Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stopped By A Family's House For Check...Is This Crazy?
chickenfarms 07:10 AM 01-14-2017
I watch a family of 2 kids that were sick on Friday. I text her back when she told me they weren't coming and asked if her husband was staying home and if she would be dropping the check by after work. She said her husband was sick too and that she would drop it in the mail. I'm closed on Monday and it's a holiday so I wouldn't get it until Tuesday. Mailing is NOT an option anyway! I told her I wouldn't get it until Tuesday and said I could stop by after work to pick it up since her family was puking. I even offered to bring pedialite if she needed it. No response.
Text her around 3 and said I would be in her area between a certain timeframe and could she leave it in the mailbox. No response.
I then thought maybe she meant she was just putting it in her mailbox and I was to come pick it up. I thought about calling first this morning before stopping by, but decided to just go and check her mailbox because maybe it was sitting there. So, I went to the door and the husband was shocked and I told him there was some confusion about the check and I didn't k ow if they meant they were stopping by and putting it in my mailbox or it was in there's. He asks the wife and she answered that it didn't get mailed.😳 He then said he would get the check and shut the door. He gave it to me and I told him I was sorry they were sick and hoped they feel better soon.
This may seem a little aggressive, but I told her twice I would be stopping by to grab it from the mailbox with no response. They probably think I'm crazy, but I feel I gave them adequate time to respond. Did I go too far?
finsup 08:03 AM 01-14-2017
Originally Posted by chickenfarms:
I watch a family of 2 kids that were sick on Friday. I text her back when she told me they weren't coming and asked if her husband was staying home and if she would be dropping the check by after work. She said her husband was sick too and that she would drop it in the mail. I'm closed on Monday and it's a holiday so I wouldn't get it until Tuesday. Mailing is NOT an option anyway! I told her I wouldn't get it until Tuesday and said I could stop by after work to pick it up since her family was puking. I even offered to bring pedialite if she needed it. No response.
Text her around 3 and said I would be in her area between a certain timeframe and could she leave it in the mailbox. No response.
I then thought maybe she meant she was just putting it in her mailbox and I was to come pick it up. I thought about calling first this morning before stopping by, but decided to just go and check her mailbox because maybe it was sitting there. So, I went to the door and the husband was shocked and I told him there was some confusion about the check and I didn't k ow if they meant they were stopping by and putting it in my mailbox or it was in there's. He asks the wife and she answered that it didn't get mailed.😳 He then said he would get the check and shut the door. He gave it to me and I told him I was sorry they were sick and hoped they feel better soon.
This may seem a little aggressive, but I told her twice I would be stopping by to grab it from the mailbox with no response. They probably think I'm crazy, but I feel I gave them adequate time to respond. Did I go too far?
Well...Maybe just a little lol. But hey you got paid and I bet it doesn't happen again!
chickenfarms 10:14 AM 01-14-2017
I know...😬. However, this family knows the rules about payment and are just bad communicators! It was $360 and I had bills due so I literally could not afford to wait until Tuesday!
Ariana 10:33 AM 01-14-2017
He shut the door in your face and didn't invite you in?! That is pretty pathetic and it would have made me feel like I was some kind of begger, begging to be paid. As if I hadn't just looked after their kids!! Some people are so pathetic

He should have opened the door, apologized profusely that you had to drive all this way, invited you in to wait while he wrote out a check. I sincerely have no idea why parents are so rude to their DCP's.

Please do not apologize for getting your check. When they come back Monday please don't apologize. They are the ones that should apologize for their rude behavior.
chickenfarms 11:21 AM 01-14-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
He shut the door in your face and didn't invite you in?! That is pretty pathetic and it would have made me feel like I was some kind of begger, begging to be paid. As if I hadn't just looked after their kids!! Some people are so pathetic

He should have opened the door, apologized profusely that you had to drive all this way, invited you in to wait while he wrote out a check. I sincerely have no idea why parents are so rude to their DCP's.

Please do not apologize for getting your check. When they come back Monday please don't apologize. They are the ones that should apologize for their rude behavior.
Thank you for that Adriana! It was freezing rain outside too!�� I was fine with being outside, but I agree they could have apologized for not getting the payment to me.
Her exact text was "my husband is sick too. I am going to try to get out and get the kids some fluids at nap time. I will put a check in the mailbox sometime today. "
She could have meant:
A. I am mailing it. (Not acceptable and I text that back to her)
B. I am puting it in YOUR MAILBOX (checked my mailbox at 10 pm and still no check)
C. I am putting it in MY mailbox (come pick it up.)

I covered the first two so was giving her the benefit of the doubt it was option C. When it wasn't there I just walked to the door! They obviously weren't worried about it at all. I would have just charged late fees, but I am closed for the holiday and CANNOT wait until Tuesday!
I just don't understand not answering my texts. Putting it in the mailbox for me to pick it up takes the same energy to put it in the mailbox to mail it. And the fact that she didn't even mail it anyway....based on her answer that "it did not get mailed" I don't know that she saw my other texts. Could have saved some confusion and made a solid plan for payment.
I really don't mind stopping by if they are all sick, but good grief!
mommyneedsadayoff 12:57 PM 01-14-2017
I think it stinks that you had to go fishing for your paycheck. Normally, i would say you should call, versus text, but i am changing my tune on that. I now go by what the normal means of communication is. If i only text with certain parents with no issue and responsive communication and then all of a sudden when it comes to any issues, i get no response, i dont let that slide. Texting allows for passive aggressive behavior like no responding, so if that is the way they handle it, i would only use phone calls from now on. Sorry you went through that to get paid. Parents do not understand (or care) how important our paycheck is to us. Hopefully they now recognize that they need to make pymt on time, but i would make them realize that this dituation cannot happen again.
childcaremom 03:07 AM 01-15-2017
I think it's crazy that you had to chase down your paycheque.

I have my families pay electronically. No excuses for them not paying on time AND no travelling in bad weather.
Heart12 07:01 AM 01-16-2017
If the whole family was sick, I would have taken my chances in the cold/rain

I understand WHY you went to their house, it sounds like you had bills due immediately. Personally, I wouldnt have but I get it. If I were you, I'd be sending home a friendly little reminder about when payments are DUE. I'd also let DCP know that however they wish to get that check to your house is fine, but there will be late fees added for every day that it is late. NO EXCEPTIONS! I do think it is rather bad @$$ that you showed up to their house! They probably think you are crazy, but they will probably think twice about ignoring your texts about payment again!!
nannyde 09:35 AM 01-16-2017
I hope you cashed it at their bank. Sounds like they didn't have the money.
Mom2Two 07:10 PM 01-17-2017
If this is a problem, I would switch to electronic and charge late fees for every day late starting Saturday. There's no reason they can't pay by paypal friends and family. I am SO glad I switched to electronic. Two families pay by Venmo and one by Paypal. I will require it in future.
daycarediva 06:54 AM 01-18-2017
I think your first mistake was showing up at their home for your money. I NEVER track down my money. I think THAT was HIGHLY unprofessional, imho.

I require payment as usual (bank transfer, cc, paypal payment if illness prevents them leaving their home)

and then I send a text that their payment is now late and the late fee's of X will be charged until paid in full.
tenderhearts 10:05 AM 01-19-2017
I guess I do it differently, if they are out on the day that they are suppose to pay, I don't expect them to come by and pay that day I just require it the next day they are in care.
Reply Up