Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Winter Outdoor Play with Infant
Sumshine 10:12 AM 01-16-2017
So I'm a newly licensed provider who lives in Northern Minnesota and obviously it is very cold and snowy here. We go outside everyday unless the weather absolutely does not permit us to. These past two weeks we unfortunately have not been able to go out due to very cold temps and a few windy snow storms. It looks like we are about to be on the up-and-up though and weather is going to allow us to start getting back outside! Yay! I genuinely love playing out in the snow with the kids and my kiddos like it too!

Within the past two weeks we have added our first infant addition to the daycare. I just assumed that in the winter time we would go outside once the baby took a nap at a convenient time for us to go and we would keep to my backyard while I kept a video monitor on baby inside. On really nice winter days I figured we could all walk to the park a block away and baby could be in a stroller bundled up with the snow suit the parents have provided me.

Baby (3months) doesn't really nap! He dozes off here or there and takes 10 minute power naps throughout the day. If we go out to my backyard I don't really know a logical way he can be involved in the winter as he cannot sit up on his own and I would literally have to carry him without being ablt to set him down to help other children out there. I prefer to stick to my backyard as it is the most convenient and the kids really enjoy it back there. Going to the park is typically a once-a-week thing. In the summertime I know it will be a lot easier but right now I just don't really know what to do or how to do it. I don't want to bring any equipment out such as a bouncy seat as it will get wet/snowy. I thought about pushing the jogging stroller out there for him to sit in but again that would be a big pain as I have a walkout basement and to bring a wet jogging stroller in and out of said basement/general daycare area I think will be very messy. Plus I would have to grab it from where I store it daily and put it back.

So what works best for you with an infant in care during the winter months for outside time? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
Play Care 10:32 AM 01-16-2017
I do use the stroller. I make it easy for me, so I don't put it away in storage but keep it accessible. I would even put some old beach towels down on the floor so you can park it by the door to dry off.
So easy to pop baby in and out we go
Sumshine 10:39 AM 01-16-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I do use the stroller. I make it easy for me, so I don't put it away in storage but keep it accessible. I would even put some old beach towels down on the floor so you can park it by the door to dry off.
So easy to pop baby in and out we go

I am thinking I might just have to do it that way. I have 3 strollers: a regular, a jogger, and a triple so I can just keep the jogger downstairs for him. The beach towels is a good idea I know I for sure want to get a bigger rug for that area we have a small tile patch in front of the patio door from the inside and I have a small rug there but a bigger one would help as I'll be able to get in and out without tracking snow on my carpet. I've been doing a 1 kid at a time coming in a line up with the door opened and I toss all their stuff off and move down the line lol! I am thinking about maybe clearing some of the snow out from my patio door and making a big square of the yard with the snow cleared/down to nothing to make it easier to come in and out. I also have a toddler who is a little nugget and he can't walk through the snow once it gets too high so it might help him be able to play better as well. A provider around the corner from me recommended using my little sled with a strap and a back to put them in but I just don't think he is able to hold himself up in there for more than a few minutes right now.
laundrymom 10:39 AM 01-16-2017
I use a sled. I wrap them up and pop them in a sled.
Sumshine 10:50 AM 01-16-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I use a sled. I wrap them up and pop them in a sled.
I do have a little sled with a belly strap and back to it but I don't know if he will be able to hold himself up in it.

I am also wondering if it's acceptable to attach his infant car seat to my stroller (as long as it clicks right) and have him buckled in there so long as he isn't sleeping in it. His carseat as a cozy cover so he could stay nice and warm as well in it or I could take the cozy cover off and use the two awnings from the stroller and the carseat together to shield him from any wind/cold. Or if I can just use the carseat in itself out there with the cozy cover to keep him warm and safe and bring him along with me.
happymom 11:00 AM 01-16-2017
Is babywearing an option for you?
Josiegirl 11:11 AM 01-16-2017
I was wearing my babe in a front pack but as soon as I got her strapped into it, she'd fall asleep. At the moment I'm placing her in her car seat, wrapped up really well, and do NOT allow her to fall asleep, plus keep looking at her every 45 seconds. Honestly, I have no other idea on how to do it. It's either that or we don't go out. I also have toddler sleds but she's not old enough to sit up at all; not sure if any amount of propping and stuffing blankets, would help?
Sumshine 11:17 AM 01-16-2017
I could try using a carrier but I prefer not to. It really strains my back and if I am holding a baby I make it a point to rearrange them as I do have a minor back injury from a car accident that is very manageable so long as I am staying on top of it. Plus i have an FXR snowmobiling coat (it's heavy and huge!) I dont know if a carrier would fit over it I think I am going to email my licensor about the carseat option toale sure it's not a huge violation of some sort even if I don't allow him to sleep in it and forsure try the sled and just the hiding stroller minus the carseat and see what works best for us until he gets a little older/stronger.
laundrymom 11:28 AM 01-16-2017
I don't use one of those. Just an old pink sled. I think it was originally red. I wrap them. And then put a blanket or two down. Then put them in it/on it. And pull them to where I am. I do this winter or summer.
Originally Posted by Sumshine:
I do have a little sled with a belly strap and back to it but I don't know if he will be able to hold himself up in it.

I am also wondering if it's acceptable to attach his infant car seat to my stroller (as long as it clicks right) and have him buckled in there so long as he isn't sleeping in it. His carseat as a cozy cover so he could stay nice and warm as well in it or I could take the cozy cover off and use the two awnings from the stroller and the carseat together to shield him from any wind/cold. Or if I can just use the carseat in itself out there with the cozy cover to keep him warm and safe and bring him along with me.

Blackcat31 11:34 AM 01-16-2017
So I'm a newly licensed provider who lives in Northern Minnesota and obviously it is very cold and snowy here.
Northern MN? I didn't realize you were in the northern part of the state! Yay!

There are several providers on the board from MN but everyone lives in the TC's area or central MN so it's nice to see a northern gal here!

Where are you located? Maybe we're close enough that we could plan a get together...
Sumshine 11:56 AM 01-16-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Northern MN? I didn't realize you were in the northern part of the state! Yay!

There are several providers on the board from MN but everyone lives in the TC's area or central MN so it's nice to see a northern gal here!

Where are you located? Maybe we're close enough that we could plan a get together...
I am in Zimmerman. Smaller town about a 40 min drive from Millelacs! Not crazy north but waaaay north for me as I am from Minneapolis born and raised! I moved up here with my boyfriend when I found out I was expecting since he had already had a house up here and this is where he grew up. I love it out here!

I would love to get together if we are close enough! I have a couple of in-network providers that I talk with but they are very laid-back where I am a lot more structured/organized so sometimes I don't always get the best of advice from them that suites my needs for this business!
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 01-16-2017
I am in Zimmerman. Smaller town about a 40 min drive from Millelacs! Not crazy north but waaaay north for me as I am from Minneapolis born and raised! I moved up here with my boyfriend when I found out I was expecting since he had already had a house up here and this is where he grew up. I love it out here!

I would love to get together if we are close enough! I have a couple of in-network providers that I talk with but they are very laid-back where I am a lot more structured/organized so sometimes I don't always get the best of advice from them that suites my needs for this business!
Aw, bummer... it's definitely north for you but I don't even call that central MN...

I am still a couple hours north of you.

I'm waaaaaaay up north.
I'm less than 100 miles south of the Canadian border.

My husband always says anyone south of Mille Lacs Lake is living in northern Iowa. Several of my brothers live in Pine City and the difference in not only weather but terrain between there and here is crazy; almost like two different states so that's why my DH likes to tease them.

My sister lives in St Paul and although I don't get down there too often to visit, I do go now and then. Next time I head that way though it would be super fun to plan a meet/greet just to have a cup of coffee or something.
Sumshine 12:31 PM 01-16-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Aw, bummer... it's definitely north for you but I don't even call that central MN...

I am still a couple hours north of you.

I'm waaaaaaay up north.
I'm less than 100 miles south of the Canadian border.

My husband always says anyone south of Mille Lacs Lake is living in northern Iowa. Several of my brothers live in Pine City and the difference in not only weather but terrain between there and here is crazy; almost like two different states so that's why my DH likes to tease them.

My sister lives in St Paul and although I don't get down there too often to visit, I do go now and then. Next time I head that way though it would be super fun to plan a meet/greet just to have a cup of coffee or something.
Isn't it so crazy the different reactions depending on where are you are from? Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy far north! I don't think anyone from the cities or Central Minnesota really even realize there is a true Northern MN! Like literally almost Canada North lol!
Blackcat31 12:58 PM 01-16-2017
Isn't it so crazy the different reactions depending on where are you are from? Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy far north! I don't think anyone from the cities or Central Minnesota really even realize there is a true Northern MN! Like literally almost Canada North lol!
True! I have several provider friends that live in Canada (Toronto area etc) and I always have to show them the map for them to understand that I am actually farther north than they are.

We always joke that we are so far north (other side of the Laurentian Divide) that many of the rivers flow north towards Canada...lol! verses south like the mighty Mississippi

I live (near) in the Icebox of the Nation....lol!
Jupadia 01:13 PM 01-16-2017
I use my double I pUT my youngest guy (last year was just a few weeks old at this time) in the back. It lays down completely flat so baby could sleep (have no regulations against this). I have a blanket bag thing that's almost like a sleep sack so I use that for him. And then have a plastic wind guard that goes over the stroller. Even now baby at 1 will sit in there and play with toys I've attached to it while the older kids play. During the summer I will spread out blankets and such and use the stroller. Once they are walking I just let them do their best to tumble around cause at that point they hate sitting still.
Unregistered 02:02 PM 01-16-2017
When they are itty bitty, I use a carrier. I wear a hood, then strap them on, then put my husbands coat on over us. Once they are bigger, I switch to bundling them in a jogging stroller, and short lengths of time outside.
Pestle 04:27 PM 01-16-2017
I zip an XL jacket over the baby, who is passed out in the Ergo.
Sumshine 07:23 AM 01-17-2017
All great ideas! I never thought about putting a carrier under my jacket I am sure it would fit! This will be a good idea especially if I end up getting a really little one next winter. This one's a chunk! I am going to try a few different ways this week and see what works best!
Snowmom 07:32 AM 01-17-2017
Fellow Minnesotan here

I keep a plastic little tikes wagon outside for the younger ones. I've also kept my littles who sit up nicely in an inflatable sled to play.
Play Care 09:39 AM 01-17-2017
All great ideas! I never thought about putting a carrier under my jacket I am sure it would fit! This will be a good idea especially if I end up getting a really little one next winter. This one's a chunk! I am going to try a few different ways this week and see what works best!
Maybe I'm just really awkward or something but I never could find a carrier that made me feel that baby was safe and secure. When I'm with dck's, I'm bending, twisting, picking kids up (barely walkers ) running after kids, etc. etc. I find I need my hands and body free to move how I need it to move.
Sumshine 11:11 AM 01-17-2017
Maybe I'm just really awkward or something but I never could find a carrier that made me feel that baby was safe and secure. When I'm with dck's, I'm bending, twisting, picking kids up (barely walkers ) running after kids, etc. etc. I find I need my hands and body free to move how I need it to move.
I think they feel secure as long as I'm not trying to do crazy things but it does limit me to awkward bending and one handed helping! Which then hurts my back especially if it's a big ol baby! I went to the zoo this summer with my son and a woman had her full grown 4+ year old kid in a carrier of some sort on her back. There is no way I could do that. Strollers all the way over here! I just can't wait for it to be nicer out. We spent so much time outside last summer and I'm hoping to be able to do that again this summer! We will see how it goes with twice as many little ones
happymom 11:25 AM 01-17-2017
A good soft structured carriers feels good and baby feels secure. Something ergodynamic: Tula, Ergo, Chimparoo, Lillebaby, Boba -- there are a few others -- and use an infant insert if they are too small for the carrier.

Front carries for babies who can not sit unassisted, back carries if they can (although then you might have another plan for them)
Snowmom 12:49 PM 01-17-2017
That's how I feel too.
More for safety reasons than anything though.

I have 7 very active preschool boys. I need to be able to intervene quickly- can't do that with a baby strapped on me. Or if I did, I'd be afraid I was moving to quickly and injure baby.
I have this mental image of me flying through the air trying to catch a daredevil diving off the climber... with a baby carrier.

Nope.

My wonder woman skills aren't up to par.
Lovatic24 08:12 PM 01-17-2017
Some (all?) Lillebaby carriers come with a back support and it is WONDERFUL. Check offerupnow.com and ebay for a used one.
Josiegirl 02:28 AM 01-18-2017
But we're not allowed to let the babies sleep in a front pack either, are we? That was my problem. Every single time I used it, baby would zonk right out.
CAN'T wait for stroller weather!!!
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
But we're not allowed to let the babies sleep in a front pack either, are we? That was my problem. Every single time I used it, baby would zonk right out.
CAN'T wait for stroller weather!!!
Infants sleeping in carriers here in my state is starting to be heavily scrutinized as well. I have a feeling that soon, we will not be able to use sling or wrap carriers at all and providers will be cited if an infant is sleeping while being worn.

It's also becoming an issue in regards to supervision. The DHS naughty list has had some providers being issued a citation for not being able to 'safely supervise and/or intervene' while "wearing" an infant.
Reply Up