Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When A Child Leaves.........
happykidschildcare 03:46 PM 05-27-2011
Its been along time since I I've had a child leave my care. I think everytime it happens the experience is a little different depending on the circumstances on why they left.
I've had this paticular child since he was 2 mos old and he is now 16 mos, i got my 2 weeks notice and tried to act like it did not bother me, I asked why cuz I had to know! Their explanation was that they are putting him in a center because they never close, and when I'm sick it really is rough for them to find alt care. Which sorta upsets me cuz I looked up the actually days I closed the past year due to illness and there were only 2 days? in 16 mos care so it makes me wander....
Anyhow I kinda feel like my job was left unfinished, sorta empty....
Im use to a child staying here til they start kinder, then seeing them off even that year with 1/2 days here. Oh well..I know the DCD didnt want the change and Im not sure why DCM was so set on it. And I worry about DCB age 16 mos and his transition into a large center
I hate feeling like my work is undone.
nannyde 04:15 PM 05-27-2011
For me, this would be a pretty short stay so I wouldn't fret over it too much. It sounds like they want longer hours. Many families choose centers because they want twelve hour days and never have to take days off for vacations or sick days. That's a huge advantage to parents who want to make sure they don't have their child very many awake hours a day and can take their vacation days off without their child.

For a child this age the parents can get their awake time down to less than an hour a day if they use the full hours of the center and then just home... supper.. bath... then bed. They don't have to do any free play supervision time or any family activities.

Is there any chance the Mom is after that?
happykidschildcare 04:36 PM 05-27-2011
Yes its one of my shortest stays except for a few I let go during the trial period and 1 I had to term cuz DCD was really rude to me.
I think thats part of it, my hours are 7 am to 5:30 pm and I let them in the door at 6:30 and she mentioned that even then she's late to work and didnt want to inconvience me anymore then she already was...Being first time parents we've had our ups and downs, ins and outs. They over react when the dcb gets a random bite happen 2x the entire stay here ( askin me to term the baby that bit ) They can't stand to see DCB cry what so ever...I think the transition alone will be a rude awakening for them.
cheerfuldom 05:28 PM 05-27-2011
he's going to be crying a heck of a lot more at a center but more than likely, the staff will not tell mom that so she will be happily oblivious
nannyde 05:34 PM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
Yes its one of my shortest stays except for a few I let go during the trial period and 1 I had to term cuz DCD was really rude to me.
I think thats part of it, my hours are 7 am to 5:30 pm and I let them in the door at 6:30 and she mentioned that even then she's late to work and didnt want to inconvience me anymore then she already was...Being first time parents we've had our ups and downs, ins and outs. They over react when the dcb gets a random bite happen 2x the entire stay here ( askin me to term the baby that bit ) They can't stand to see DCB cry what so ever...I think the transition alone will be a rude awakening for them.
Wow

They are already AT eleven hour days. Please tell me it's just four days a week.
Live and Learn 06:04 PM 05-27-2011
....and where do all the biters go when they flunk out of a home daycare?....

A center!

Their lil guy is going to be bit a whole lot more often..... and do centers ever term anyone? almost never! So the biter wil stay and bite, bite, bite their lil guy.

They want the longer hours.
wdmmom 09:49 PM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:

They want the longer hours.
They want as little contact as possible. Get him ready, get him out of the house, and don't see him until sun down. Then all they have to do is transition him right into eating dinner, bath and bed. The less interaction, the better.

Sad that parents are like this but I see it more and more.
Unregistered 12:57 AM 05-28-2011
Why do you automatically assume the worst about everyone? The judgmental attitude in some of these posts makes me sick. It makes me really happy that I no longer take my child to a home daycare. I'd hate to think that my provider was bashing me online. If I was found to talk about any of my clients in this way on the Internet, I would be fired immediately. Reading what all of you say has ruined me on home daycares. It's a shame ... we were the good parents, too, always paying on time, never picking up late, never complaining ... we did it all right. You talk about respect or lack thereof from your parents. Yet the complete lack of respect you have for them is obvious!
littlemissmuffet 01:47 AM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Why do you automatically assume the worst about everyone? The judgmental attitude in some of these posts makes me sick. It makes me really happy that I no longer take my child to a home daycare. I'd hate to think that my provider was bashing me online. If I was found to talk about any of my clients in this way on the Internet, I would be fired immediately. Reading what all of you say has ruined me on home daycares. It's a shame ... we were the good parents, too, always paying on time, never picking up late, never complaining ... we did it all right. You talk about respect or lack thereof from your parents. Yet the complete lack of respect you have for them is obvious!
I agree. To a point. But you are not a childcare provider. You have NO IDEA how common these types of parents are that the PPs are talking about. Parents have to work, I get that. But parents certaintly don't have to take a week vacation and still drop their child off every single day first thing in the morning and pick up 3 minutes before close for the ENTIRE week... while mom and dad are lounging around at home . We see this kind of thing every day and it's becoming more and more common. Parents are becoming lazier, less involved and want to spend as little time with their children as possible without feeling too guilty. We are the ones kids are calling mommy. You don't know that because you're just on the outside looking in.

And for the record, I kow plently of folks who are private nannies and numerous friends of mine work in daycare centers and they feel the exact same way that us dayhome providers do, and they have the exact same discussions we do (even on *gasp* the internet)
Unregistered 05:49 AM 05-28-2011
I get that there are some parents who aren't the greatest. I just hate to see just a broad brush waved around here. I'd love to be able to stay home with my daughter but I can't. We work hard to make sure our daughter is only in daycare 32 hours a week. I take off one afternoon a week and she spends a day a week with grandparents so we can do that. So it hurts me to see providers assume that people like me just want to pass of their child and not deal with her. I just wanted to know that you're turning off some good families with what you say!
MyAngels 09:12 AM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So it hurts me to see providers assume that people like me just want to pass of their child and not deal with her.
You can rest assured that we are not discussing parents like you when we talk about the negative behaviors of the parents of kids in our care, but as the PP said, there are more and more parents out there who would rather do anything than spend time with their children. I have been very fortunate in the 19 years that I've owned my own home daycare to not run into it too often, but I've seen it more and more in the past couple of years.
Tags:lonely - provider
Reply Up