Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Morning Message instead of Letter of the Week??
SunflowerMama 04:52 AM 04-14-2011
I read about Morning Messages on this blog and really like the idea.

http://www.pre-kpages.com/mornmessage/

Does anyone do this? Do the kids like it? What do you do to keep their attention? What sort of things do you write?

My board is pretty small so I don't know how much I could write every day but I'd like to start doing something like this.
daysofelijah 06:35 AM 04-14-2011
I had a teacher I student taught for do that. I can't remember what grade it was, maybe kindergarten? If you had an older group it might work. It would help if they already knew letters and their sounds, but I supposed they wouldn't have to. They could learn to recognize high frequency words.

The teacher I had used one of those giant lined notebooks on an easel and wrote it out with a marker. She would leave blanks for words that she would have the class fill in, like the date. Something like this

Good Morning Class,

Today is Thursday, April 15, 2011. Today we will have art, gym and media. Johnny is our star of the day.

We will have a fun day.

Mrs. Smith
SunflowerMama 07:36 AM 04-14-2011
Almost all of my dcks are 4 so we tried it today.

They LOVED it!! I have a dry erase easel from Ikea and I used that. I wrote something similar to what you posted.

This was written before circle...
Dear Class,
Today is Thursday, April 14.

Then I wrote this with them watching...
J is our leader today.
J loves Christmas.

At the top I had 'Tt' written and circled in a different color. The leader came up and we read through the message and then she circled all the Ts with the different color marker.

They really enjoyed it and and after we counted the Ts they wanted to count all the other letters and see which letter was found the most in the message. We'll definitely do this daily now.
Tags:letter of the week, newsletter
Reply Up