provider first.

I hope the next person doesn't have problems.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:24 PM 03-15-2010
I'm glad you were trying to look into it. I know what I have been through and I know I don't want to get involved with those that get kicked out of daycare again..it was bad news twice for me, NEVER again.
Tags:charge, rates, school-age
Reply Up