Cash 23 46.00%
Check 31 62.00%
Direct Deposit / Bank Transfer 16 32.00%
Care Reader (i.e. Square) 1 2.00%
Paypal / Venmo 9 18.00%
MMK / Daycare Sofrware 2 4.00%
Other 2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Are You Paid?
CityGarden 09:27 AM 01-23-2017
I found an old poll with this topic and thought it would be neat to see what providers are doing now!

Please add the pros / cons or reason why you use the payment option you selected in the comments

If you use more than one please select your preferred method for the poll and add any additional thoughts in the comments.
Ariana 09:49 AM 01-23-2017
I used to do checks but now do mainly etransfers. Soooo convenient since my bank is far from my house. I still offer it though. The family starting next week requested checks. Not happy about it but it is what it is.

Pros of checks is that I decide when I get paid and I am rarely late
Cons my bank is far from my house so it is not convenient

Pros of etransfers is that it is deposited from my couch and it is easy to adjust payments for late fees or vacation days.
Cons parents sometimes pay late.
happymom 09:55 AM 01-23-2017
I chose "how I pay" since I am a parent...
My center has a lot of options including bank transfer, credit card (with a 3% fee added), cash or check.

I do bank transfer because it requires zero efforts on my part. I just had to fill out a form at the beginning of enrollment and the office manager takes care of the rest.
Blackcat31 09:55 AM 01-23-2017
I get paid via bank transfers.

The pros for me are that payment is never late due to a closed day, holiday or absent day.

The cons are that parents have to take the time to set this method up but from what I an tell so far, it's pretty simple as I haven't had anyone not be able to do it despite most parents banking at different bank(s) than I do.
Snowmom 10:23 AM 01-23-2017
Half checks, half bank transfers.

I don't have a preference on either. My bank has a mobile deposit feature, so I don't have to drive to the bank anyway.
LysesKids 11:00 AM 01-23-2017
I take cash or credit cards (Square)... Most my parents pay by cash, but at least one in every new group pays by CC. I get paid monthly... I stopped taking checks years ago because of my hours & too many bouncing. My CC option gives parents a way to pay if they forget $$ too. I usually have the money in my account next morning if it's not a weekend
laundrymom 11:07 AM 01-23-2017
I do cash.
In advance.
Always.
I do so because I hate waiting on checks to clear and I'm too lazy to set up transfers. Just being honest. Lol
I like cash.
I do pay all my bills through transfers. Lol so I guess I'm kind of hypocritical.
But I feel cash is easier for me.
lovemydaycare0912 11:29 AM 01-23-2017
I accept cash or check only. I prefer either on. I deposit checks through mobile deposit and it is available next business day. That's the pro. Checks can be post dated if a dcm won't be in on payday. Con is having to wait for the check to clear if Monday is a holiday.

Cash is easy. Pro is I have the money no need to wait to clear. Con is parents getting upset when I tell them no change and no it cannot be put towards next week's tuition. That's about it for me,
e.j. 11:32 AM 01-23-2017
Oops! I responded to the poll before I read your instructions to check the one method I prefer. I take cash, checks and bank transfer so I checked all 3. Sorry about that!

If I had to choose, I guess cash would be my preferred method of payment. As long as I get paid, though, I don't care how it's done.
Baby Beluga 11:45 AM 01-23-2017
Parents pay via cash, check or bank transfer.

I don't mind cash, but am not a fan of having to physically deposit it. I never use cash to pay for anything because I like having a bank record of my purchases. So I always have to deposit it.

Checks I usually don't mind because I can do mobile deposits. However one of my parent's handwriting is not neat so her checks are never accepted by mobile deposit and I have to take them in to the branch.

I prefer bank transfer. It is easy on me as I don't have to do anything except email the receipt. My bank emails me when a payment was made and the date it is expected to be available in my account. Once it is no longer pending I email a receipt to the parent and I'm done.

ETA: I wouldn't mind doing something like square but the fees turn me off to it.
jenboo 11:54 AM 01-23-2017
All my parents pay via Brightwheels bank transfer. They send payments on Wed so that i receive them in my account by friday. It's awesome and everyone loves it. They can also set up automatic payments to pay once they receive an invoice
renodeb 01:02 PM 01-23-2017
I'm paid by Check and cash with one client doing electronic bank transfer (which I really like).
I actually dont mind being paid by check, I have had very few issues with checks and it does create a good paper trail. I like cash to but it doesnt always make it to the bank! Electronic transfer works great, I get a notice when they send it and I just confirm when it hits my acct.
Deb
Jupadia 01:08 PM 01-23-2017
My parents pay with either cash or cheques. I don't realy prefer one over the other. Though I use to prefer cash, but now my bank let's me cash the cheque via my phone (banking app) so it's not a hassle to cash. I have not yet but in my contact parents pay a hefty penalty for a bounced cheque. (The fee bank charges, $50 inconvenience fee, $25 per day from the time the payment was originally due and late payment fee, and no more checks)
MarinaVanessa 02:49 PM 01-23-2017
I accept all of the options that were posted but my preference is check (as long as I'm not given a rubber check ). Checks are just easier for me. I snap a picture of them immediately through my phone app and it's in my business account the next day. I can then use my business debit or checks to pay for business expenses and transfer money from the business account to my personal account for personal expenses. Makes it so much easier to keep track of expenses.

Cash: I like cash too but I like being able to keep track of every dollar I made and have proof so I deposit any cash into my business account. Cash just means I have to go to my branch or ATM to deposit it.

Direct Deposit: When clients bank at the same bank as I do they can easily transfer money from their account to mine. I do love it and it's one of my favorite ways to get paid but not every client has the option. I love getting the money immediately in my account.

Card Reader: I have a PayPal and a Square reader and I use whichever one is less expensive to use. The bad thing is the fee of course but the money is in my account typically about 24 hours later so that's a plus.

PayPal: LOVE paypal too but I prefer for them to send me money through friends and family so that I don't get a fee. They also can't stop payment this way so that's a plus. I have a PayPal business account and that comes with a debit card that I can use so I don't have to wait to transfer the money if i need to spend it and the money comes out right away if I use the account or use the card and I like that because it's easy for me to keep track of my balance.

MMK: I like how easy this is to use and how it keeps track of when clients pay automatically so I have less to do but I don't like that it takes like 5 days for the money to clear.
Ariana 03:22 PM 01-23-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Half checks, half bank transfers.

I don't have a preference on either. My bank has a mobile deposit feature, so I don't have to drive to the bank anyway.
Thank you so much for the reminder! I think my bank just started this. Its been about 3 years since I've cashed a check So I forgot!!
DaveA 04:05 AM 01-24-2017
I will do either cash, check, or bank transfer. So far only 1 family has wanted to do the bank transfer. Everyone else has wanted to write me a check or give cash.
Lovisa 06:01 AM 01-24-2017
Check or cash only.
Gemma 10:27 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by Lovisa:
Check or cash only.
me too
NillaWafers 10:44 AM 01-24-2017
I use brightwheel now, all my parents use it.

Used MMK before and was happy before they went to sh*t.
CityGarden 10:55 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
I use brightwheel now, all my parents use it.

Used MMK before and was happy before they went to sh*t.
I have been a fan of brightwheel since just before they went on Shark Tank and have already planned to pilot using it in my program to keep parents informed.

Are there fees you have to pay for parents to pay via Brightwheel? Also any cons to it thus far? I was considering going on the food program just to use MMK for fee but hearing the horror stories on her lately I don't feel it is worth it for MMK anymore.
CityGarden 10:56 AM 01-24-2017
Those who do check or cash only why did you decide to do that?

My dd's preschool was check only which was fine but I wonder as a provider why you would opt for that.
lovemydaycare0912 11:06 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Those who do check or cash only why did you decide to do that?

My dd's preschool was check only which was fine but I wonder as a provider why you would opt for that.
Easier. I don't want to wait for money to clear. I don't want to pay fees for an easier option for parents such as square or whatever the case is. I've only been open 2 years in Feb and all parents pay in check or cash only. I had a family who sent bill pay but they stopped doing it automatically and acted oblivious when I didn't get the check in time as if it was too hard for them to write a regular check.
Mike 11:07 AM 01-24-2017
I plan any of:

Cash, Check (mobile deposit), Direct Deposit, Bank Transfer, Square, Paypal, maybe even a little trading.

I've used all for other businesses and each one has advantages and disadvantages.
hwichlaz 01:13 PM 01-24-2017
I have one parent that uses Venmo, it's also how I get childsupport from my ex so it's fine....most write me a monthly check at the start of each month....and a few pay cash for the week at drop off. I used to use epay through my food program app, but it takes up to 4 business days to credit my checking account....and I don't like that. I can take a photo of a check and deposit it into my bank account instantly.
NillaWafers 05:42 PM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I have been a fan of brightwheel since just before they went on Shark Tank and have already planned to pilot using it in my program to keep parents informed.

Are there fees you have to pay for parents to pay via Brightwheel? Also any cons to it thus far? I was considering going on the food program just to use MMK for fee but hearing the horror stories on her lately I don't feel it is worth it for MMK anymore.
Parents don't have to pay fees for brightwheel, and neither do you. They also don't charge a service fee like MMK did.

I do like brightwheel but I still find it wanting. Honestly I want a program that combines KK, MMK, Brightwheel, DailyConnect, and a plethora of other programs I use to run the daycare.
knoxmomof2 11:59 AM 01-26-2017
I've been open for 4 years. Started out cash only. Then cash or check (for established clients). Then a DCD (who lives an hour away), forgot to leave a check with DCM (they're split) and asked about paying via PayPal. I already had an account and debit card from my eBay Seller days, so he opted for that method all the time. I let the others know and now 3/4 of mine pay me that way. I just have 1 that's cash /check (it varies).

I prefer PayPal. Everyone has their records and I can use the Debit card for purchases or wait a few days for a free bank transfer. They just use the friends and family option so no fees. I think they just waive their right to dispute a transaction if they go that route.

I have no cons, the app is on my phone so I get a notification when I'm paid ☺️
Tags:online payment, payment method, payment options
Reply Up