Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Never Had A Request Like This...Not Sure What To Say?
NiNi.R. 08:04 AM 11-15-2011
I've been contemplating changing my hours next summer from 6am-6pm to 7:30am-5:30pm. If I do this I would no longer be able to care for one of my DCKs which to be completely honest would not break my heart as the mother tends to cause me lots of stress. Her child is here Mon.-Thurs. 6am-6pm and the mother is always wanting freebies.

Today I had an inquiry for a mother wanting her daughter to start August of 2012. This mother would be willing to pay my non refundable deposit and holding fee until then. Her hours would be Mon.-Fri. 7:30am- 4pm. Currently the daughter is being watched by a friend who is a SAHM. SAHMs kids are in school during the day so the daughter has no interaction with other children and mom would like to have some.

I told her to let me think about it. I've never had anyone hold a spot for that long before. Another thing that crossed my mind is that a DCM of mine might end up pregnant by then and I would be absolutely devastated if I didn't have an opening. Which I realize I probably shouldn't worry about something that "might" happen.

So now I don't know what to do. Should I schedule an interview and go from there. Maybe even see if she would be willing to switch to daycare sooner. Or tell her to check back next summer and put her on the waiting list?

My husband thinks I should be willing to hold a spot for her as long as the interview process pans out okay and then when I do change my hours I will already have a fill in. I on the other hand find it completely absurd that someone would be willing to pay a person a weekly fee for an entire year.

What do you think?
Zoe 08:23 AM 11-15-2011
I would have the interview. It's so far away it couldn't hurt. And if this mom is willing to hold a spot for that long, would the holding fee make up a little bit for getting rid of the annoying dcm? You could change your hours then. But I wouldn't do that until you have something for SURE lined up.
small_steps 08:29 AM 11-15-2011
If she is willing to pay your holding fee until then I would say go for it if you like her and the interview goes well. The hours work great with your new schedule and you're already thinking it would be nice without the other child. You're right..you can't always leave a space open just in case one of your mom's turns out to be pregnant. Also, a lot can happen in 9 months. Someone could age out or you could lose someone. Never know what the future holds.
wdmmom 08:33 AM 11-15-2011
I would interview and see if she's a good fit for your group.

Schedule an interview sometime between now and Christmas. Then schedule another sometime late January.

If she's truly interested, I'd charge her a 4 week non refundable deposit and $50 per week to hold the spot for 6 months. (All of which is non refundable too.) If the DCM is game, tell her that when she starts, the deposit she pays will go towards her first 2 weeks and last 2 weeks of daycare.

The only problem I see going forward is, you will have to give notice that you are terminating the contract. When the current DCM asks, just tell her that you are unable to accommodate such long hours. If she knows you are changing your hours, she might have some flexibility and want her son to stay.
nannyde 08:38 AM 11-15-2011
Way too far in advance to consider.

Can you tell me why the child is in your home twelve hours a day? A child that is in care that many hours has an extremely high probability of having profound issues. A parent who accesses 12 hours a day of child care plus travel time with their child each day is going to have an EXTREMELY high probability of having PROFOUND behavior issues with their child and child care provider.

If the child is on free day care it's even MORE likely to have parental behavior issues. There isn't enough awake time left in a child's or parents 24 hour day to have any kind of decent parenting.

We REALLY need to see States intervene and cap the number of hours in child care a child can be before it is considered neglect. They intervene on matters that are *****y tiny compared to the issue of all awake hours care away from home.
Country Kids 08:48 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Can you tell me why the child is in your home twelve hours a day? A child that is in care that many hours has an extremely high probability of having profound issues. A parent who accesses 12 hours a day of child care plus travel time with their child each day is going to have an EXTREMELY high probability of having PROFOUND behavior issues with their child and child care provider.

If the child is on free day care it's even MORE likely to have parental behavior issues. There isn't enough awake time left in a child's or parents 24 hour day to have any kind of decent parenting.

We REALLY need to see States intervene and cap the number of hours in child care a child can be before it is considered neglect. They intervene on matters that are *****y tiny compared to the issue of all awake hours care away from home.
Nan you seem to forget that there are some parents that do work 12 hour days. By the way I'm one of them! Every nurse that works in our hospital does, my husband use to, alot of the men in the summer work in the woods 12 hour days, I'm sure there are many more.

So before you start saying the state needs to cap the amount a child can be in childcare maybe it needs to start with the workforce. No one, and I mean no one should have to work more than 8 hours a day-including childcare providers. Is that what you are thinking? You know how messed up it would make the workforce. Firefighters, paramedics, doctors, nurses, manufactures, lumber employers, daycare providers, would all only be able to work 8 hours? I don't see it working.
daycare 08:48 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
I've been contemplating changing my hours next summer from 6am-6pm to 7:30am-5:30pm. If I do this I would no longer be able to care for one of my DCKs which to be completely honest would not break my heart as the mother tends to cause me lots of stress. Her child is here Mon.-Thurs. 6am-6pm and the mother is always wanting freebies.

Today I had an inquiry for a mother wanting her daughter to start August of 2012. This mother would be willing to pay my non refundable deposit and holding fee until then. Her hours would be Mon.-Fri. 7:30am- 4pm. Currently the daughter is being watched by a friend who is a SAHM. SAHMs kids are in school during the day so the daughter has no interaction with other children and mom would like to have some.

I told her to let me think about it. I've never had anyone hold a spot for that long before. Another thing that crossed my mind is that a DCM of mine might end up pregnant by then and I would be absolutely devastated if I didn't have an opening. Which I realize I probably shouldn't worry about something that "might" happen.

So now I don't know what to do. Should I schedule an interview and go from there. Maybe even see if she would be willing to switch to daycare sooner. Or tell her to check back next summer and put her on the waiting list?

My husband thinks I should be willing to hold a spot for her as long as the interview process pans out okay and then when I do change my hours I will already have a fill in. I on the other hand find it completely absurd that someone would be willing to pay a person a weekly fee for an entire year.

What do you think?
why wait until summer to change your hours? If I had a parent that always gave me a hard time, NO amount of money would help me keep their child.

I would rewrite your policies come December and hand them out to go into effect the start of the new year. Or if you want to be nice like me you can give it out after christmas and have it start in Feb.

I have learned my lesson the hard way trying to keep people that really don't fit in my program, but kept them because of money reasons.

For me the business relationship is with the parent and has to work at least 99% of the time or I can't do business with you...

If I got this call, I would tell the parent that so much can change in 9 months, get her information and then contact her a month or two before she needs care.
daycare 08:51 AM 11-15-2011

My husband is EMS and he used to work rotating 48 hr shifts....NOW because of budget cuts, he has to work 14 hour days every 3 days....It stinks

Not all families can work 9-5
dEHmom 08:58 AM 11-15-2011
I didn't read the responses on this, sorry. But this is what I decided to do, so that now that I am licensed I am not being taken advantage of.

Before I didn't have operating hours, because I only had 1-2 kids at the time I just based it on their needs.

Now what I decided was my hours are 6:30-5pm. HOWEVER, I still contract based on families needs, and advertise this. You are given a 4-9 hour slot for whatever you need. BUT if your hours go outside of this timeframe, then it's an additional $5/hour. So I'll open earlier if you need, but it's $5, and I'll work till 5:30 or 6pm for additional $5 with NO RECEIPT provided as this is a courtesy.

IF you are exceeding a 9 hr timeframe there is a $5/half hour. And if you are past 6pm, it's $5/15 mins or portion of.
NiNi.R. 09:12 AM 11-15-2011

I agree with you a 100% that children should not be in care 12 hours a day. Unfortunately around here there are a couple big companies(where the majority of the town works) that have switched to 4-10s and at this countertop place where she works. More orders later hours in those 4 days and sometimes even working 5 days. Other small businesses in town such as dentist offices, boutiques make good money on Fridays because others are off of work and schedule their outings on those days. So because of this I have some parents that work 4-10 + hour days and some that work 5- 8 hour days. The freebies quit at the beginning of November with the new contract hand out but I kept the same hours because the likely hood of people needing the longer hours was great and am not sure what changing the hours would do to my business. So over the course of the next few months I thought I would build up a savings to prepare for a possibly rough transition. Which is why I would wait until summer.
NiNi.R. 09:19 AM 11-15-2011
[quote=nannyde;166229]Way too far in advance to consider.

I just want to add that this child is really well behaved most of the time..I've taken care of children that have had worse behavioral issues but the child most definitely has an issue with constantly wanting attention. She always puts on a show for other DCMs during pick up and drop offs. Just this morning the kids were singing in a normal tone with a mom walked in. Suddenly, this girl stands up and is yelling the song and giggly while staring at the DCM. ALWAYS ALWAYS seeking attention in similar attempts several times a day.
nannyde 09:51 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
ALWAYS ALWAYS seeking attention in similar attempts several times a day.
That's the profound I'm talking about... the always always part
daycare 10:14 AM 11-15-2011
That's the profound I'm talking about... the always always part
as normal, I have to agree with you Nan..

I had a family that had their child here for about 8.5 hours a day. then the parents took on some business contracts that caused them to need care for their children 12 hours a day.

The kids ate EVERY meal at my house.

I did not really have behavior issues here at my house with the kids, we had sleeping issues and drop off/pick up issues.

EVERY SINGLE DAY, the parents would come and complain about the childrens behavior at home. Their reasoning was that because I pretty much was their primary care giver that I was responsible for the childrens bad behavior.

Never in my life will I care for a child past 9.5-10 hour days... AND I will never serve dinner to any family ever again, unless its a one time deal...
renodeb 10:16 AM 11-15-2011
I would have the interview, As you said, you cant hang onto something that might happen. You never know, they might be great. It would be kinda nice to have your deck stacked a little.
Debbie
small_steps 10:21 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Nan you seem to forget that there are some parents that do work 12 hour days. By the way I'm one of them! Every nurse that works in our hospital does, my husband use to, alot of the men in the summer work in the woods 12 hour days, I'm sure there are many more.

So before you start saying the state needs to cap the amount a child can be in childcare maybe it needs to start with the workforce. No one, and I mean no one should have to work more than 8 hours a day-including childcare providers. Is that what you are thinking? You know how messed up it would make the workforce. Firefighters, paramedics, doctors, nurses, manufactures, lumber employers, daycare providers, would all only be able to work 8 hours? I don't see it working.
I agree with both posts. There are so many people that do work 12 hour shifts and sometimes there isn't two parents in the picture. I can see how 12 hour care could be necessary for certain couples. But then you have a lot of parents (I have a couple of them now) who leave their children in daycare all day when they don't work that many hours. it's really sad for the child. I have looked at the way some of you guys do your policies and honestly wish I would have seen them before I opened a year ago and I might have changed mine to where I do only provide care during contracted hours when the parents are at work. I have one parent that works 12 hour shifts and is off 1-2 days per week. The little girl is still here all day on those days as well. Another couple works most of the week but the dad is off most Friday. This child is also here every day all day. I'm not saying don't bring your children if you're off because I know it's easier to get housework done and grocery shopping done without them but pick them up earlier on those days. Sheesh. Just so sad for these kiddos.
countrymom 10:26 AM 11-15-2011
I wouldn't do an interview that far in advance. I had people in the summer contacting me for jan and feb. I tell everyone, to contact me a month before they are to go back to work.

I had a mom who I held a spot for 6months, she paid a holding fee but guess what, she changed her mind and I didn't get a kid, so then I was back to square one.

I agree, children shouldn't be in care for 12 hours. I find it odd that both mother and father need those hours. do most spouses work together, no they don't. Now if one parent works 12 hours, then the other parent usually doesn't so there is no need for 12 hour shifts. Also, this will start to ween out people who abuse the system. Oh those who work 12 hour shifts usually only require care 2 or 3 days a weeks.
Country Kids 10:31 AM 11-15-2011
My husband and I worked at a company together. He worked the 12 hour shifts and I had 8 hour shifts. The thing though his were rotating shifts, so even if he was off he was usually asleep all day while I was at work because he had just got off at 6 in the morning. I worked strictly days. He would work 2 weeks days, 2 weeks nights. Both shifts were 12 hours. So yes, even though he was off he was sleeping hence the reason our child was in childcare.
harperluu 10:46 AM 11-15-2011

My husband is a police officer. As a family we bent over backwards to limit the time our children were in childcare before I worked from my home. We all know there are more than just a 6:00 am - 6:00 pm nurse shift available each day. We are not all single parent families. We are not all working from 6:00 am - 6:00 pm each day. Five days a week. No nurse or fire fighter works those shifts. None.

I care for the children of a large number of nurses and police officers because I offer flexible hours to those families. Not one EVER has had their kids in for 12 hours per day, 5 days a week. I've been doing childcare for nearly 8 years. And my nurses and police officers have there children in childcare the least out of anyone, BECAUSE they work shift work and value their time with their children.

In case anyone needs reminding (preaching to the choir I'm sure), but no matter how delightful and educational and warm and cozy a child care home is, it is not home. It is not parent time. It is not meant to be those things. It is as much a 12 hour job for those children as it is for you to work a 12 hour shift.

We also know that the reason these kids are in childcare for 12 hours each day isn't because a family is struggling to make ends meet working a 12 hour daytime shift. Maybe a few, but not enough to even really be notable.

Okay. I'm done.
daycare 10:55 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by harperluu:
My husband is a police officer. As a family we bent over backwards to limit the time our children were in childcare before I worked from my home. We all know there are more than just a 6:00 am - 6:00 pm nurse shift available each day. We are not all single parent families. We are not all working from 6:00 am - 6:00 pm each day. Five days a week. No nurse or fire fighter works those shifts. None.

I care for the children of a large number of nurses and police officers because I offer flexible hours to those families. Not one EVER has had their kids in for 12 hours per day, 5 days a week. I've been doing childcare for nearly 8 years. And my nurses and police officers have there children in childcare the least out of anyone, BECAUSE they work shift work and value their time with their children.

In case anyone needs reminding (preaching to the choir I'm sure), but no matter how delightful and educational and warm and cozy a child care home is, it is not home. It is not parent time. It is not meant to be those things. It is as much a 12 hour job for those children as it is for you to work a 12 hour shift.

We also know that the reason these kids are in childcare for 12 hours each day isn't because a family is struggling to make ends meet working a 12 hour daytime shift. Maybe a few, but not enough to even really be notable.

Okay. I'm done.
. We are not all working from 6:00 am - 6:00 pm each day. Five days a week. No nurse or fire fighter works those shifts. None.

the above statement is so not true. My husband has been in the medical field in the ER and has been in fire EMS for almost 15 years. There have been times that both jobs have required mandatory over time and he was working 12+ hour days some times 6 days a week.

During the forest fires, fire season
Also during the H1N1, he was working night and day non stop at the hospital.

this was going on for months....so I know first hand that it can happen

My husband has worked both jobs also for almost 7 years... separately over 15 yrs
Country Kids 11:02 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
. We are not all working from 6:00 am - 6:00 pm each day. Five days a week. No nurse or fire fighter works those shifts. None.

the above statement is so not true. My husband has been in the medical field in the ER and has been in fire EMS for almost 15 years. There have been times that both jobs have required mandatory over time and he was working 12+ hour days some times 6 days a week.

My husband has worked both jobs also for almost 7 years... separately over 15 yrs
And the choir sang "AMEN"!
NiNi.R. 12:17 PM 11-15-2011
I changed my contract at the beginning of November to a rate structure that Nan has. I assumed DCM would switch daycares or magically be able to find someone to pick her child up earlier. She didn't. Her rate went up an extra 15.00 a week as well as shelling out an extra 15.00 a day that her school-ager was in my care during school closures (something she used to get for free.)

She's a single mom and the only family member that can help her out is the grandma. She works at the other major company in town and doesn't get back into town until 6pm. So on nights that DCM won't make it into town grandma picks them up at 6pm. Obviously she needs it....I'd think being a single mom she would jump at the chance to get cheaper daycare if she could make it happen. I do feel for her but I realize as my children get older and begin school working 6am-6pm won't be doable for me.

Unfortunately, I didn't intend on this thread to be a debate about rather or not children should be in care for 12 hours a day. I agree that they shouldn't...but some parents like this particular mom can't work it out to be any other way. I find it sad but realize that some people just can't help it.

I on the other hand would like to change my hours to prevent myself from working such long hours in the coming months. But, as discussed above have been hesitant to do so because I worry the demand for the parents that work 4-10s is greater than parents that work 5-8s.
dEHmom 12:26 PM 11-15-2011
One thing that works well, is standing firm, and saying sorry these are the hours I am open. Many times parents will say "but I work till 5, I can't get here till 530" and you say "sorry I close at 5" guess what??? They magically are able to pick their child up at 5. Not to sound uncaring, but it's not your problem. They need to work it out.

For extra pay you can offer certain families, or all families, the option of a later pickup. I do this simply because I have families that are AWESOME families, who work shifts that sometimes can't always fit in to the hours I am open. And with the brutal winters we have, I know sometimes it can take an hour to get from work to here. So I offer this to them.

I've checked around, and ALL daycares here close at 5. ALL of them. But I offer after 5pm as a bonus. With no receipt provided.

When the bank closes it closes, when the mall closes it closes, when the dentist closes it closes. There is no room for discussion.
harperluu 01:28 PM 11-15-2011

So his shift was from 6:00 am - 6:00 pm. That was his shift? Those exact hours. You were also working that exact shift? Those exact hours? At one single job. All the time. Everyday. Did he choose two jobs? Yes. Did he choose two jobs over his children? Seems like it. Did your children choose to spend 12 hours a day in childcare 6 days a week? No, ma'am that was your choice.

My point has been made.
Country Kids 01:39 PM 11-15-2011
So his shift was from 6:00 am - 6:00 pm. That was his shift? Those exact hours. You were also working that exact shift? Those exact hours? At one single job. All the time. Everyday. Did he choose two jobs? Yes. Did he choose two jobs over his children? Seems like it. Did your children choose to spend 12 hours a day in childcare 6 days a week? No, ma'am that was your choice.

My point has been made.
Where my husband worked 12 hour shifts many husband and wifes worked there. Everyone arrived about 5:45 and left about 6:15 and yes many had children. So yes they were in childcare a long time but it was an awesome company to work for and they took excellent care of their employees.

I was in an area of the same company that only needed me 8 hours but I did have to have my child in childcare at 5:30 in the morning.
harperluu 02:56 PM 11-15-2011
Where my husband worked 12 hour shifts many husband and wifes worked there. Everyone arrived about 5:45 and left about 6:15 and yes many had children. So yes they were in childcare a long time but it was an awesome company to work for and they took excellent care of their employees.

I was in an area of the same company that only needed me 8 hours but I did have to have my child in childcare at 5:30 in the morning.
A company that has their employees work 12 hour shifts with mandatory overtime 6 days a week, doesn't give a hoot about their employees or their children or their wives. That's just me. No child should be in childcare 12 hour days. Children are paying the tab for this fabulous company.
Country Kids 03:19 PM 11-15-2011
A company that has their employees work 12 hour shifts with mandatory overtime 6 days a week, doesn't give a hoot about their employees or their children or their wives. That's just me. No child should be in childcare 12 hour days. Children are paying the tab for this fabulous company.
I never said my husband worked 6 days straight. Did you even read my post? It would be 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off, 2 on, etc. After two weeks you flipped to the other shift. Yes, there were times that they did have to do overtime but guess what not the companies fault they kept getting orders for the product they made. Kept the company going many years till the reseccion.
Sunchimes 03:38 PM 11-15-2011
I have a baby here (14 months old) 12.5 hours a day. Her parents are both in law enforcement and work 12 hour shifts. She's here 3 days one week and 2 days the next. Her Grandma keeps her when they work on Sundays. For the first 10 months of her life, one parent worked days, one worked nights, so she was always with a parent. Then, their shifts changed and now they work the same hours, and I have the baby.

I've had her for 3 months, and until the last week, she has screamed or whined for 8 of those hours. She had never been around another child, and she hates them. She's fine with me, doesn't cry at drop off. But as soon as another child arrives, she's crying. If another child touches her or looks at her, she cries. I was going to drop her after Christmas, but I'm re-thinking it. The past week, she seems to have turned a corner and there is almost no crying. She isn't fond of the other children, but last week, she didn't cry any more than any other kid, even with the others were near her. Rejoice!! Her mom reports no issues at home and came in happy because she spent some time with a friend's child and actually played. So, at least some good is coming out of this.

Her parent's hate their schedule, but it's their career and it isn't like jobs are common around here. They are glad to have her in a small family setting like mine (I never have more than 3 kids, and most days, 1 or 2).

I got all of my kids because I do odd hours and Saturdays. Some days, she arrives at 5:45 am and the last child leaves at 7:45 pm. I'm getting too old for this, but luckily, those hours are pretty rare now.
daycare 04:15 PM 11-15-2011

My point has been made.
No it was not a choice, it was by force when I got cancer and could not care for my children. and NO he worked from 10 pm to 10 am at the fire house and then would work in the ER from 11am-7:30Pm.

Trust me, there is an exception to every rule...

I didnt choose to get cancer, and my husband did NOT chose to have to work 2 jobs.....But what we did chose is to allow someone else to take care of them so that I could fight the battle........

Also, what about single parents? I have had single parents that have to work crazy schedules of 12+ hr days.....
daycare 04:23 PM 11-15-2011
Should and need are two totally different things.

For example, I had a child of a single mom. She worked a regular 9 hour shift, but her job took almost 1.5 hours to get there and back. I guess it was worth the money for her to do the commute. The father of the child was in the Army and her nearest relative was hours away.

I know this woman did not go into a marriage with the hopes of divorcing and becoming a single parent, but that's what happened and she was the sole provider for herself and her son.....

So what is this mom supposed to do?

Ugh, this is a thread that we all have beaten to death in the past...

Bottom like should a kid be in daycare for 12 hours?NO, but some people don't have a choice and NEED their child to be cared for so that they can provide for their family. Who cares if they made good or bad decisions which got them to that point, that doesn't matter to me....

I feel bad for those families that are faced with this and I feel even worse for the children. BUT I will no longer work for them. I just don't have the energy left to do it anymore.....
NiNi.R. 05:05 PM 11-15-2011
Should and need are two totally different things.

For example, I had a child of a single mom. She worked a regular 9 hour shift, but her job took almost 1.5 hours to get there and back. I guess it was worth the money for her to do the commute. The father of the child was in the Army and her nearest relative was hours away.

I know this woman did not go into a marriage with the hopes of divorcing and becoming a single parent, but that's what happened and she was the sole provider for herself and her son.....

So what is this mom supposed to do?

Ugh, this is a thread that we all have beaten to death in the past...

Bottom like should a kid be in daycare for 12 hours?NO, but some people don't have a choice and NEED their child to be cared for so that they can provide for their family. Who cares if they made good or bad decisions which got them to that point, that doesn't matter to me....

I feel bad for those families that are faced with this and I feel even worse for the children. BUT I will no longer work for them. I just don't have the energy left to do it anymore.....
Well this thread wasn't supposed to be about rather or not children should be in care for 12 hours, why parents have the schedules they do, and if there is a way around it. It wasn't about rather or not I should change by hours or how to stay firm with those hours.

What I wanted to know was if it seemed logical or not to schedule an interview for a mom willing to pay a weekly holding fee for a slot 9 months away.

Not sure how exactly it turned into such a debate about the parent's work hours...
daycare 05:20 PM 11-15-2011
I realize this and hints why I said we've discussed it a million times and wasn't going to beat a dead horse. Lol

This is a hot button and sometimes post get off topic..

Sorry
harperluu 07:42 AM 11-16-2011
Although I didn't mean to drag the post off topic, I do find it interesting how a post in which I made a general statement about families looking for childcare that tend to bring their children for the full 12 hours regardless of what shift they work was turned into a post about one specific person. With cancer.

Sorry about your cancer. We all have family situations that we work through. My sister died on Sept. 11. Neither have anything to do with families that choose to bring children the full 12 hour days, and the potential detriment it causes. But I guess you showed me.
harperluu 07:46 AM 11-16-2011
I never said my husband worked 6 days straight. Did you even read my post? It would be 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off, 2 on, etc. After two weeks you flipped to the other shift. Yes, there were times that they did have to do overtime but guess what not the companies fault they kept getting orders for the product they made. Kept the company going many years till the reseccion.
Yup. I read it. Here's what it said exactly:

My husband has been in the medical field in the ER and has been in fire EMS for almost 15 years. There have been times that both jobs have required mandatory over time and he was working 12+ hour days some times 6 days a week.
Country Kids 07:50 AM 11-16-2011
Yup. I read it. Here's what it said exactly:

My husband has been in the medical field in the ER and has been in fire EMS for almost 15 years. There have been times that both jobs have required mandatory over time and he was working 12+ hour days some times 6 days a week.
You might really, really want to read who posts what! My husband wasn't in the medical field, he was in manufacturing. That wasn't my post. I didn't even have cancer, that was another poster. Please slow way down whe reading and reposting quotes so that you get the right person-
MamaBear 08:25 AM 11-16-2011
Wow, this thread took a turn... I was just going to say that I would maybe tour the mom who wants future childcare, but I wouldn't promise her any space. Thats so far off from now. But nice to let her see your daycare for future possibilities.

I used to be open 6am-6pm too and it just got too tiring for me and I needed more time to dedicate to my own family. So I changed my hours to 7am-5pm. Best decision I ever made! Yes I lost one family, but I was okay with that. I am so happy that I made that change! I gave them about 2 months notice but I dont really think you need to give that much time. Good luck
NiNi.R. 08:44 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
Wow, this thread took a turn... I was just going to say that I would maybe tour the mom who wants future childcare, but I wouldn't promise her any space. Thats so far off from now. But nice to let her see your daycare for future possibilities.

I used to be open 6am-6pm too and it just got too tiring for me and I needed more time to dedicate to my own family. So I changed my hours to 7am-5pm. Best decision I ever made! Yes I lost one family, but I was okay with that. I am so happy that I made that change! I gave them about 2 months notice but I dont really think you need to give that much time. Good luck
Thanks so much! That's what I have decided to do! Good to know the change of hours will be a relief when I do decide it is the right time to change them
mommiesherie 09:56 AM 11-16-2011

. My daughter is in EMS and she sometimes works 75 to 100 hours in a week. She does not have children yet and chooses to because she loves her job. That being said I have a single mom who is a CNA and she has no choice but to work as many hours as they will give her to just make it. I don't mind at all keeping those children 12 hours a day. I however will not keep children that long every day just for lazy parents. This mom gets them as soon as she gets off and cherishes every minute with them. She just has no other choice. She works weekends as well and use to work 2 jobs. I think every situation is different. These 2 kids are part of my family now and we love this mom like one of my daughters. We are the only people she has because she has no family.
Tags:changing hours, deposit, holding spot, nonrefundable, schedule - changes
Reply Up