Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Random New Child
Hunni Bee 11:25 AM 04-10-2012
I just had a child that I have never seen before show up at 11 am and join my class, in the middle of Picture Day!!! I had no prior knowledge that he was coming.

I dont even know how old he is or his last name.

I didn't even know the mom and grandma were leaving him and his sister, I just thought they were still talking to my director and just wanted to let him get acquainted, which was a bad idea anyway because we.were in the middle of taking pictures and everything was hectic.

I just walked into the room and the director was pointing me out saying "...and this is his teacher..."

Thankfully the child has done great, but really??? Who does this?
MyAngels 12:12 PM 04-10-2012
I used to have a dream every now and again that someone would just show up at my door to drop of their children and I had no idea who they were. I never considered that it could actually happen .
GoMontessori 12:18 PM 04-10-2012
Very Interesting
itlw8 12:45 PM 04-10-2012
so did he get a picture of his first day at school?
Kaddidle Care 12:56 PM 04-10-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I just had a child that I have never seen before show up at 11 am and join my class, in the middle of Picture Day!!! I had no prior knowledge that he was coming.

I dont even know how old he is or his last name.

I didn't even know the mom and grandma were leaving him and his sister, I just thought they were still talking to my director and just wanted to let him get acquainted, which was a bad idea anyway because we.were in the middle of taking pictures and everything was hectic.

I just walked into the room and the director was pointing me out saying "...and this is his teacher..."

Thankfully the child has done great, but really??? Who does this?
Not a GOOD Director, that's for sure. I hope she let you know if he has any allergies, etc.

How incredibly RUDE. Sorry you have to work for someone like that.
Bookworm 02:47 PM 04-10-2012
Welcome to working in a Center. I have had this happen too many times to count. They usually come in to interview after 3pm when the full-time staff are gone. Then as soon as the director says they have an opening, they jump on it without even seeing the classroom let alone meeting the future teacher. These usually turn out to be the "problem children/parents". I hope it works out for you.
MizzCheryl 04:29 PM 04-10-2012
I went first thing in the morning to apply for a job at a center, THis was years ago.
The director said "I don't have time to interview you now but sit with these kids till I get done."
OMG she stuck me with 8 kids. Then parents start coming in and dropping off more kids. I was like oh H*#! no. When the director came back 35 minutes later I was like FORGET it.
Kaddidle Care 05:09 PM 04-10-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
I went first thing in the morning to apply for a job at a center, THis was years ago.
The director said "I don't have time to interview you now but sit with these kids till I get done."
OMG she stuck me with 8 kids. Then parents start coming in and dropping off more kids. I was like oh H*#! no. When the director came back 35 minutes later I was like FORGET it.
I would have reported them. She had no background check on you, didn't even interview you yet and LEFT you with children that were in her charge for 35 minutes? You could have left and they'd have nobody! OMG!
MizzCheryl 05:53 PM 04-10-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I would have reported them. She had no background check on you, didn't even interview you yet and LEFT you with children that were in her charge for 35 minutes? You could have left and they'd have nobody! OMG!
yep! That center didn't last too long.
Hunni Bee 06:37 PM 04-10-2012
@ Kaddidle - Nope. And when I asked her for that information at the end of the day, she still didn't have it. Said the mom hadn't returned the info packet yet...umm, then why are they starting??

@Bookworm - Unfortunately, this is not new for me. Usually, I get the offhanded "oh, you have a new kid starting Monday", and sometimes I don't know the name/gender/age/etc. of the child until they get there, but at least I know they're coming. This, however, was the first time someone just showed up out of nowhere and no one even bothered to tell me.
Bookworm 01:54 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
@ Kaddidle - Nope. And when I asked her for that information at the end of the day, she still didn't have it. Said the mom hadn't returned the info packet yet...umm, then why are they starting??

@Bookworm - Unfortunately, this is not new for me. Usually, I get the offhanded "oh, you have a new kid starting Monday", and sometimes I don't know the name/gender/age/etc. of the child until they get there, but at least I know they're coming. This, however, was the first time someone just showed up out of nowhere and no one even bothered to tell me.
Lately, it's been that way at my job as well. I recently had a mom enroll her kid and as I was going into my spiel about my class and curriculum she stopped me by saying,"I don't care about all that, I just needed a new daycare." I was totally shocked. They didn't make it 2 months. Another problem child.
TGPII 02:05 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
Welcome to working in a Center. I have had this happen too many times to count. They usually come in to interview after 3pm when the full-time staff are gone. Then as soon as the director says they have an opening, they jump on it without even seeing the classroom let alone meeting the future teacher. These usually turn out to be the "problem children/parents". I hope it works out for you.
Been their done that.
Hunni Bee 08:23 PM 08-16-2012
I remember this day and making this post.

Bookworm, you were so right.

This kid has been HELL. He screams all day long, he tells us "no", he screams that the other kids are messing with him and no one is even near him. He, on the other hand - pokes, picks and screams at the other kids. He keeps our nerves on edge.

When I had my CDA observation, the observer (someone from our CCR&R) asked me were there any children in the room with special needs. I started to say I had one, but he was at school. She then indicated this kid and said "Well, what about HIM?"

He definitely needs help, but his mother keeps "forgetting to call" "losing the number" etc. I feel sorry for whoever takes my place.
countrymom 05:00 AM 08-17-2012
I have to respond to this, this happened to my back up provider. A gma was suppose to drop her gd off at a home daycare, but apparently the mother of the child didn't give her an addy, just directions and a description of the house.

so the gma goes to my sisters house (she lives next door to my back up provider) and starts ringing the bell like crazy, so my sister answers the door and the gma asks if this was the daycare, so my sister sends her next door.

this gma rings the bell and my back up answers the door, the gma hands her the child and all her belongs and starts to leave, omg, C starts running after her and asking her who is she, gma tells her that she's dropping her off at daycare. C is like "she doesn't go here" hands her the child back. Gma continues to go and ring on everyones door.

so yes, this has happened before.
Lilbutterflie 05:38 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have to respond to this, this happened to my back up provider. A gma was suppose to drop her gd off at a home daycare, but apparently the mother of the child didn't give her an addy, just directions and a description of the house.

so the gma goes to my sisters house (she lives next door to my back up provider) and starts ringing the bell like crazy, so my sister answers the door and the gma asks if this was the daycare, so my sister sends her next door.

this gma rings the bell and my back up answers the door, the gma hands her the child and all her belongs and starts to leave, omg, C starts running after her and asking her who is she, gma tells her that she's dropping her off at daycare. C is like "she doesn't go here" hands her the child back. Gma continues to go and ring on everyones door.

so yes, this has happened before.
Um, WOW!
Sugar Magnolia 10:31 AM 08-17-2012
As terrible as this sounds, the director is probably punishing you for quiting! She knows you don't like this, its sounding like she is giving you the bronx salute.
Childminder 11:46 AM 08-17-2012
I did have a parent show up at my door one day and ask me if I had openings for three and how much with a few other questions. When I gave her the information she said: "Great! Let me get them out of the car, I'm late for work."
Hunni Bee 11:53 AM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
As terrible as this sounds, the director is probably punishing you for quiting! She knows you don't like this, its sounding like she is giving you the bronx salute.
She is. Daily. She took my ECER-S book without my knowledge and won't return it, she hid my MAT certificate, just all types of petty things.

5 more days, 5 more days....
Sugar Magnolia 03:25 PM 08-17-2012
What?!? Grrrrrr!! I might be "sick" next week if she is going to be like that.
Nickel 04:24 PM 08-17-2012
I just wanted to say that not all daycares are like that. I worked at a wonderful child development center that was naeyc accredited and our director was wonderful. our ratio was 4:1 for child up to 18mnths 6:1 for children up to 3, 8:1 children up to 4 and 12:1 for the preschool rooms. there were 2 infant classrooms, 2 toddler classrooms, 1 transition classroom and 2 preschool classrooms. Each classroom had 2 teachers with the acception of the infant rooms that had 3 (i was one of the infant teachers) and all new parents took a tour of the facility, then started all the paperwork and we were introduced to mom and child before they started.

We had "real" teachers in our rooms from open to close so there was never a time when a parent came and there wasn't someone knowledgeable in that room. I adored our facility and only left because we moved with my husbands job. My own daughter attended there even before I got the job there. I was never allowed alone with the children until my background check cleared and my interview was a two step process with the director and then with the teachers.

I actually have had much better luck with daycares then with home providers (which I guess makes me a hypocrit being a home provider now). But we were required to take the children outside every day weather permitting, for children as young as 1 year old. and even the babies were taken on walks.

I know not all child care centers are like that, but not ALL centers are aweful horrible places where the directors don't get and the children get treated like dollars instead of people.

I didn't mean to highjack your thread or anything, but it's jmho...
Sugar Magnolia 04:59 PM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I just wanted to say that not all daycares are like that. I worked at a wonderful child development center that was naeyc accredited and our director was wonderful. our ratio was 4:1 for child up to 18mnths 6:1 for children up to 3, 8:1 children up to 4 and 12:1 for the preschool rooms. there were 2 infant classrooms, 2 toddler classrooms, 1 transition classroom and 2 preschool classrooms. Each classroom had 2 teachers with the acception of the infant rooms that had 3 (i was one of the infant teachers) and all new parents took a tour of the facility, then started all the paperwork and we were introduced to mom and child before they started.

We had "real" teachers in our rooms from open to close so there was never a time when a parent came and there wasn't someone knowledgeable in that room. I adored our facility and only left because we moved with my husbands job. My own daughter attended there even before I got the job there. I was never allowed alone with the children until my background check cleared and my interview was a two step process with the director and then with the teachers.

I actually have had much better luck with daycares then with home providers (which I guess makes me a hypocrit being a home provider now). But we were required to take the children outside every day weather permitting, for children as young as 1 year old. and even the babies were taken on walks.

I know not all child care centers are like that, but not ALL centers are aweful horrible places where the directors don't get and the children get treated like dollars instead of people.

Thank you for this post!!! As a center director, this truly made my day.
Hunni Bee 09:52 PM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:

I sincerely hope my new job is like this. It seems wonderful. I dont mean to constantly bash my current job, but it's a daily struggle. I almost hate to leave, because the director has already decided not to replace me, and I know it's going to be really tough on the remaining staff.

Your post gives me hope.
Nickel 09:50 AM 08-18-2012
Oh, Hunni Bee. I didn't mean anything negative to you. I know your current job must be a nightmare!!! And I COMPLETELY understand venting about it! And I do really hope that your new job is like my old center. So, i'm sorry if I made you feel bad in any way. it's just some of the other posts just accepted that ALL centers are like that. And they aren't. I feel bad for those that have had negative experiences. But there are places out there that are really wonderful, have proper staff, treat their employess great, and treat the children even better.

I wish you the best of luck in your new job, and I also understand feeling guilty for leaving your coworkers behind, But you are moving on and doing what is best for you.
Tags:drop in care
Reply Up