Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Week Trial Period Questions
LeslieG 10:44 AM 01-16-2017
I started a 2.5 year old dcb today and I feel like I made a mistake enrolling him. I know it's only day 1, and I will give it a little more time, but I have never had a child quite like him. He does not communicate with other kids or myself, he spends about 30 seconds per activity, and runs everywhere, he climbs on tables, he hits and spits at me when I try to redirect him, etc.

I've never had to term a family during the 2 week trial period before. If I end up having to do that with him, how do I go about it? Can I tell them after just one week that it's not going to work out, or do I need to wait until the end of week two? Once I give them notice, how long do I give them to find alternative care? Do you give a paper statement?

Thank you!
Sumshine 11:10 AM 01-16-2017
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
I started a 2.5 year old dcb today and I feel like I made a mistake enrolling him. I know it's only day 1, and I will give it a little more time, but I have never had a child quite like him. He does not communicate with other kids or myself, he spends about 30 seconds per activity, and runs everywhere, he climbs on tables, he hits and spits at me when I try to redirect him, etc.

I've never had to term a family during the 2 week trial period before. If I end up having to do that with him, how do I go about it? Can I tell them after just one week that it's not going to work out, or do I need to wait until the end of week two? Once I give them notice, how long do I give them to find alternative care? Do you give a paper statement?

Thank you!
I have never had to do it myself but I am prepared if I ever have to. I already have a pre typed up document on my computer. It just simply states the rules to my 2 week trial period that they signed off on and then I leave it open-ended so I can choose when to offer the last day of care. If your policy isn't very clear I would go back and rewrite it as well to ensure that you are able to actually utilize this trial period to your advantage should you ever have to use it.

I make it a point when enrolling to make sure that both parties understand that we can terminate care at any time during the first two weeks without any notice. I simply explain that they will not receive any refunds from me and that they are not required to pay me like a regular two week notice until the contract actually takes effect after the trail period as written in the contract.

Let's say tomorrow isn't a good day I would simply send them the letter home terminating care immediately or maybe till the end of the week if you felt you could stick it out. At this point if they have paid you in advance you would not give them a refund on any funds even if they paid you for two full weeks and he only was in daycare for a day or two.

Let's say they only paid you for this week then they wouldn't have to pay you an additional two weeks worth of care regardless if present or not like a regular notice would need.

Let's say that you said you would watch him for another week so they can find an alternative and they have only paid you for one week I would make it a point to say that they still need to pay you for your services until the date stated on the letter regardless if the child is present or not.
Blackcat31 11:46 AM 01-16-2017

Thank you!
Any child that spits at me or attempts to hit me is termed immediately. NO exceptions....

Those behaviors cross a line for me and are things I will not tolerate.

I'd have the child's belongings ready at pick up (and any money paid for additional care beyond today) and tell them goodbye and good luck.

I'm sorry you are having this issue.
You are kind to want to give it a bit longer but IME, you can't fix that kind of issue without a TON of work on your part and if he's comfy enought to hit/spit on day one that tells me more than I wanna know.
Snowmom 02:32 PM 01-17-2017

Thank you!
You can tell them at any time!
There's no need to continue to be miserable just to wait out the entire two weeks. When you know, you know!
mommyneedsadayoff 02:42 PM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Any child that spits at me or attempts to hit me is termed immediately. NO exceptions....

Those behaviors cross a line for me and are things I will not tolerate.

I'd have the child's belongings ready at pick up (and any money paid for additional care beyond today) and tell them goodbye and good luck.

I'm sorry you are having this issue.
You are kind to want to give it a bit longer but IME, you can't fix that kind of issue without a TON of work on your part and if he's comfy enought to hit/spit on day one that tells me more than I wanna know.
YESSSS! I am done trying to "fix" these kids. It is a termination for me as well. It is NOT normal and no matter what sad excuse the parent has, it is never enough of an excuse to treat others so disrespectfully.
Ariana 05:27 PM 01-17-2017
I have termed twice within my 6 week trial period. Once for very similar behavior. Chikd was CRAZY!

I simply told them that it was not going to work, outlined the behaviors that were not working for me and told them all of this in an email. Both times I made it my issue, saying that is was becoming too stressful for me and the other kids. The parents generally felt pretty bad and understood. They know their kid is a nightmare! Lol
LeslieG 07:55 AM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have termed twice within my 6 week trial period. Once for very similar behavior. Chikd was CRAZY!

I simply told them that it was not going to work, outlined the behaviors that were not working for me and told them all of this in an email. Both times I made it my issue, saying that is was becoming too stressful for me and the other kids. The parents generally felt pretty bad and understood. They know their kid is a nightmare! Lol
Thank you!! That's great advice to make it your issue, because I've been struggling with how to word things. I don't want to offend the parents.
Heart12 08:00 AM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by Sumshine:
I have never had to do it myself but I am prepared if I ever have to. I already have a pre typed up document on my computer. It just simply states the rules to my 2 week trial period that they signed off on and then I leave it open-ended so I can choose when to offer the last day of care. If your policy isn't very clear I would go back and rewrite it as well to ensure that you are able to actually utilize this trial period to your advantage should you ever have to use it.

I make it a point when enrolling to make sure that both parties understand that we can terminate care at any time during the first two weeks without any notice. I simply explain that they will not receive any refunds from me and that they are not required to pay me like a regular two week notice until the contract actually takes effect after the trail period as written in the contract.

Let's say tomorrow isn't a good day I would simply send them the letter home terminating care immediately or maybe till the end of the week if you felt you could stick it out. At this point if they have paid you in advance you would not give them a refund on any funds even if they paid you for two full weeks and he only was in daycare for a day or two.

Let's say they only paid you for this week then they wouldn't have to pay you an additional two weeks worth of care regardless if present or not like a regular notice would need.

Let's say that you said you would watch him for another week so they can find an alternative and they have only paid you for one week I would make it a point to say that they still need to pay you for your services until the date stated on the letter regardless if the child is present or not.
Would you care to share this letter?
Sumshine 10:18 AM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by Heart12:
Would you care to share this letter?
Termination of Care Notice
To:
Date:

This notice is to inform you of termination of care.

As you know I have specifications in our contract for a two-week trial period. I'm afraid that I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to continue with a contract.

I will continue to provide care for _____ until ____ so that you may have time to find other arrangements. As we are still in the trial period I will understand if you find care for them sooner than this date. Please let me know if this happens.

If you choose to utilize me for care until date of _______ you are required to pay me in full for every day of scheduled care regardless of attendance. As per my contract I give no refunds so you will not be refunded for any fees you have paid in advance if you choose to end care before this date.

Thank you,

___________(your sig)

_____________(parent sig) _____(date)

****** so I would use this one more for if I'm going to try to stick it out throughout the rest of the trial period or beyond that to give them more time for arrangements. I would basically verbally tell them that they have to pay me in advance for any care they schedule with me up until this date and then since I don't give refunds that basically are paying me until this date anyways even if it is still within the trial period and they choose to back out because they found other care the only time the trial period really works in favor for my parents is if they are the ones deciding not to come back during this time and they only paid me for 1 week of care upfront.

******* if I am looking to terminate care immediately even if it is/isnt within the 2 week trial period this is what I would use. I make it a point to tell parents that I do try to give a 2 week notice but for certain circumstances I make sure to let them know that I reserve the right to terminate at will.

Termination of Care Notice
To:
Date:

This notice is to inform you of termination of care for ______________.

This termination of carries at my will/discretion as a provider and is effective immediately.

In accordance to the enrolment contract you are not a required to pay me 2 weeks in fees as notice, but you will not receive a refund for any fees you have paid me in advance per my contract.

Thank you,

___________(your sig)

_____________(parent sig) _____(date)
Tags:trial period, two week - trial
Reply Up