Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Would You Pay for Pre-school Computer Classes?
Love2Teach 05:18 AM 09-10-2010
I am thinking of starting my own business where I would travel around and offer computer classes in local daycare centers. The program that I would use is fun and educational for the kids. It will also teach them basic computer skills and vocabulary. I am a certified teacher already so this part of the job will come very natural to me. The classes will be about 30 min to one hour long (depending on age) and run 1 time per week for an 8-week session. The classes would cost $10-15 per session or $80-120 for the full 8 week program.

New research indicates that computer use at an early age increases intelligence. Schools are very technologically oriented nowadays so to me it seems like a great thing to enroll your child into.

Any input would greatly be appreciated. Do you think the prices are too high? Would you think of signing your child up if this was offered at your daycare? Would you be more willing to enroll your child in a daycare because they offered these classes?

Thank you!!!!!
DBug 11:38 AM 09-10-2010
I'm married to a computer guy, so I wouldn't choose a class like this for my own kids. But, it is something that I think my daycare parents would be interested in. Almost all of them are VERY interested in doing anything they can to further their child's early education. I am not sure how much they'd be willing to pay though. I would be more comfortable asking them for about half of what you suggested (ie $5 to $7/session), and they would pay that. Anything over $10/week on top of their current rates would be risky.

Now, if it was a class independent of daycare, run after daycare hours, I'm sure they'd be willing to pay the $10 to $15/session.

It sounds like an intriguing venture! You'll have to let us know how it goes!
Michael 11:53 AM 09-10-2010
Love the idea but once introduced to computers, kids will want to be on them all day they are so overly stimulating.
missnikki 03:56 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by Michael:
Love the idea but once introduced to computers, kids will want to be on them all day they are so overly stimulating.
Yes, I can see how certain sites can be addictive....ahem....
Michael 03:59 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
Yes, I can see how certain sites can be addictive....ahem....
haha, got me....
seashell 04:53 PM 09-10-2010
I offered this in my program for a while and parents were excited to participate. Here's a link for the company we used. It might give you some ideas.

http://www.computerexplorers.com/programs/pre-school/
Love2Teach 04:40 AM 09-11-2010
Do you know if the person who offered this in your daycare is still doing this. Was he/she successful at it? Any particular reason you don't still offer the classes?
Former Teacher 08:39 AM 09-11-2010
My former center use to offer the local Gym Bus. It was a regular school bus that was converted into a mobile gym. Really neat. I know TOTALLY different from what you are offering however the parents paid $45.00 for 6 weeks (once a week for 30 mins).

Parents really enjoyed it as much as the kids. There was no obligation and the Gym Bus and the daycare were kept separate.
Tags:computer class
Reply Up